GreaseSpot Cafe

What if there was no internet..

Ham

No downloadable books. No social interactive sites. No.. computers? No, you can have a computer..

no secure online banking.. no chat..

the theme is a *tad* more than "what if there were no about the way forums".

No more working cash registers at wally mart (or practically anywhere else for that matter..)..

ah.. music. What if you had to wait for the latest and greatest to show up in a "pricey" format at the corner store..

people actually lived like this, once..

:biglaugh:

It was long, long ago..

What if it took over three days for a message that you originated to arrive at your friend's house..

if you had a ham radio license, you and your licensed friend had instant communications at your disposal..

that was the exception in the day, not the rule.

Well, maybe not the exception entirely. One could subscribe to Ma Bell's overpriced services.

I think the average person would be flabbergasted to discover how inextricably their life is linked to the internet. My mother-in-law, for example, has never used a computer...ever. But, she doesn't fully realize the role that cyber activity plays in her health care and finances. We're at a point of no return....Well, at least without catastrophic repercussions.

Touch tones were a carefully guarded corporate secret. Except they went public, and then pulled in the welcome mat when they figured out that everybody were not electronically clueless.

Edited by Ham

The "problem" here. There are a lot of us over the hill whatevers.. who could live in either world, parting from existence. Some sooner than later. That leaves a population dependent on technology.. don't know how it works, and probably can't live without it. It just seems.. those who can rule, will still be able to manually do all of the calculations with paper and pencil. What if.. the price suddenly went up. Maybe this is like dependance on petroleum. The average worker will grudgingly pay the price, and continue to buy..

what if.. the powers that be manipulate bandwidth as some kind of punishment or reward..

bandwidth is definitely a marketable commodity.

I don't know. Even if you don't directly depend on it, the things you do depend on depend on it..Huh?..You go to get your meds at the pharmacy. The Rx has already arrived electronically....millions of such examples..

Pacemakers, defibrillators...not possible without the same technology that drives the internet.

Edited by waysider

From what it looks like to me.. they've already tried to sell futures in internet or technology based venues, and some lost a lot of money. But this was really the first time around with all of this. what if, suddenly, facebook charged fifty bucks a month. As long as you didn't post to much..

how many would (greatly) grumble, and simply pay for the conveniences?

all of your "friends" are internet savy (read paranoid). You can safely share all of your most intimate secrets basically without the risk of a real human encounter..

it's like the Perfect Relationship.

Fifty Bucks a month. Yeah, people will pay.

what if. I know, it is really, really weird. Like out of some B sci-fi movie.

What if your next paycheck was delivered to you in terms of digital bandwidth..

with it you have the choice to purchase (not so cheap now) genetically engineered food..

it was cheaper once, because they didn't have to apply insecticides.

what if. I know, it is really, really weird. Like out of some B sci-fi movie.

What if your next paycheck was delivered to you in terms of digital bandwidth..

with it you have the choice to purchase (not so cheap now) genetically engineered food..

it was cheaper once, because they didn't have to apply insecticides.

Paid with bandwidth? No, thanks. The corner beer drive-thru doesn't accept bandwidth as legal tender.

GMO's....Too big a subject for this thread.

Heh.. that is only when one is forced to land in planets in the outer rim. No Republican credits accepted here.. not even with persuasion intended towards weak minds using the force.. :biglaugh:

GMO's may be too big. But I'm still aware of them..

"They" are still alive. So they have role to play, don't they? :biglaugh:

Those who choose to sell futures will try to figure out how to sell anything.. I thought it was only in the relm of mathematics that one could sell something so Abstract.

GMO's may be too big. But I'm still aware of them..

"They" are still alive. So they have role to play, don't they? :biglaugh:/>/>

Lots of misinformation and misunderstanding out there on both sides of the argument. It reminds me of some of the kernels of nutritional wisdom that used to float around The Way like they had been handed down on stone tablets...."Well, you know, Gr@ce Bl!ZZ says........"

Edited by waysider

I would agree. I still have not read any kind of scientific article, on either side. But. I'm thinking.. we are pretty damned arrogant. Produce food, that is toxic to parasites during its growth cycle.. and considering.. with the application of bug killers, antibiotics, and such.. we've raised another generation of super bugs of sorts..

we are genetically engineering our Enemy. However indirectly. all along abandoning our Allies.. we have a few, by ancient agreement..

• 1 month later...

You know. One day there will be no internet. Its guaranteed. In fact, unless *we* have moved along in inhospitable space, there will be nothing here. Nothing left.. of us. Once the sun starts primarily burning helium, there will be no third planet left.

Might take a few years..

no more Grand Religious Traditions again.. no physical reality in which to practice them..

then what will we do.. maybe the same thing we did last time. Argue, negotiate.. litigate among ourselves.. hate each other, love each other.. the only other possibility is to be absorbed into a singularity..

one decision offers a peaceful end. The other offers endless possibilities.