GreaseSpot Cafe

Thematic Apperception Test

Not for kids -- some Adult content

Thematic Apperception Test

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thematic_Apperception_Test

I heard of a case where a small girl was screaming at the very site of this woman’s boyfriend. The child would cower under the kitchen table. The child would vomit and shake at the site of this “man.” But the mother/woman would leave her daughter in “his care” daily. She noticed bruises and other marks on her child and the behavior was worse and worse. But there was always an explanation – and she did not actually SEE her daughter get the bruises, even though it was after she was in HIS care. One day, the man finally snapped and the child is now blind, paralyzed and in a metal state of disconnect at the hands of this man. The child was young -- around four years old. She will never be the same. They want to prosecute the mother as well. She said she never saw any warning signs and her boyfriend is a “good” man who just snapped or was trying to instruct her daughter and things just went sour. They gave her a Thematic Apperception Test. There was a picture where a car is speeding toward a pedestrian and they asked her what was happening in this picture?

The normal responses were he is going to get hit. He needs to get out of the way!!! She responded “These are old friends and the driver is going to stop the car and they are going to talk catching up on old stuff.”

This woman suffers from the inability to process or perceive danger.

This intrigued me, as in years gone by, here at the GS we had woman (en) share some things like how VPW taught them to “have sex” with him would help them find love (or whatever the exact stuff was…) And one poster in VPW’s defense said he might be testing her to help her grow. (OR something to that effect.).

The responses from these few people here have baffled me. Totally irrational imo. But when this came up on warped perception – I began to apply it to some of what we have witnessed here. Could some be brain washed to the end that perception and deceived minds are void of judgment, as in this case? I wondered if a drunk guy with a naked penis were driving a motorcoach toward a young girl praying to God to know Jesus... If they would say, "She is praying for an old man to take her to new levels of understanding with his penis." Where most would say "RUN!!!!"

Some pics

http://www.macalester.edu/psychology/whath...stImage13MF.gif

What do you see in this picture?

Give the back story and what is happening here and what the future holds.

http://gamestudies.org/articleimages/12_gr...l_image002b.jpg

How about this one? Give the back story and what is happening here and what the future holds.

Or this one?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/233389..._507445430b.jpg

Or this one?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/116/2609804...a52267e.jpg?v=0

or this?

http://media.dothaneagle.com/dothaneagle/g...oads/rving1.jpg

I should have probably put this under "open" or "the Way"

Cause I do not have an exact verse in mind... Where one can be so blind to the obvious that they call good bad and bad --- good. It is not just in church settings, but in "life" as is the example at the top. The people who are unable, or became unable, to see BAD when bad is so very obvious to everyone else. Is this "the god of this world blinding people"??? I always thought of that as just in God stuff.. but this is in everyday life stuff. The blindness is so pervasive - I always thought it was framed in religious venues -- when the Bible speaks of void minds and blindness. I never thought about the people who just cannot see "truth" anywhere as being spiritually blind -- or the "cult" blindness being explained as biblical and scientific... Am I making sense? The devil just blinds people to all kinds of reality not just scriptures. I guess, that is what I mean to say and to ask.

Edited by Dot Matrix

Does a diagnosing and analizing another help you?

I think twi had more than its fair share of c0-dependents, as society itself does. Yet how does telling or knowing what one thoughst on how another thinks help anyone?

Noone can change another esp. a learned behaviour or "how one thinks". I think we should have diversity in our process of information and this in itself speaks to me of minstrys and the body working together.

Typicly theses "issues" will not bother anyone until a situation occurs in which a answer is demanded to satisfy the outrage .

It does not prove anything really . I also believe incorrect "judgement happens to every person granted some more than others and is often highlighted when a tragic effet occurs. It is very easy to hunt down somone to blame after a problem isnt it?

Jesus forgave he didnt analize so much did he?

I didn't see any actual attempt at diagnosis, analysis, or, properly called, an assessment, of a RL person in Dot's post - I did see her post a few observations about a RL person but those were not followed by analysis, diagnosis, or assessment - just followed by questions about how far mind/brain "washing" could actually go.

You want some fresh milk for those Wheaties Pond?

Excuse me I need to run now and go look for hippos in tutus and alligators wearing black and red capes dancing waltzes out in the garage. They sometimes show up when I least expect them to and then the voices coming through the fillings in my teeth get real real loud and I can't think anymore until I return from the Gernsback Continuum. But I do always think that the MMPI-2 (RF) is rather quite entertaining.

Oh...if you want to check the veracity of my post check with GrouchoMarxJr - he's seen the hippos and alligators too. Although I never got him to agree to a trip all the way to the Gernsback Continuum he DID get as far as sailing past Saturn.

Edited for a couple of typos...

Edited by RumRunner

Thanks Rumrunner. Mwah I was not passing judgment but asking people to think. Thanks for "getting" it. Not all will. It is okay.

