GreaseSpot Cafe

Opinions on skipping grades

Abigail

WW, Great minds think alike. Excathedra posted one of those links too.

It seems Michigan has done away with its mandated enrichment programs - at least at the elementary school level. Jacob will only qualify for IDEA if he is found to have an emotional imparement, learning disability, or is otherwise impared. I'm not convinced he falls under any of those.

ExC, I cannot relax about this. In fact, I was so upset about it Friday night I couldn't sleep. Then I finally let it go, because there is nothing I can do about it until school starts up again after the break. Then I went to work yesterday and I had a message on my voice mail from the school counselor (I am really glad they did at least try to contact me - though it would have been nice if they would have called the house because I was here). Apparently, his afternoon in the office is considered a suspension. That is something that goes on his record and follows him from school to school.

I was upset all over again and spent another sleepless night last night. It is very important to me that we do everything we can (within reason) to help Jacob view school and learning as a positive experience - I just do not see how that is possible when they are constantly pushing him to his boiling point and he is constantly in trouble.

Anyway, what I can and will do is put together a letter (that is one lesson I learned very well with Aaron - put everthing in writing) to the teacher and principals requesting that they stop removing the educational programs that he does enjoy in an attempt to force him to do paperwork that is way below his ability. This has done nothing to help resolve the problem and has only exacerbated it. In addition I am going to request they do testing to find out what grade level he is functioning at and either move him up a grade or put together some sort of enrichment program to keep him sufficiently challenged and interested.

If they will not do those things, I will simply start looking for a school that will. That is the beauty of the charter school system and schools of choice. icon_smile.gif:)-->

"hmmmm is this brand new and hasn't come down the pike yet?"

I don't know, because until yesterday I never knew such laws existed to begin with. But I did find a website (I think off one of WW links, but I'm not sure now) which basically said that legally Michigan no longer requires schools to provide enrichment programs except on the highschool level. The only way an elementary aged child would qualify for enrichment is if they first qualified under IDEA for an Inidividualized Education Plan - which means they have to be emotionally impared, have a learning disability, or be "otherwise impared" - which is how Aaron qualified.

"Dang it Abi, I'm sorry you are meeting all these brick walls."

Naw, I haven't hit the brick walls yet, I've only just begun to scratch the surface. It is just a somewhat different battle than the one I had for Aaron so I have to find new methods and learn new rules. It is entirely possible the school will be willing to work out a satisfactory program. So far, they have been great with Aaron (but then, legally they no longer have a choice about that).

I am secretary of the Parent Action Committe, I have been to board meetings and met the board members, and I volunteer in the school at least once a week. I am a parent they want to keep, because although I make them work, I am equally willing to work. So I am still hopeful of working something out. At this point I am simply figuring out what the options are and what the best course of action might be.

Am I angry too? Yes, very. I am angry because things shouldn't have been allowed to get this bad, and resolving this shouldn't be this difficult. But I also suspect part of my anger is simply bleed over from the battles I have had to fight for Aaron. Now that Aaron was doing so well, I thought I could actually take a few moments to catch my breath. Maybe even work on getting myself back into school as well. Oh well, maybe next semester.

Abi....I am going to say something here that is COMPLETELY, ONE HUNDRED PERCENT...out of character for Radar.

I live in North Carolina...close to the bottom in the national education level, a state where ALL CHILDREN ARE LEFT BEHIND unless they are enrolled in a private school.

I have always been totally against home-schooling.....when I was living in Greensboro....I told a couple that were in my twig....put your oldest daughter in school (and stop pretend homeschooling) or I am calling Child Social Services. I COULD NOT F---ING BELIEVE I EVER SAID THAT.....but looking back, I can see that I was right. That family put their oldest daughter (who up to that point had been a live in babysitter for her 5 younger siblings) eventually graduated from UNC Chapel Hill with a 4.0 in TWO MAJORS.

What I am getting at is....here in NC we have "co-oped" home schooling. One or two parents take on the actual educational class time for home schooling some kids, and other parents take on the extra curricular activities such as field trips, sports, civic activities. They informally work along the lines of a charter school, but completely follow the educational and social curriculum of home schooling.

In general, I am not in favor of home schooling. I have a college degree and don't feel competent to teach children....but I have seen the benefits....and short comings and now I feel that there is a place for home schooling our children. Could an arrangement like this perhaps work for your boys while they are in these very young, very challenging years? Just adding an option.

Have a great chrismas.....hugs to ALL OF YOUR GUYS!!!

ROR

I know you need to work a full time job.....I am bringing up the co-oped home schooling, in the hope that you can find other parents to share the curriculum with.

Actually, Radar, I work part-time during school hours. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I may check into that. I briefly considered homeschooling before either boy ever entered school because I knew Aaron would have a difficult time being confined to a desk. I did and do teach them at home to the degree that they are receptive and enjoying themselves.

When Aaron was 3 or 4 I mail ordered all sorts of educational stuff and tried to teach him at home. It quickly became clear to me that Aaron was NOT going to learn from mommy because he was not at all interested in co-operating. I believe the same is true today. I am the person he rebells against and vents all over. He is much more receptive to being educated by almost anyone but me. (Jacob is probably the polar opposite and I probably could teach him, but Aaron would have a cow if I homeschooled his brother and made him go to school).

However, this co-oped thing could be an option that would work well for both boys. I will do some research on it and see what I can find in this area.

Thanks

Allow me to throw in another idea, one not so revolutionary.

The problem is he's bored because Kindergarten is partly

learning, and partly babysitting, and the 2nd part is putting

him to sleep.

I had the same problem in Kindergarten. For some bizarre

reason, they let me make the decision on this. As ridiculous

as it sounds, looking back, I think my solution WAS the best

solution.

I went to First Grade in the morning,

and Kindergarten in the afternoon.

Yes, I was doing both grades of work each day.

No chance of being bored THAT way! Too much to do!

Eventually, I decided to just stay with 1st grade,

since I was up until 8pm some nights doing homework.

This way, I eased into 1st grade and didn't have

"culture shock".

Did I end up insufficiently educated for my age?

Well,

for reasons unclear to me,

my parents switched my school at the end of first grade

(rather than starting 2nd grade at the new one.)

I had about a month at the new school, and I made the Honor

Roll, after which I settled in nicely.

(Although they bored me from time to time also, just not so

often.)

So, it's possible that may work for him, without restructuring

the school board this semester.