GreaseSpot Cafe

Movies I like

frank123lol

Somewhere in Time,1979 vintage,Jane Semour,Christopher Reeves,Christopher Plummer.

Set in Michigan,Mackinaw Island,By the Mackinaw bridge,A 5 mile long suspension bridge

connecting Michigans two penisulas to gether.

Premise of the movie an old lady comes up to a young man and gives him a letter

It shows apicture of a beautiful woman circa 1890s.Somehow he goes back in time

a romance blooms.

I think James cameron patterned Jack and Rose from the two characters for titanic

Whatever,The movie was at first liked by me cause of michigan,but as time has

moved on,I like it more and more.

Big deal up in Mackinaw city mi.

A classic cult following.

Thanks for your time,I enjoyed posting this. :)

As with most time-travel stories this one's plot-line is full of holes BUT I've always loved it anyway!!

I always get upset when he finds the coin in his pocket.

((sigh))

Another good one in this vein is "Forver Young" with Mel Gibson... Wonderful cast and great acting by a young Elijiah Wood.

Frank,

I love that you love that movie. It might be considered a chick flick, but you found guy reasons to like it! :) Too funny. I went over that bridge. . . I think. . . it was coming down from the upper. . . into the lower, so that must be it. A loooong suspension bridge.

I love Christopher Guest movies. This is Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind and For Your Consideration. All have about the same cast. . . are basically ad-lib and are sooo funny. Around our house we often quote lines from these movies. . . my son is the best at it.

The Castle is a great Aussie movie, and Hawks is my all time favorite English tear-jerker.

What About Bob is another one that is funny. We quote that alot too. Anything with Bill Murray.

Frank, here's a sweet bit of trivia about your movie, from IMDb:

"While Christopher Reeve was filming this movie, the local theater decided to show his latest hit Superman (1978). Many of the "Somewhere" cast joined the locals for the event. Early into the screening, the sound went out. Reeve, who was seated next to Jane Seymour, stood up in the audience and delivered all the lines."

Can you imagine being in the audience when that happened?

If you liked Somewhere in Time, check out the book Time and Again by Jack Finney, written in 1970. The movie isn't based on that book...well, not exactly. The person who wrote the book the movie was based on (in 1975) "borrowed" liberally from Finney's book, and in fact called his character "Prof. Finney."

Finney's book also involved an old coin, a hotel room, and a love that spanned time. In Finney's book, the time-travelling main character is an artist in an ad agency and the setting is New York City. It's an illustrated novel; the illustrations are supposed to be done by the main character.

Time and Again is one of my all-time favorite novels and is my all-time favorite time-travel story. I always thought Somewhere in Time was based on it, until today when I looked it up. So thanks to you, Frank, I learned something. :) Well, two things. I also learned that Jack Finney wrote The Body Snatchers, basis for the classic horror movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Was at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island last summer. Great time. Picked up the movie while I was there. Decent flick.