And isn’t that kinda the point THAT PEOPLE GET TO A PLACE WHERE THEY LOOSE THEIR ABILITY TO JUDGE CORRECTLY. Their compass is askew. Rather than the question they find the minimal portion of God’s word – or flip things around to become unable to perceive danger or fear to acknowledge it.

So, in your opinion, when the car is heading for someone – we do not have the "right" to surmise the person, who refuses to move out of the way, may have "thinking" that is not functioning properly? Instead, you expect us to think, who are we to judge the pedestrian refusing to move? OR the driver who is speeding toward them? Judging and reasoning is a part of everyday life. And to deny it, refuse to use it or to “not” review it puts one at risk of loosing sound judgment. Or to hold onto a scripture about "judging" so that reasonable observations are ignored – would that not be part of loosing “sound judgment” or the ability to reason logically? God expects us to think. And in that thinking there should be some reasonable conclusions.

Rum – see I always took scripture and being blinded and unable to see as if it meant they were “blind to scripture” and kind of separated “scripture” away from “life” and all aspects of life. I think maybe the “god” of this world – blinds “them” period. They become blind in all kinds of areas – not just to scripture but to blatant truth in all arenas as the world is owned by Satan.

Do you think it applies to the “whole” rather than just directed at the people seeking the Bible? I think it does. And I think even SCIENCE shows there is something unreasonable with the mind who refuses to see danger. They, the god of this world, evil people and that ilk actually try to dull us in order to have “evil” happen in everyday life.

Edited by Dot Matrix

Dot - This is fascinating! This explains so much! I've often wondered how parents could visually see evidence of abuse to their children, yet remain with the abuser and not take their child and run far and fast.

As a christian believer, I read what you wrote and find comfort in the explanation. It gives me somewhere to store these horrific stories we hear about so often. I'll no longer wonder how in the hell a seemingly loving parent would keep their beloved child in an abusive situation.

I was floored to hear that someone would think that a picture showing a car speeding toward someone could look like a couple old friends about to hook up - and that the momma wouldn't "get" the imminent danger.

I don't see anything wrong with learning all we can, especially concerning how people think. For me, as a strong individual who, once upon a time found myself up to my neck in a mind-controlling cult, I'm glad to be able to consider ideas and studies people present, then decide for myself if it's useful information for me or not. Thanks for posting this, Dot. I'm real interested in where this discussion goes...

Oh, and Dot - I don't know if this is a bible verse or not, but I'm reminded that there are none so blind as those who will not see. I, for one, hope you continue to present these treasures you find for our consideration.

I believe it helps me a LOT to consider others and their actions, how they think, yes. I think in order to co-exist with others it's very helpful to understand how they think, why they do things they do, especially when they seem so unbelievable as a loving parent seeing evidence on their own children of abuse, yet continue keeping the child where the abuser can continue hurting the child.

I think twi had more than its fair share of c0-dependents, as society itself does. Yet how does telling or knowing what one thoughst on how another thinks help anyone?

For one example right off the top of my head, whenever I find a subject like this one that someone presents for discussion on a DISCUSSION FORUM, and see a response like this here, I use my thinking skills and my memory to recall that oftentimes I skip right over a few posters' responses, because I've seen a pattern of those posters continually derailing threads with nonsense. That saves me both time and aggravation. I choose to avoid reading posts by people I've seen repeatedly take away from what could be a great conversation. That's my perogative. I think I need to analyze and consider how others think so I can understand how someone could possibly say or do things that seem outrageous to me.

Noone can change another esp. a learned behaviour or "how one thinks". I think we should have diversity in our process of information and this in itself speaks to me of minstrys and the body working together.

We are both entitled to our opinions. I disagree with the above statement. I think if one seeks help with how they're thinking, one can find help from other people. I base this opinion on my work as a medical transcriber for psychiatric hospitals. I type reports all day long about people seeking help for how they think. I see how the doctors analyze the patient's thinking to determine what course of treatment to try. Then I also type the report of how each treatment worked with each patient. It's a fascinating field, how people think.

Typicly theses "issues" will not bother anyone until a situation occurs in which a answer is demanded to satisfy the outrage .

I couldn't disagree more with the above statement. I think you're saying "these issues" meaning how a mother can observe evidence of abuse to her child yet remain in the abusive situation and keep the child where the abuser can get at them or how that mother saw no danger in the picture of a car speeding toward a pedestrian. If these issues DON'T bother you, I know of a good hospital or two I could recommend...

It does not prove anything really . I also believe incorrect "judgement happens to every person granted some more than others and is often highlighted when a tragic effet occurs. It is very easy to hunt down somone to blame after a problem isnt it?

Wow. Do you really believe what you've written here? I appreciate the example of how you think. I'm not clear on what you mean by "It does not prove anything really." What is the "it" you're referring to here?

