GreaseSpot Cafe

Hey, Way Corps!

shortfuse

Talking to the "innie" Way Corps, as I at times do...

You've got about a month until those assignment letters come out and you are asked to commit anew and accept in writing your annual Way Corps assignment. I believe a lot of you read these forums, that's why I'm addressing you here. The fact that you are reading these forums suggests that you have your doubts and concerns about your role in The Way International. That doubt you have been taught to fear and distrust is actually your conscience - the voice of reason. There is still time to act, time to refuse that assignment you are about to receive.

Listen. I understand where you are coming from, as do several generations of Corps grads you can find on this site. You feel a strong compulsion to reform the ministry. The ministry is flawed because it's made of people. Where others have tired and given up, you will persist and succeed. That's admirable. Completely unrealistic, but admirable.

There is an unpleasant truth awaiting you who have taken up the mantle of the Reformer. The Way International is not going to change.

That bears repeating.

The Way International is NOT GOING TO CHANGE.

Think I'm being pessimistic? Stop for a minute and look around you. How much real change have you seen in the last 9 years or so since LCM was removed? How much has Rev. Rivenbark changed The Way? Very little, if you are honest with yourself. It's gotten more boring to attend classes, fellowships and special events. That's a change, but hardly a good one. The Debt Policy (the one that's "not a policy") we thought would surely go away after LCM left, is still in effect. It's more subtle now, but the culture is still very controlling. Still a lot of pressure for you to produce, "moving the Word", by running classes you aren't honestly excited about. It's not getting better. I'm sorry, but it's not, and deep down you know it.

Still don't believe me? What do you want to change in The Way? Talk to Rosalie about it. Chances are she has heard it all before, but she will give you the impression of listening and caring. Then ask when it is going to change. I promise you, if you press the question you will get the answer. The change is not coming. Period.

There are some of you who are even willing to wait things out. By that I mean to wait until all the impediments to change (read "board of directors") are out the way. You tell yourself they can't live forever, and you are right. But there's an even more important truth you must face. You can't live forever either. The truth is, life is short. Chances are you've already given years of your life to the cause. You can't get those back, but you can do something about what you have left.

Don't let another year slip by. Seize the opportunity to reclaim your freedom. Seize the opportunity to live your life in the pursuit of what brings you joy. God is on your side. I can't promise you it will be easy. But it will be worth it.

Do *they* still give fifty and sixty somne year old *corps* assignments?

You'd think at sixty some years old, they'd have already done their duty, or something like that..

besides, you'd think they've figured out what their "assignment" in life is, by now..

just a thought..

Oh hell, let them go ahead and reup. They are big boys and girls, the economy is in the toilet and where else will they have such great medical insurance? And besides, we wouldn't want any of them to turn into grease spots by midnight. Nope, couldn't have that on our conscience.