GreaseSpot Cafe

Our Lady of America?

jellybean

Wow, that's a new one on me, too, jellybean. (Welcome, by the way.)

Last I knew the place had been turned into a big resort complex for soccer players and their families.

Pretty strange stuff! I was never Catholic, so the whole worshiping Mary thing is something I don't quite get. I will refrain from making wisecracks about someone else's religion. All I can say is I spent 2 years at that place, and I never saw "Our Lady of America." I was probably too preoccupied with stringing chairs or washing dishes or something.

I guess Uncle Harry Hill has been renamed Holy Family Hill and the statues are back. What goes around comes around, eh?

...to support the preservation of the Holy Ground in Rome City, IN...

...the holy ground?

And welcome, Jellybean. Grab a pew ... the water here's not holy, but teh coffee's good.

Thanks for the Welcomes!

I don't claim that I know that I know, that I know anything, anymore... except how I want to be treated. So this could all be true, as far as I'm concerned, just had to stop and try to remember if I'd ever heard this stuff about "Our Lady" while I was in residence there.

Linda, I hear you on the chairs...I think, I was just too busy vacuuming that red wool carpet in the chapel and a hundred other tasks to have time for such. I did find time to sneak in the place when no one was around and dance on that rug...had to get my aerobic points, you know....oh wait, forgot I'm not suppose to say "you know".

As far as holy grounds, I really don't know, but I always thought they were beautiful and soggy in spots. This life can be really hard to get though....more so for some folks than others. If going there does more good than harm for some, it's their life. If someone is just taking advantage of others' good intentions....well, that's different.

I certainly never saw the stained glass portrait of "Our Lady of America" though it does seem some of the stained glass windows in the chapel had been replaced when we were briefly there in 1993. I would imagine had we been told of the apparitions there would have been no small stir, since TWI teaches that any apparitions or visions or whatever are devil spirit manifestations. I do recall that the stations of the Cross were portrayed in the little niches at the base of that hill and they had to be taken out because devil spirits were said to hang out around them.

Actually, a gentle vision of Jesus's mom sounds a lot less menacing to me than the hell we went through there at the hands of those calling themselves God's special people.

WG