How does your statement "It is very easy to hunt down somone to blame after a problem isnt it?" even pertain to the subject here? This is a discussion about a test that shows how some people are thinking? After a problem? This test explains so much about how SOME people think. Hopefully, this test will help people to avoid abuse. If it prevents one child from being harmed, wouldn't you think it's worth it?

Jesus forgave he didnt analize so much did he?

I think Jesus analyzed what he needed to. I believe he was a very skilled thinker.

how we think varies , what we think varies this is exactly why we have judgement.

Judgement varies as much as any individual would .

a small child thinks it is ok to put his hand in a hot fire. Is he brain washed ? no he is ignorant of the danger .

Gods children are also Ignorant of satan ability to hurt us. Hence we need A father to protect and a Lord to instruct us.

I think the idea that human fraility as protrayed by science is anything new under the sun.

A person who knows danger and makes the choice to ignore their own safety is common. We all do it to some degree every single day.

it is a mistake.

if your talking about a developmental disability which is what is detailed in your links well then that is why we have safety checks for those UNABLE to function as "normal" adults.

my question to you Dot is why do you need to analize nonfunctioning people behaviours to understand your own self?

I would say many in twi were functioning and in fact those who would not meet the mustard dismissed.

the quality of life is a judgement isnt it? to each his own in life, If one wants an answer to why they have made the choices they made in Life SELF analysis is the topic for disclosure of truth .

bow

I said one is unable to change another learned behaviour or how one thinks... indeed the peron her/his self can change or learn.

co-dependents need victims to love. It is a learned behaviour. Bother as in stop life from moving forward Bow.

Pond:

my question to you Dot is why do you need to analize nonfunctioning people behaviours to understand your own self?

Your analysis has missed the mark as have your responses. To phrase the question like that presupposes that I agree with you. I do not. But I can start a general thread and you specifically judged me. Tssk Tssk Pond.

Seems to be an understanding problem on your end - not a judgment problem on mine.

how we think varies , what we think varies this is exactly why we have judgement.

Judgement varies as much as any individual would .

a small child thinks it is ok to put his hand in a hot fire. Is he brain washed ? no he is ignorant of the danger .

Gods children are also Ignorant of satan ability to hurt us. Hence we need A father to protect and a Lord to instruct us.

I think the idea that human frailty as protrayed by science is anything new under the sun.

A person who knows danger and makes the choice to ignore their own safety is common. We all do it to some degree every single day.

To equate a small child (developing and learning) placing their hand in fire to an adult who missed the NORMAL signals of HER child - is ludicrous. And even a small child would not continue to stick his/her hand in the FIRE he/she would LEARN. So, for you to make a jump to brainwashing behooves me, how do you make these connections to prove your point? Sorry, IMO, your point is weak, your argument anemic and your examples are feeble. Geez Pond, at least put some thought into your attempts to insult me and feature my inabilities. All you have done is showcase yours. I mean, "think". Make it worth my time to respond.

And God's children are not SO IGNORANT of Satan’s ability to hurt us. The scripture repeatedly sirens warnings that if heeded we are not harmed. Do you read the Bible?

I am not showing "human frailty" "as science just figuring it out or as new". But that science and the Bible are saying the same thing about minds void of judgment. (Thanks, for the fodder to prove my point, BTW)

A person may ignore their “own” safety, but they usually UNDERSTAND the warning and choose not to heed it. For a mother to ignore signals in their child is outrageous. It is counter intuitive. Or a perhaps an illness.

Which is in part the point of the thread.

edited for a typo

Edited by Dot Matrix

Excuse me I need to run now and go look for hippos in tutus and alligators wearing black and red capes dancing waltzes out in the garage. They sometimes show up when I least expect them to and then the voices coming through the fillings in my teeth get real real loud and I can't think anymore until I return from the Gernsback Continuum. But I do always think that the MMPI-2 (RF) is rather quite entertaining.

Oh...if you want to check the veracity of my post check with GrouchoMarxJr - he's seen the hippos and alligators too. Although I never got him to agree to a trip all the way to the Gernsback Continuum he DID get as far as sailing past Saturn.

...go ask Alice. :spy:

Pond: Typicly theses "issues" will not bother anyone until a situation occurs in which a answer is demanded to satisfy the outrage
Bow: I couldn't disagree more with the above statement. I think you're saying "these issues" meaning how a mother can observe evidence of abuse to her child yet remain in the abusive situation and keep the child where the abuser can get at them or how that mother saw no danger in the picture of a car speeding toward a pedestrian. If these issues DON'T bother you, I know of a good hospital or two I could recommend...

Bow!!! :biglaugh:

LOL Bow reminds me of a cartoon. Anyone remember that 60's cartoon where the dog (I think his name was Snidely but I might be mistaking that up with the RCMP cartoon) would take a big chomp out of the post man's butt with those big white shark teeth and laugh that "Finn" laugh(witness William Gibson - Neuromancer or Mona Lisa Overdrive) and keep those teeth clamped down while the postman fled and screamed? Keep them teeth a chompin' Bow...