GreaseSpot Cafe

Going back to Texas

Mister P-Mosh

well, I didn't wanna bring up the fire ants and spider problems. I've killed both a black widow and some brown recluses in the back yard, not to mention copperheads, a coral snake, seen plenty of cotton mouths. Never seen a rattler around here, though. Actually I stepped on a baby copperhead the other day, walking through the grass in a client's front yard. Didn't get bit, though, thank goodness.

I'm allergic to fire ants so I have to be super careful I don't get bit. If I do, I have to go straight to the ER. And now I've got to worry about killer bees too? aye chihuahua. banghead.gif

God bless Texas, my home sweet home. love3.gif

Nature doesn't scare me, having grown up in the South most of my life I've always had those sorts of things to deal with.

Also, I've never had a run-in with bees, killer or otherwise. Wasps and yellowjackets in the North are meaner than anything in Texas. I've been stung at random by wasps and yellowjackets, plus I had a horrible bedbug incident here in Ohio.

As far as snakes go, they usually run away. I've also seen black widows and brown recluses, but if you don't let things get too piled up and stored away it is easier to keep them away.

Fire ants suck, but there are ways to deal with them, although my wife probably wouldn't let me do it the fun way (e.g. gasoline/pyrodex/etc.)

In any case, I don't spend a lot of time outside so it's not as big of a problem for me. I walk to and from the car, sit out on the porch, or go to the beach. If there are good trails in The Woodlands I may teach my wife to ride a bikie and we might do that sometimes, but at this point I rarely spend much time outside.

quote:
Originally posted by ex70'shouston:

Hey ex10 I just remembered the most favorite thing about Houston. POLUTION.

But after driving through Monterey in Mexico, you don't have any polution.

I don't know, breathing is overrated.

Actually, the worst part of Houston is on the Eastern side by all of the refineries and such. I get a headache whenever I drive through there.

I gotta agree on those two things... SE Houston air "quality" does not exist and driving through Monterrey surely is the finest example of purgatory that exists... did it at 5 pm (rushour) on a 10 lane street (5 each way) although there were no lines painted on the road anywhere, not even in the middle, in a little rental nissan that's not sold here eye to eye with the giant tires of the trucks that have headlights held on by coat hangers... but the drive up to Satillo was beautiful...

P-Man, if you're working over the net, try to live in the hill country and "net-commute"... God's country it is...