GreaseSpot Cafe

New monitor

GeorgeStGeorge

My 10-yr old CRT monitor was on its last legs, so I broke down and bought a Samsung P2070 flatscreen. Apparently, they just don't make monitors with my accustomed aspect ratio anymore. Naturally, when I hooked it up, everything looked fat. I tried to adjust settings in the Display screen, but the monitor says the optimum setting is 1600X900, and the closest I can get is 1152X864. The driver CD was useless. Can anyone out there help? I find this very annoying, but I hope it's a simple fix.

Thanks,

George

My 10-yr old CRT monitor was on its last legs, so I broke down and bought a Samsung P2070 flatscreen. Apparently, they just don't make monitors with my accustomed aspect ratio anymore. Naturally, when I hooked it up, everything looked fat. I tried to adjust settings in the Display screen, but the monitor says the optimum setting is 1600X900, and the closest I can get is 1152X864. The driver CD was useless. Can anyone out there help? I find this very annoying, but I hope it's a simple fix.

I wish there were such a thing as a simple fix myself.. But I doubt it.. The problem is you are going from the old aspect ratio of 4:3 to a widescreen with an aspect ratio closer to 16:9.. So, you will not have the same "view" you had before..

To make matters worse, depending on your video card/monitor combo, it will only support certain resolutions set in the actual hardware. So if 1152x864 is the closest, then that is going to be what you are stuck with! The options it gives will be all you have available AFAIK. I'd try each setting on the computer and then have the monitor do a quick "auto adjust" between each change to ensure the best adjustment.. And, that's about all the choices I know of..

Just one of those things you suddenly run into when going widescreen! Old aspect ratios are no longer optimal and possibly not even available!

Well, obviously, it's not the width of the screen that's the problem. I don't know why I should open a document or picture, though, and not see it as it should look, sitting on a part of the screen, instead of the whole screen.

My friends at work think I'll need a new video card. I'm thinking a different monitor...

George

I have this issue at work Boss got me a wide screen flat monitor and my computer keeps giving me the error code and I can not seem to make it go away no matter what I try and I have actually gotten used to the wide look of it.

and the error message popping up xeveral times a day at odd moments to block the rest of my screen.

Well, obviously, it's not the width of the screen that's the problem. I don't know why I should open a document or picture, though, and not see it as it should look, sitting on a part of the screen, instead of the whole screen.

My friends at work think I'll need a new video card. I'm thinking a different monitor...

George

This is normal when going to widescreens. And the screen resolution sizes you have available are based on those your video card driver supports and your monitor. Seeing your monitor supports 1600x900 but you don't see it in the resolutions list, leads to the simple fact that your video card driver does not support this resolution normally.

Your friends are right if you care to buy a new part, or you are right if you want your old aspect ratio and get a monitor that isn't a widescreen.

Either choice works, however, you can try to either

A) change your windows registry to add a custom resolution under HK_LM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\ (search for DefaultSettings.XRersolution and DefaultSettings.YResolution) - Change accordingly.

B) Install a shareware program called powerstrip to add the custom resolutions (then remove the program)

C) If you have an NVidia graphics card with their control panel installed, they allow you to enter custom sizes.

Non of these options may work however, as some video cards do not accept custom resolutions.

Please note: Option A & B can end up screwing up your monitor or video card if you select sizes outside the actual hardware limits.

Edited by TrustAndObey

What's the make of your computer?

Most brands (i.e. HP. Dell, etc) have driver downloads on their site.

Have you gone to your brand name's website to download the driver or to see if there is an update?

This could be a simple fix.

And a new video card is less expensive and less trouble to install than you may think!

Chas,

I have an AMD Athlon processor. I believe I have an ATI video card, but I'm not sure. There are a lot of drivers available on the Athlon site; I'm not sure which one I would need.

George

I don't think he meant drivers for the processor... Only your video card drivers will make a difference, and if it is an ATI video card, I doubt updated drivers will change the resolutions you have available.

Best to go to your manufacturers website, and look for video drivers and find the one that matches your video card (if in doubt, look at your device details under My Computer->Properties).

And if the latest drivers don't give extra resolutions, then you "could" try these 3rd party video drivers for ATI.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

George - the drivers are found on your computer's manufacturer's site.

I work on my town's computers and we use Dell. Oftentimes I can resolve a similar issue to yours by going on Dell's web site and downloading the latest video card driver update. Drivers are generally updated as technology evolves.

If you have an HP, go to HP's website... if you have an Acer, go to Acer's site... you get the idea...

If you're not sure what you have for hardware or software on your computer, try Belarc:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Download and run - it's a free scan. There's no "hooks" attached - honest. We use this for work all the time and it's a great tool!

Since you are thinking about spending the money for either a monitor, card, or both you might just consider a new computer from Dell's outlet store - usually a returned item - in cars I think they call it scratched and dented. Holds the same warranty as a new computer - whatever was wrong has been fixed - shipping is free and the mark down is anywhere from 30-60 percent. I got a killer machine - about $7K worth for $2600 - you can also find standard home desktops often for as little as $400 - which is only about twice what you would pay for a new - decent - vid card. Then you have all new technology. You need to prowl around a bit but I have routinely purchased from there and have never been dissatisfied.

http://www.dell.com/outlet

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/t...0540s&s=dfh

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/t...ybrid&s=dfh

Edited by RumRunner

My wife downloaded driver updates from ATI. Unfortuanately, it still won't give me 1600X900 resolution. Maybe my motherboard won't sustain it?

Nah, nothing to do with motherboards, power, processor, or the like.. Only 2 things and things only. Video card/Monitor.. Monitor supports it..

Did you try the 3rd party ATI drivers, omega drivers??

T&O,

Chas is assuredly female. :)

Also, ATI video stuff appears to be Athlon property, so the drivers are on the same site.

Thanks for your suggestion!

George

My bad!!! Sorry bout that Chas! :unsure:

And you are right.. ATI got bought by AMD... But.... ATI doesn't support custom resolutions like NVidia.

My wife downloaded driver updates from ATI. Unfortuanately, it still won't give me 1600X900 resolution. Maybe my motherboard won't sustain it?

George

That's typically the problem with older computers. The video card probably won't support it, although you should still be able to find a resolution that you are ok with. I'd just play around and even try lower resolutions than the one you selected and see if anything looks ok.

Depending on how old your PC is, it's true that you may want to just look at a new one. I just bought a Dell from Sam's Club that came with a monitor for around $800. It's fast, has Vista 64-bit, has a bluray drive, a big hard drive, lots of memory, and a 22" widescreen monitor. The only bad things about it are related to Vista not working with some hardware, but otherwise it's great.

Well ATI is owned by AMD. Get the model number of your video card and go here.

http://ati.amd.com/products/index.html

I come across this all the time. I would search for drivers in this order

1-video card manufacturer

2-computer maker (Dell and Apple stay pretty current, I've had mixed results with other companies)

3- third parties as suggested in another post.

if the card is an old one and drivers aren't made anymore, then get a new one. Depending on what you do with your PC (surfing to Video games) will determine how much you have to spend. You can get a generic for about $50.

One other thing to check is to see if you have an onboard video card in addition to the ATI. Not likely but some makers have an onboard video card.

What is the model of the ATI card? How old is it?

The problem, in my opinion, does not lay in the monitor.

• 1 year later...