GreaseSpot Cafe

cancer-what do we know?

Norm,

There is a pretty big difference between "giving up the ghost" as Jesus did on the cross, and giving up on life because of inability ur unwillingness to stop self-destrictive behavior like chain smoking or excessive drinking.

If you do not want attention as you say, then why are you posting these things that seem like somewhat disconnected appeals for attention of some kind?

You sound rather fatalistic in your posts on this thread. I hope you are getting the help that you need.

Goey

[This message was edited by Goey on December 03, 2002 at 7:29.]

Kay, I listened to this song today and thought of you and Tim.

Wish there was a way you could here it from here. Maybe Sudo or Krys could paste the song.

Anyway, here are the lyrics................

thanks for being you

firebee

AFRICA

Toto

I hear the drums echoing tonight

But she hears only whispers of some quiet conversation

She's coming in 12:30 flight

The moonlit wings reflect the stars that guide me towards salvation

I stopped an old man along the way,

Hoping to find some old forgotten words or ancient melodies.

He turned to me as if to say,

'Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you.'

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you

There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do

I bless the rains down in Africa

Gonna take some time to do the things we never had

The wild dogs cry out in the night

As they grow restless longing for some solitary company

I know that I must do what's right

As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serangetti

I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become

------ instrumental break ------

Hurry boy, she's waiting there for you

I bless the rains down in Africa, I passed some rains down in Africa

I bless the rains down in Africa, I passed some rains down in Africa

Just got your email, and I am downloading the song from Kazaa. (Ever been there? I love it!)

We have had some rough times of late. Tim feels really terrible, (cumulative from the chemo I think) and so music of all kinds has been being played here!

He's doing better now that we talked. He's such a wonderful fellow that even when he's a crab he's still the best husband I have ever had!

Thanks Firebee!

Love,

Kay

Kay1952

MH I appreciate your heart and concern in starting this thread.

It seems there can be lots of reasons one would *get* cancer. I've heard that life stresses can debilitate a persons immune system to the point where the bodies natural defenses cannot destroy the cancer cells effectively.

I've heard that certain food types and bad habits also encourage the growth of mutant cells.

I;ve heard that some genetic lines have it bred into their genes.

I've heard that certain nutritional imbalances can speed up the growth of tumors.

There may be alot of *causes* for cancer and just as many methods of treatment. The bottom line is to consult as many knowledgable persons as possible and find solutions that compliment each other.

A solid nutritional program coupled with traditional therapy can help the body rebuild its defenses while counselling and perhaps antidepressants would help with the mental effects of the disease and perhaps unlock some deeply hidden emotional problems or stressors that may of triggered the outbreak. Deep breathing certainly would help by adding more oxygen to the sytem as does a mild exercise regime.

Most of all though it is important to realise that cancer is not a death sentance, that we are in control of our bodies and lives and can take a proactive stance when it comes to dealing with any of lifes more inopportune events.

Okay, since I work at a cancer hospital....

Cancer is not one disease, it is many, at least 600 we know of so far. Some are easier to cure, some are 100% terminal. The human body is so intricately formed, no one discipline can know all about it. There are many many alternative as well as conventional therapies. Try more than one. The one I would like to personally promote at this point: PREVENTION.

If you don't smoke cigarettes or pipes or cigars and you don't use smokeless tobacco - DON'T START!

If you do any of the above - STOP. Those of us who love you would like to have you around for a while.

Smoking has been linked to more than just lung cancer. A very wonderful physician I knew back in The Old South died of kidney cancer. He used to read chest x-rays while puffing on a cig. Made me sick (him, too, ultimately!)

My son smokes. I have made him a standing offer to save him a bed in our hospital.

Oh, and one more thing while I'm on my soapbox - to say that all cancers are caused by devil spirit possession is evil, cruel, ignorant, stupid and a lie. I can't believe TWI ever taught that! (worse yet that I believed it for a while).

WG

Thanks Wonton Soup and Watered Garden for your contributions.

