GreaseSpot Cafe

Sport vs. Game

Zshot

A sport vs. a game

What makes a game a sport?

I think that most people can agree that there are many games that are sports due to physical nature of the competition. Such as: Basketball, football, hockey, tennis, racquetball, soccer, running, etc…

Why are the following sports?

Fishing, darts, billiards, golf, bowling, archery, shooting, etc…

Yes, these require skill. If these are sports, is it because of arm/hand movement? (if so, then so should the activity of what aroused boys/men… icon_eek.gif)

IMO, a sport requires some degree of athletic ability.

Granted there is a degree of risk in some of the games listed. (I have seen a guy with a dart in one hand and a beer in the other). I also think that half the people on the golf course could get a DWI while they drive those golf carts.

What do you think?

Zman??????

I've always been told that certain arm/hand movement DID require a skill, icon_wink.gif;)-->

I've spent my life trying so hard to master it... icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I've been told before,,,,,

"be a sport, won't you?" icon_razz.gif:P-->

athletic ability??? you bet your bippy it requires athletic ability!!!

I'd never THINK of moving in some of THOSE positions if it wasn't "good for me, therefore sport-like".

and....

"its GOOD exercize", and

"lets get some aerobic points...."

these wern't just LINES were they???? icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

it COULDN'T be JUST a game could it????

how bout a poll????

always thought certain things WERE a sport,

hmfff, maybe I should look it up in my Funk & Wagnals.

maybe an ask jeeves or something

PLEASE let me know what you find out,

I am concerned I have been lied to all these years!

This is a carry over from a discussion from a racquetball forum that I frequent...

What started the topic is that "darts" are treated as a sport on espn2 and racquetball dosen't get (IMNSHO) as much coverage as it should...

Oh, it gets worse, Z....

The tournament Scrabble players consider what they do a "sport." (I don't.) One national champion even tried to argue that there was physical exertion in playing, what with adrenaline rushing and armpits sweating and all. Oy!

Of course, in Russia they loudly proclaim that chess is a "sport."

I would consider both of these contests, but not sports. I would define "sport" as having physical dexterity, not necessarily physical fitness. So then darts would be a sport, NASCAR racing would be a sport, etc.

For example, in the sport of gymnastics, the winner is not necessarily the most physically strong or aerobically fit, but the most physically adept on that day. Most gymnasts who want to be on top of the podium know that they need to be in good condition, and they work long hours at it, but plenty of times the winner has not been the strongest, but the one who just put it all together that day.

Regards,

Shaz

I don’t think that physical dexterity should be the determining factor on deciding if something is a sport or not.

Granted, physical dexterity is an important part of any sport. Other elements should include physical exertion (aerobic and/or an-aerobic) and skill.

Is NASCAR a sport? Is driving a sport? Isn’t the driver mostly in the “seated” position? When you look at a truck at a truck stop do you think, “That’s an athlete”? Darts, billiards, throwing cards into a hat, tossing a wad of paper in a trashcan require physical dexterity and skill. None of these should be considered a sport (IMO).

Ah, but Bubba sitting in a truck stop is not competing for anything. For it to be a sport, competition should be involved. And I never said that only athletes compete in sports -- in my definition of sport, that is.

Is curling a sport? The Olympic Committee says it is.

Your serve,

Shaz

Shaz,

If your point is that many events are concidered sports that shouldn't be...

I agree...

When an event is power assisted (has a motor), the driver is just along for the ride. Granted the driver must have good skill and reflexes etc... They call some events "Motor Sports" as if to say this isn't a "real" sport.

Horse raceing could be called a team sport where the athlete does the raceing and carrying the weight of the "partner" who is along for the ride...