GreaseSpot Cafe

Muslim school in MN helps children feel more at home

markomalley

OK, so tell me what is wrong with this situation here? Its OK for a Muslim school to use public funds? So I haven't lived in the People's Democratic Republic of Minnesota for 25 years -- those of you who do, is there such a thing as a publically funded Catholic school?

quote:

Charter School Gives Students A Sense Of Belonging

Dec 5, 2004 1:42 pm US/Central

Inver Grove Heights, Minn. (AP) In the middle of a Twin Cities suburb, more than 200 Muslim students study their own heritage and culture, and most importantly, they feel they belong.

When Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy opened its doors for the second year this fall in the former Inver Grove Heights Elementary School, the Islamic charter school had 765 applicants for about 215 seats in kindergarten through fifth grade. Forty of 50 spots for next year's kindergarten class are already reserved. Eight 2-year-olds already have been signed up for the 2007 kindergarten class.

"We were quite shocked when we opened our doors, the demand we tapped into," said executive director Asad Zaman, also the school's principal. "It was clear to us that there was a need. Our kids were not being served at other schools."

Islamic private and charter schools are springing up around the nation as the American Muslim community grows. More than 80 such schools now operate in the United States, according to the Islamic Schools' League of America.

As numbers grow -- as many as 7 million Muslims now live in the United States -- American Muslim families are increasingly looking for schooling options. About 21,000 people in the Twin Cities metro area are from predominantly Muslim countries, almost double the population in 1990, according to an analysis of the 2000 U.S. Census.

At some mainstream public schools, Muslim children -- especially girls who wear headscarves -- are teased. Getting permission for daily prayers or ensuring that cafeteria meals follow Muslim law can be a hassle. (Comment: OK, I can just picture this kind of argument being used by a Christian. Or at least successfully used.

But like parents who choose Christian private or charter schools (comment: what is a Christian charter school?????), some Muslim families simply want to ensure their children learn their culture's values and history.

"I'm teaching my son these things already, but the school helps me raise my children according to our culture," said Eman Ibrahim of Oakdale. Her kindergartner just started this fall, but her second-grader has attended Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy since it opened.

When the Inver Grove Heights school district closed Inver Grove Heights Elementary in June 2000, the district at first reached an agreement to sell the aging school to Al-Amal Elementary in Fridley for $1.3 million. The private school planned to open a south branch, complete with instruction in the Koran.

But Al-Amal's $3,000 per-student tuition is out of the reach of many immigrant Muslim families, so Islamic Relief agreed to sponsor a charter school, which is publicly funded and can charge no tuition.

(snip)

In addition to learning Arabic along with English -- akin to Latin at Catholic prep schools (privately funded) or Hebrew at Jewish schools (privately funded) -- from kindergarten on, other things set Tarek apart. Unlike mainstream Minnesota public schools, where students study comparative religious history in social studies classes, Tarek students study Middle Eastern history more extensively.

In other ways, Tarek's much like any other school, said fourth-grade teacher Sara Shahsavand.

"Academically it's about the same," she said. "But children feel comfortable here asking questions about their own religion. Girls feel comfortable wearing headscarves. They can wear them at other schools and they can pray, but other children make fun of them. Here, they can just be themselves."

About 1 p.m. every day, Tarek students stream out of classrooms, clean up in the restrooms, kneel down facing the east and begin to pray. Zaman says he doesn't track students' religion, but almost all children participate in the daily prayer.

Charter schools like Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy are venturing into the gray area that separates church and state. The law prohibits religious instruction in publicly funded classrooms.

So while much of Tarek resembles the private Al-Amal Islam School in Fridley, the Inver Grove school doesn't teach the Koran or other Islamic religious texts even though almost all its students are Muslim.

"The idea is that the government has to be neutral in matters of religion," said Edward Schiappa, a University of Minnesota communications professor who teaches constitutional law. "It's a fine line."

(snip)

quote:
ut Al-Amal's $3,000 per-student tuition is out of the reach of many immigrant Muslim families, so Islamic Relief agreed to sponsor a charter school, which is publicly funded and can charge no tuition.

If Islamic Relief is sponsering this charter school, how then is it publically funded?