I began this thread in an effort to share ideas and "what we know". Like Kay 1952, this father is willing to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to help his daughter survive. The surgeons cut out as much as they could get (75%) and will follow up with chemo and radiation. I have spent the last few weeks reading internet info and reading in book stores everything I could get my hands on. This one internet story was a gentleman whose wife had Type III Brain Cancer. He found a practicioner who believed that cancer is parasitic in nature and could be treated accordingly. I brought this info to the father and told him that I personally could not champion this because I would need more info and do more research before I would be convinced of the validity. But the father said he would do just about anything and would try it. Patrick Quillen, MD has written on Cancer and Nutrition for years and alot of his writing makes sense.

Any more ideas out there???

I just wanted to add that many chemotherapeutic agents are derived from plants, for example vincristine from Madagascar periwinkle and Taxol (originally) from some kind of evergreen that grows on the Left Coast. It is now synthesized because tree-loving individuals raised all kinds of fuss because their friends might be harvested to produce something that could save women from ovarian cancer (nasty way to die).

On another note, gamma knife, x-knife and other stereotactic radiosurgery options, used in the brain, can often be used to treat the tumor bed. There are lots of them around, Herbal. Might be worth checking into.

God knew we would screw up our bodies and has made lots of modalities available. All healing is from Him.

WG

I will admit to this Masterherbalist--

Because of this thread I will be more open to other kinds of therapy.

CHOP Therapy has vincristine in it-Thanks for that Watered Garden.

Tim has had some really rough days lately. I think all of the chemicals in his body are building up. He's having trouble sleeping, and is feeling quite low. He is making the effort to eat, drink, and do what he can.

Any suggestions Masterherbalist?

My email is gert68@hotmail.com

Thanks--you've made a difference!

Kay

Kay1952

Watered Garden-

Thanks for the information on the "herbal" connection that still exists in the drug business.

I would like to comment on the need for some of these elements being synthesized because of the "tree lovers". So I will. Comment, I mean.

First, let me say what they make in the lab does not equal the greatness of what the great Scientist already made in the tree.

Second, if those who wanted to use the trees would learn how to wildcraft, they could use the trees as much as needed. The problem is that the trees and land are raped and nothing left behind. The Native Americans knew how to take only what they could use, and gave back to Mother Earth for her gift. Wildcrafters understand this concept. However, most money-driven businesses don't think anything about tomorrow. They destroy trees when it is unnecssary to do so. They don't replant trees. Etc.

MH - I know, I know it's available to harvest responsibly - but I think both sides get carried away and it doesn't happen. One side says, "Ah, help for cancer-stricken women! Let us make money off their doom!" The other side says, "No! No! Not one needle shall fall from my friend the tree to save a worthless human life!"

The balance is somewhere in the middle. Like you said.

However, that said, I would save the patient before the tree if it came to that.

Love ya and thanks for your insight!

WG

I work for a very large Pharmaceutical company in the Medical communications dept. Last year Tubocurarine was DCD. The company I work for was not able to get into the jungle to extract the roots because of the Drug Lording in the Rainforest. Our people would of been killed. This is a company located in 80 countries. The drug Tubocurarine is used as a last attempt to keep the Heart and lungs pacing.I cannot tell you how many calls I had from Dr.s from all over this USA and Directors of Hospital Pharmacys I had to talk to who were outraged. I could not tell them why!! Of course, the Medical Affairs had to come up with a letter for corespondence..Lets talk trees..

It is amazing how the Hoxsey Formula and Essiac Tea and the Native Americans' tonics are all basically the same. All contain herbs that are historically blood cleansers and astringent.

But without changing the diet and changing the lifestyle, the results of the "formulas" are not seeing their full potential.

Dr. Christopher's teachings are of a wholesome program.

As for trees in the rainforest, it is unfortunate that the drug lords are running things. They are only interested in making money and using the money to obtain political power. But the great thing that the Creator has done is to place plants in each area of the world to use for their purposes. So what is available in the rainforest is actually for those people. We have in our country, plenty of herbs to use. There are THOUSANDS of herbs on the face of the earth and herbalist knowledge is limited to a few hundred.