GreaseSpot Cafe

"Words of Wisdom" for followers of TWI or any other fundamentalist group pushing phony spiritual power claims

Rocky

Here's a few "words of wisdom" for followers of TWI or any other fundamentalist group pushing manifestations or gifts of Holy Spirit. I can say with a HIGH DEGREE of confidence that neither TWI nor The Way Corps did at any time foster in me any wisdom as reflected in this article. However, as a result of living life (and enduring some of the tribulations/troubles/pressures thereof) over the course of the roughly 35 years since I severed my relationship with Wierwille's cult, I have grown to have some wisdom. I have learned to accept that I've been wrong plenty of times. Have you?

The 7 questions that measure your level of wisdom

I saw this on FB and did a bit of checking on the internet, not wanting to believe something just because it's on FB. Apparently, researchers at UC San Diego distilled a previously 28-question test (survey) down to 7 questions and have shown that those questions can with a reasonable degree of certainty show the level of wisdom a person has gotten to in their life.

“Wisdom is a personality trait complex and multi-component“says the group of researchers led by Dilip V. Jeste and Michael Thomas, from the Department of Psychiatry at the USCD and the Department of Psychology at the University of Colorado, respectively.

The team created the San Diego Wisdom Scale, which originally consisted of 24 items, evaluating six components.

-The component of self-reflection, which measures the desire and ability of people to understand themselves and their actions at a deep level. Assess preferences regarding understanding of one’s thoughts, motivations, and behaviors.

-The component of prosocial behaviors includes empathy, compassion, altruism, and a sense of justice. It assesses the ability to maintain positive social connections, as well as compassion or mindful behavior.

-The component of emotional regulation measures the ability to regulate negative emotions that interfere with decision-making. It evaluates the own feeling of being able to effectively manage negative emotions and emotional stress and favor positive feelings.

-The component of acceptance of divergent perspectives examines acceptance of other value systems and interest in knowing the points of view of others. It measures one’s openness and comfort with values and perspectives that may be different from one’s own.

-The component of decision assesses the ability to make decisions in a timely manner.

-The component of social counseling refers to the ability to give good advice to others.

Subsequently, as a result of the appearance of a growing number of publications that suggested that spirituality is also a component of wisdom, the researchers decided to add it.

-The component of spirituality measures the connection with oneself, with nature or with the transcendent (such as the soul or God).

The total score on this expanded 28-item scale was called the Jeste-Thomas Wisdom Index (SD-WISE-28) or JTWI.

But now, in a study published in the journal International Psychogeriatrics, researchers found that an abbreviated seven-item version (SD-WISE-7) was comparable and reliable.

“Measures of wisdom are increasingly being used to study factors that affect mental health and optimal aging. We wanted to test whether a list of only seven items it could provide valuable information to examine wisdom, “said Jeste, lead author of the paper, senior associate dean of the Center for Healthy Aging and distinguished professor of psychiatry and neurosciences at UCSD School of Medicine. [...]

These are the seven statements that are part of the current abbreviated index:

1. I stay calm under pressure.

2. I avoid self-reflection. (It is scored backwards)

3. I like to be exposed to different points of view.

4. I tend to put off making important decisions as long as I can. (It is scored backwards)

5. I often don’t know what to say to people when they ask me for advice. (It is scored backwards)

6. My spiritual belief gives me inner strength.

7. I avoid situations where I know my help will be needed. (It is scored backwards)

“Shorter does not mean less valid”says Jeste. “We selected the right types of questions to obtain important information that not only contributes to the advancement of science, but also supports our previous data that wisdom is correlated with health and longevity.”

Furthermore, they found that SD-WISE-7 strongly and positively correlated with resilience, happiness and mental well-being and, conversely, strongly and negatively with loneliness, depression and anxiety.

“There are evidence-based interventions to increase the levels of specific components of wisdom, which would help reduce loneliness and promote general well-being, “the researcher stressed.

He added: “Just as the COVID-19 vaccine protects us from the new coronavirus, wisdom can help us protect us from loneliness. Thus, we can potentially help end a behavioral pandemic of loneliness, suicide and opioid abuse that has been occurring for the past 20 years. “

The next steps the team plans to take include genetic, biological, psychosocial, and cultural studies of a large number of diverse populations to assess wisdom, as well as various factors related to the mental, physical, and cognitive health of people throughout life. life, Jeste advanced.

“We need wisdom to survive and thrive in the life. Now, we have a list of questions that take less than a couple of minutes to answer and that can be put into clinical practice to try to help people, “he concluded.

Among the limitations of the study, the authors mentioned that the measures used were based on self-report and, therefore, the associations could be affected by response biases. And they noted that while they would be helpful, there are currently no validated objective measures of wisdom or other personality traits.

Interesting.  Not to be confused with competence.  One can be competent in many areas, yet naive or even foolhardy in others.  Can one also be wise in many aspects of life, yet naive or foolhardy in others?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Twinky said:

Interesting.  Not to be confused with competence.  One can be competent in many areas, yet naive or even foolhardy in others.  Can one also be wise in many aspects of life, yet naive or foolhardy in others?

Not that I have any research on that question, but it seems intuitive that people could be as such.

However, those researchers (psychiatrists and psychologists) define wisdom as a trait.

I wouldn't say it's a trait, which implies something innate.

It seems to me that wisdom is the accumulated wealth of understanding, experience, learning, study, observation, depth and breadth of living.  As such, it's available to anyone who cares to pay attention to what's going on around them, and taking other people's PoV into account.  To be sure, some people seem to have a head start on this, being innately more compassionate or empathetic - but some of that, too, is learned at an early stage from parents and other significant elders.

18 minutes ago, Twinky said:

I wouldn't say it's a trait, which implies something innate.

It seems to me that wisdom is the accumulated wealth of understanding, experience, learning, study, observation, depth and breadth of living.  As such, it's available to anyone who cares to pay attention to what's going on around them, and taking other people's PoV into account.  To be sure, some people seem to have a head start on this, being innately more compassionate or empathetic - but some of that, too, is learned at an early stage from parents and other significant elders.

I definitely get your point of view. However, what these researchers describe (and they have labeled as such) is a trait. A distinguishing feature, as of one's character. What you described seems to be more along the lines of expression or application of one's accumulated knowledge, understanding and/or experience.

From my vantage point, it looks like one is a noun, the other a verb or perhaps an adjective. But both are reasonable and legitimate.

Edited by Rocky

LOL, I might find out more about being wise on 24 Dec, when I play a "wise man" in the church's nativity story.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Twinky said:

LOL, I might find out more about being wise on 24 Dec, when I play a "wise man" in the church's nativity story.

Sounds like fun. My first theatrical performance/experience was the main role in my 4th grade Christmas play, The Smallest Star in the Sky.

Changing the subject back, 

I've been thinking about your feedback from yesterday. While I'm not going so far as to contradict (either you or) the researchers behind the shortened assessment, it occurs to me that another way to characterize (at least part of) what they describe as a trait is as emotional intelligence, EQ. I've read about EQ before and believe it's important. 

I'd say EI (what you call EQ) is a part of wisdom, part of the empathy and understanding that are required to be wise.  In fact, it's probably essential.

12 hours ago, Twinky said:

I'd say EI (what you call EQ) is a part of wisdom, part of the empathy and understanding that are required to be wise.  In fact, it's probably essential.

Yes, EQ as opposed to IQ. But more literally, EI.