GreaseSpot Cafe

Corps Housing?

OperaBuff

Actually, that might have been better than where I lived the first half of my interim year on staff. I shared a tiny former office in the Ermal Owens Building (EOB). We had no closet. It was nasty at first because of a dirty air conditioner. I cleaned the entire room with some oil soap to get a good aroma in there, then they finally brought a metal pole balanced on two other metal poles (like a swing set, but smaller) on which we could hang our clothes. About January or February, I was moved into Trailer Unit 18 in a small room with three bunk beds - it was already very crowded and they did not appreciate having another roommate. All this for free labor, "three hots and a cot" as Michael Fort used to call it ... and $100 a month "salary." One advantage was that we DID get $100 per month off our Corps tuition for the final year, as all former Staff people did at that time. Still, the housing was atrocious.

Edited by DogLover

A blown up version of Operabuff's post:

Someone said this was the Corps leadership trailer park at HQ during the 1980s. Is that true? I especially like the water feature

redneck-mansion.jpg

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

I'll admit the picture is pretty funny...but no, this is not the housing for Corps leadership in the 80's. I can't remember where I've seen that picture before. If by Corp leadership you mean the people that ran the Corp like JAL etc., I think they stayed in the Corps Chalet if I'm not mistaken.

I'll admit the picture is pretty funny...but no, this is not the housing for Corps leadership in the 80's. I can't remember where I've seen that picture before. If by Corp leadership you mean the people that ran the Corp like JAL etc., I think they stayed in the Corps Chalet if I'm not mistaken.

When JAL was the Corps Coordinator at Emporia, he and his wife and daughter lived in an apartment in the basement of the Campus Center -- presumably a nice apartment, but still an apartment. Perhaps they got to stay in one of the Corps Chalet's rooms out back of it -- they are like a hotel room in a moderately priced hotel. I have seen all of them because I helped clean them on several occasions.

Haha, I found this picture in a newspaper a few years back. It's a photo of the stage of an outdoor theater somewhere, the trailers are just props for an outdoor play. It still makes me laugh though, wish I could have seen the play. I forget where it was.

Haha, I found this picture in a newspaper a few years back. It's a photo of the stage of an outdoor theater somewhere, the trailers are just props for an outdoor play. It still makes me laugh though, wish I could have seen the play. I forget where it was.

The picture was called "Redneck Mansion." Google it in the pictures section and you'll get a slew of them.

SoCrates