GreaseSpot Cafe

The Kingston Trio

I recently attended a concert by the Kingston Trio and did it bring back memories. It amazes me how hearing music will return me to what was going on in the world when I first heard the song. It was like I had never left the era the songs was being played. Underlying most every emotion was the turmoil going on in the country in the 60’s. The country was rocked to the core with all the anti war demonstrations going on, race riots headlined the evening news, campuses were being over taken by students, and drugs were being introduced and used like never before. It was a time great reflection by anyone who believed in the American dream. 
I recall hearing at advanced class ‘78, the decade was referred to as “a crack in time.” 60 Minutes did a piece on the times and labeled it a crack in time. 

The original Kingston Trio members have all passed on so these singers are the 3rd or 4th generation and have even added a base player. The group obviously played the old hits, but also have made new albums. 

The evening was well worth the price of admission taking me back to a great time in my life.

I think my favorite song of theirs was the "MTA" (Massachusetts Transit Authority).  It was actually a political ad complaining that the MTA had just added a dime surcharge to the fare if you passed a certain station.  It was collected as you leave.  One poor passenger got on the train unawares and couldn't get off, because he didn't have a dime on him.  The really sill part was that his wife would hand him a sandwich through the window every day.  Why didn't she just give him a dime?  :biglaugh:

By the time I went to MIT, the extra fare was well established, so I was never caught without the extra dime.  The CTA in Chicago did something similar.  When I took a CTA train in from the northern suburbs, the conductor would collect the extra fare or a transfer token when you entered Chicago.

George