GreaseSpot Cafe

Carmax

Mister P-Mosh

This is just a general warning for anyone looking to sell an older car.

Previously, I had good luck with Carmax, but I think in these bad economic times, you have to be extra careful. I was planning on selling my wife's older car to them, and hoping for something close to the KBB value. I knew it wouldn't be near the top, but assumed a certain amount plus or minus a few hundred.

Their offer was over $1,000 less than the minimum that I would have accepted. So we left without selling the car. Tonight, I got home and decided to do a search on Autotrader, and lo and behold, Carmax is there with a similar car, only about 3k miles less, and a different paint job. They are selling it for about $8,000 more than they offered us for my wife's car.

So, I don't know if this is typically a problem now or not, but be careful. Their reputation of giving a fair value for your car should no longer be expected to be true. I guess I'm going to have to go through the hassle of selling it myself, but it's worth it if I get a thousand or two extra dollars out of it. I'd probably even be better off trading it in at a real dealership when I go to buy the new car instead if I can't sell it quickly.

Obviously, Carmax should be expected to make a profit for re-selling a used auto. There is, of course, the demurrage (overhead) involved in keeping your car on their lot until it sells. Is $8000 a reasonable difference? It seems high, but I don't know. It's like comic books. I can expect to PAY Overstreet prices when I BUY books, but (except for my really high-value stuff, which will appreciate enough to be worth the buyer paying full price), I can't expect to GET those prices when I SELL to a dealer.

George

Something else occurred to me. I know that there's another business like Carmax that promises you at least $200 more than Carmax for your old car. I know they're at least in the Houston area, if not nationwide. I heard their ad on the radio. (Conservative talk channel, though, so maybe that's why Mr. P-Mosh is unaware of them.) ;)

George

Something else occurred to me. I know that there's another business like Carmax that promises you at least $200 more than Carmax for your old car. I know they're at least in the Houston area, if not nationwide. I heard their ad on the radio. (Conservative talk channel, though, so maybe that's why Mr. P-Mosh is unaware of them.) ;)

George

If you catch their name again let me know. I'm thinking that I can probably get more by going to a different Carmax (apparently their appraisal process is very subjective) but if there is another place that is worth a try too.

P-Mosh,

I don't know if you are interested in selling it another way. . . . but, we sold a car on Craig's List. . . not much hassle and it went quickly. We got the price we wanted.

Another thing, although this is a bit off topic . . . . . but, buying a car on Craigs List is pretty easy too. Last year I bought our son a Nissan in May. Excellent car. . . the girl basically gave it away.

Students leaving university sometimes have to get rid of things like furniture and cars. . . . we picked up an older, but mint, Nissan for 500 dollars. Sunroof, nice stereo, clean, and it runs beautifully.

It is so cute I drive it alot. . . great on gas. . . she had to sell it that day. I was the first to look at it. . . could not believe what I saw and grabbed it. My son was thrilled.

Good Luck!!

I love Craig's List. I have had great luck.

Oh, and they caught the Craig's List killer. . . !!!

If you catch their name again let me know. I'm thinking that I can probably get more by going to a different Carmax (apparently their appraisal process is very subjective) but if there is another place that is worth a try too.

I just googled "$200 more than Carmax" and got a hit: AutoTrader.com

George

A friend went to Carmax and started to buy a pickup. Went buy a dealership and bought the same truck for $800 more brand new(the used had 40,000 miles).

I am a big fan of ebay motors. In April I bought a 2007 crew cab GMC for $9000.00. The kbb trade in value was $12,000.

Had a friend sale and buy on craigslist.

Used car dealerships make the most money on people who need financing. The cost goes up 5k and the interest is through the roof.