If it is indeed publically funded (government grant for specific religious usage, et al) then it should be challenged ans stopped by groups like the ACLU and others.

But I think there is something about charter schools that allow for public funding (Georgia's state regulated lottery funding charter schools and other schools here). The legal and Constitutional details escape me tho'.

Or, otoh, if you are saying that you're OK if the Archdiocese of Mpls-St Paul sponsors a publically funded charter school that emphasizes Catholic culture, allots time for kids to say the Rosary daily, gives them "Immaculate Conception," "Maundy Thursday," and "Assumption" off, and maybe once a week allows the kids to be excused to go to the church next door for eucharistic adoration (if they'd like), you're OK with that, as well? (Of course, the kids would still have to go to CCD at their own parish)

Edit to add publically funded charter and to acknowledge a cross-post, sorry.

Mark,

My kids attend a charter school. They are funded the same way public schools are - in Michigan that means so much $ per student. Charter schools can be based around anything (i.e. Christian, Muslim, we have one here that is African American) or use any teaching style. BUT they have to meet the state and federal educational requirements and there has to be enough demand to keep the school funded and up and running.

So, if the demand is sufficient and the school meets the educational requirements, then Christians can also form Christian based charter schools.

The entire point of the charter school system was to offer choices to parents who cannot afford private schools and to try and push the public school systems into improving themselves via competition.

quote:
Originally posted by Abigail:

Mark,

My kids attend a charter school. They are funded the same way public schools are - in Michigan that means so much $ per student. Charter schools can be based around anything (i.e. Christian, Muslim, we have one here that is African American) or use any teaching style. BUT they have to meet the state and federal educational requirements and there has to be enough demand to keep the school funded and up and running.

So, if the demand is sufficient and the school meets the educational requirements, then Christians can also form Christian based charter schools.

The entire point of the charter school system was to offer choices to parents who cannot afford private schools and to try and push the public school systems into improving themselves via competition.

You - are - kidding, Abi. You actually have a Christian-based Charter school in your area? Really? I am shocked. Seriously. Can you tell me the name of the school and the town its in (please)? Not that I doubt you, but I want to see if its existence has been challenged, yet.

P.S.

For me, the charter school system has been a godsend. My oldest son was bored to tears in the public school system kindergarten class - I couldn't afford a private school but was able to move him to a charter school that used the Montessori method - by the end of first grade he was doing multiplication, division, and fractions.

Unfortunately and in large part because of the way Michigan evaluates the schools, the charter school was shut down last year. Now both boys are in a traditional style charter school. My oldest son is back to basic addition and my youngest son is now bored to death in kindergarten.

icon_frown.gif:(-->

" You actually have a Christian-based Charter school in your area? Really? I am shocked. Seriously. Can you tell me the name of the school and the town its in (please)? Not that I doubt you, but I want to see if its existence has been challenged, yet. "

No Mark, that is not what I said. I said we have a school that is based around the African American culture.

I also said "if the demand is sufficient and the school meets the educational requirements, then Christians can also form Christian based charter schools"

I, for one, would not have a problem with this, even though I would not choose to educate my children there.

Yeah--Hmm

Abbi I dont know--I think this should be challenged.

It is defintely bringing in a religion to the public domain

Im not against non-militant muslims, but this is public funds and sets a precedent...

what if we wanted a charter school around hating whites, or hating blacks or only Southern Baptists (one of the scariest IMNSHO)

but having family in Minnesota and being kept abrest of the state's affairs...this does not surprise me.

Ps too: My son also attends a computer based Charter School called Southwest Secondary Learning Center...most of the seniors are co-enrolled in the local community college too.

I know about African-American charter schools. We have them around here, as well. See, Abi, what shocked me about this article was that it was based, not upon Somali culture (which would, of course, be legit), but upon Islam. My understanding was that charter schools could be based upon anything EXCEPT religion. When you made that statement, it blew my mind.

Oh, and I remember reading about your children and I really feel for you. My daughter was bored out of her gourd all through elementary school (and that was in a parochial school -- I'd have hated to see her in a public school).

Abi, this statement of yours "Now both boys are in a traditional style charter school. My oldest son is back to basic addition and my youngest son is now bored to death in kindergarten." is very disturbing. Such notice of failure to provide what their hungry young minds need is very disturbing.

