GreaseSpot Cafe

The Gift of Failure, (newsletter from James Clear) btw, I am thankful for GSC and readers here.

Rocky

"One of the most unexpected gifts you can receive is an early loss.

• Missing out on a job you really wanted.
  • Trying a business idea that fails.
  • Suffering a heartbreak.

An early setback can become the catalyst for a wonderful next chapter—if you channel the emotion effectively.

Disappointment is a hot burning fuel. Let it light your fire to become better."

James Clear, author of Atomic Habits

James Clear seems to be all about showing people how to shed their victimhood and maximize their agency.

In that regard, I'm most grateful (besides for YOU, dear reader) for being on the doorstep of the next chapter of my life. 

As a nephew noted to me recently, I have a voice and can reach (some) people. I'm excited to see what that will look like as I am about to embark on my 70th trip around the sun. I must have blinked somewhere along the line, because I could have sworn I had just turned 34 and had my first offspring. The ride has been kinda bumpy. But I'm still upright and more thankful than ever. :love3: :beer: 

Edited by Rocky
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rocky said:

James Clear, author of Atomic Habits

James Clear seems to be all about showing people how to shed their victimhood and maximize their agency.

I agree.   I have his main book, and it is almost identical to my theory on free will. 

I came to the same conclusions he has about "will power," but from a different direction.  I came up with the same main idea he has, except he has applied it to real life in a brilliant way.   I only really applied my theory to laboratory neuroscience research, and barely touched on the practical uses in everyday living, while this seems to be his main focus.

Yes, James Clear is onto something very hot and useful.

• Upvote 1

On 11/23/2023 at 8:18 PM, Rocky said:

... showing people how to shed their victimhood and maximize their agency.

We here have all been victims, one way or another. Do we choose to stay victims? I stayed a victim for a long time, too fearful to dare to be other. But even that fear is a part of the growing experience. 

Now I have something truly to share with those people who are escaping abusive relationships, fear of many kinds, and those who feel incapacitated. 

I feel that all my life experiences so far, both good and bad, help me to help someone else. Life is not what I expected 20, 30, 40 or more years ago. Whose is, really?

Those who can't or won't learn from failures will be victims all their lives, with chips the size of skyscrapers on their shoulders. 

• Like 1