GreaseSpot Cafe

Beating the Feet

Twinky

Okay, guys, it's that time of year again and I am again running a Half Marathon to raise funds for a Christian charity in my city.

I need motivating and it'd be lovely if some of you would please sponsor me in this effort.

Unlikely to be a PB this time as my knee hurts a bit and because of that, my training has been less than might be desired. Going to finish, though, within the required 3 hour period. I expect about 2h30m or maybe a bit less.

I hated running when in rez (well to be honest, at 6AM I wasn't very keen on much at all) but enjoy it reasonably well now that I'm not made to do it. And if it is a nice spring morning, it should be lovely.

There are usually about 15,000 runners, some in fancy dress. The race is always won by beautiful Kenyan males who run so gracefully and effortlessly. They take just over an hour. Embarrassing really when I take more than twice that, and every step is a challenge.

Please sponsor me if you can - and even if you can't have a look at my Giving page and leave me a message - I think that's possible.

Thanks, Twinx

Giving page

Ah, come on you miserable lot, won't any of you even send a cheery wave :wave:and wish me well :eusa_clap:?

Alternatively, send me the name of a good psychiatrist so that I won't feel tempted to do this again?

Twinky:

Here's a wave and some well wishes for you. :wave:

Running up to 3 hours, I can't even imagine - my knees, my hips, my aching back - so good on you for even attempting a Half Marathon, much less actually finishing one.

You Go, Girl.

Please come back and let us know how it went.

And, come on people, show Twinky some love! :love3:

Thanks bfh and Waysider but more like this:

2011 Half Marathon

Some video footage at the bottom (if the link works) and I came in when the clock shows 2:28:32, hands waving in the air, glad it was all over.

2:28 wasn't my time for the race, just the time when I filtered through the finish line. I think my actual time was about 2:11 or 2:14, all timed by electronic chip tied to the shoelaces, activated on crossing the line at Start, 10km and Finish..

You might be able to pick out the white tabard, green writing, for the Genesis Trust that I raise sponsorship for each year.

I went to the site and saw the pics and the vid, watched you cross the finish line - WOO HOO!

And I was able to pick out the white tabard - especially prominent in the pics.

I'm assuming the buildings in the background are in Bath - since it's the BathHalf.

I'm always fascinated with the older architecture in the UK, the stuff in the states is so much newer,

and we tear down so much of the older, and what I consider beautiful buildings,

it's refreshing to see buildings that have been around for centuries.

How's your training going?

Edited due to poor typing skills.

Edited by bfh

Too late to train now, event is tomorrow!!!

Yes, the buildings are in Bath. The start/finish is in Great Pulteney Street with beautiful stately buildings in rows and usually on 5-6 levels. These buildings were built late 1700s from the local Bath stone which was highly valued and used for exquisite buildings nationally. The best stone is light greyish but has a golden or honey color to it.

Much of the city center of Bath was built/rebuilt at that time and there are some very fine crescents - long gracefully curved rows of terraced houses on 5-6 levels and worth $millions.

I'll let you know how I get on! I'm guessing 2:15 best and very unlikely, 2:35 worst (worst ever) - depends on how my right knee feels about life tomorrow.

Weather forecast is good. Dry, sunny, pleasant temp without being too hot or too cold. Light breeze. Just exactly what I prayed for.

Praying for your strength and stamina and that your road is smooth. I remember some guy who had one foot named "Glory" and the other "Hallelujah," and when I think of it I do the same to keep going when the road is tough. Praying for you from Reno Nevada.

What a cool idea, Kit!

I ran around occasionally feeling thankful for the luxury of being able to run for pleasure - not to have to run to avoid a sniper's bullet, a mortar, or to get to the front of a food queue.

Sometimes I think of the Author and Finisher of faith running alongside or just in front of me, as a pacemaker.

I achieved a time of 2:24:06 which I'm well pleased with, for saying I didn't do much training and my knee was feeling a bit gippy for the couple of weeks beforehand. Pleased to say that my knee didn't hurt excessively (I did treat it gently) - in fact nowhere hurts.

It was the most beautiful day - bright, sunny, warm without being too hot, gentle breeze. Big crowd to cheer runners on. I loped along at a comfortable pace feeling really good and it was a real pleasure to be alive.

Thanks for getting back to us. I thought about you yesterday evening and early this morning,

although the race was probably finished by that time, due to the time difference.

I'm glad to hear that you have no knee pain, what a nice turn of events.

So to you a big

well-done-congratulations-card-679-p%5Bekm%5D500x500%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Let me know if you still want that shrink. :biglaugh::wave:

Thantks, bfh!

Such a lovely run yesterday ... no, maybe I don't want that shrink after all.

Heh, I wondered if I should have posted this in the Sports section, not Open.

Okay, folks, have a chortle. Or offer constructive criticism. Or something.

Photos and videos

Photos were available Monday (wow, that's fast!). Videos arrived this evening. So here y'are, hot off the ... internet.

Well, waysider, you certainly got me dancing around my living room with that song!