GreaseSpot Cafe

where are these stars (next to some topics) coming from

hey ex,

the stars are the average of a rating window at the bottom right of a thread. it says "rate it."

from a drop down list, you choose the number of stars and express your opinion about the thread's value, kind of like a reviewer rating a movie.

I don't think it's too helpful at this point, but we're not used to it yet. the threads on GS are much more personal in nature than other boards, so the rating may be less suitable here, but it may grow on us.

probably better to express one's opinion in words than to just "grade" the thread, but it's one more option out there.

would someone be having a birthday this weekend? I hope it's a very happy one. there's a certain little boy who will be telling you he's got the best mom on the planet.

Satori,

Re:"I don't think it's too helpful at this point, but we're not used to it yet. the threads on GS are much more personal in nature than other boards, so the rating may be less suitable here, but it may grow on us."

That's my thinking as well. Plus, you could get some mean spirited folks deliberately rating a thread low as some kind of vendetta. Hard to believe but there are actually folks who don't like each other here.

I was messing around with the vote thingee myself and rated the 'yo momma thread in the Humor forum a one *. It made the thread go from a ***** to a *** in just one vote and... I couldn't undo it afterwards. I had to post Adios to let her know what I had done and didn't mean it but I can certainly see how it could be abused. For that reason I no longer use the rating function at all.

sudo

dear satori, thank you from my heart

i saw (((you))) started a birthday thread for me

pirate asked me if he could start one and i said no, but i'm glad now. thank you (((((((pirate)))))))

i'm not going to read it until late tomorrow because it will be like opening a present

thank you for what you said. i am the luckiest mom on the planet to have such a great son

i'm also so lucky to have friends and internet connections with people like you

lots of love,

the crab

sudo, good comment on star search

[This message was edited by excathedra on June 22, 2002 at 10:23.]

Sudo,

I thought the same thing. When I gave you a one star and your thread rating went way down, I thought this can be an easy tool for those with a mean streak.

I am glad we like each other or else it would have been another episode of GS boxing. Virtual Adios against virtual Sudo. hmmmmm not a bad idea.