GreaseSpot Cafe

Church - What is Your Definition

chockfull

Someone mentioned reading Augustine's 'City of God.' In defining the church, I always think of Auggie's distinction between the visible and invisible church. Here it is from Wikipedia...

"Augustine... taught a distinction between the "church visible" and "church invisible". The former is the institutional body on earth... while the latter is the invisible body of... genuine believers from all ages, and who are known only to God. The visible church will be made up of "wheat" and "tares", that is, good and wicked people (as per Mat. 13:30), until the end of time...

Augustine's ecclesiology was more fully developed in City of God. There he conceives of the church as a heavenly city or kingdom, ruled by love, which will ultimately triumph over all earthly empires which are self-indulgent and ruled by pride"

IMHO,

The amount of 'wheat' in the invisible church will amaze even the most progressive Christian.

The amount of 'wheat' in the visible church would dismay all but the most hardened misanthrope.

(Please excuse my formatting... this is my first post in many years. Long time participants might remember me as "Plotinus" or "Juan Cruz").

Someone mentioned reading Augustine's 'City of God.' In defining the church, I always think of Auggie's distinction between the visible and invisible church. Here it is from Wikipedia...

IMHO,

The amount of 'wheat' in the invisible church will amaze even the most progressive Christian.

The amount of 'wheat' in the visible church would dismay all but the most hardened misanthrope.

(Please excuse my formatting... this is my first post in many years. Long time participants might remember me as "Plotinus" or "Juan Cruz").

Nice - thanks for the quotes and perspective.