Mark, do you or anyone know if they are taught the same American history as public schools?

Mark -- if you want, here is The Lakeview Christian Academy web-site. The school is about 3 miles from my house, and looking thru the site, I don't see any *funding* mentioned --- other than bus rides to the school (ISD 709 is our public school district), thus funded by taxpayer $$. But it also doesn't look like that is utilized very much.

Thanks. Here in MD all they do is provide secular textbooks (and that is HOTLY contested in the legislature every year). No transportation. See, I remember when I was a kid going to school in Stillwater, that we used to drop kids off on the way home for CCD class, but that was a long time ago and it was exactly along the school bus route already.

The charter status (taxpayer funded) still freaks me out though.

Mark,

I'm sure each state does it differently,but the way charter schools are "publicly funded" is usually through vouchers for each student...When they passed the voucher law in Arizona a few years ago,it was something like $500 per month per student...That ended up being what the usual tuition was for charter schools...Now,if the Islamic Relief Fund was financed by U.S. dollars,then it would truly be a publicly funded school...

The difference,I think,between a 'charter school' and a 'private school'is there will be more requirements of a charter school,since in effect,the gov't is paying the tuition through vouchers,whereas a private school doesn't have to meet certain gov't criteria because the tuition is privately paid...

In Arizona,the people voted for school vouchers for charter schools because they were fed up w/ the public school system...I think the only hand the government plays in them is that they meet certain minimum education standards...Otherwise, they are given the lattitude to emphasise all kinds of specialties in their curicullums,like fine arts,religion,etc. ...

Simon, thanks for that. Yes, it sounds like "charter" schools in AZ operate considerably differently than they do here.

Here in MD (Prince George's County, to be specific), charter schools are owned and operated by the school district, but are run with a specific curriculum option in mind (and they have considerably more flexibility than normal schools). For example, there are "traditional academies" that offer a discipline and structure rich environment, montessori academies, french immersion academies, IT academies, etc. They have to, as you say, cover the basic minimums on the core curriculum, but are very, very flexible in everything else...Just as a point of interest, they were used as an alternative to mandatory bussing here, in order to attract kids from a certain demographic profile into areas with other demographics (if you think I'm kidding, you should have seen the catalog and application -- that was the first criterion for who could apply for one of those programs).

In the District of Columbia, they also have charter schools, which basically operate under the same premise (as a point of trivia, Jenna Bush is going to start teaching in one of them shortly). But, starting this year, they also started a proper "voucher" program for kids in some of the worst DC schools. Those vouchers could be used in any school the parent wanted, public, private, or parochial. There was a HUGE controversy over that, as they didn't want Catholic schools in the district to get any of the district's money. (Of course, the kids in DC Catholic schools actually learn to read, write, speak, compute, etc. and for about $3,500 a year cost as opposed to over $10K for public schools...but that's a different issue).

So, I'm glad to see that some states run their charter programs more closely to how DC is running their voucher program, as opposed to how MD is running their charter school program.

Thanks

I have no idea about that for charter schools (except as I indicated above). As for parochial schools (which are run by the diocese, not the government), the discrimination runs by family, by parish, and by religion. In other words, the first priority is if siblings are already students there, then if the applicant's family is a member of the parish, then if the applicant is Catholic. Otherwise...race, handicap, etc., they do not. (But, since the schools are sponsored by the diocese and are subsidized by the parish, I don't think there should be an issue)

Likewise, I cannot speak about Muslim schools that operate in this area (there are a few that are funded by the Saudi embassy). I have never been curious.

Never wanted to send your kids to a Muslim school,Mark?

I know the Catholic schools on their own have been accepting non-Catholics for some time now...I don't think they're required to go Mass,but they do go to the religion classes...

I would think that 'open enrollment' would be a requirement if it's a government paid vouchered charter school...

My daughter goes to a public charter school here in Minnesota. It is an art charter school. Yes it is public which they can't charge but they do have a sponsor where they get a lot of their money and also through fundraising. I'm almost positive they don't receive any tax money.

There is no busing here but they can get a ticket from the city buses and can get there through the city.

The school has been a lifesaver for my daughter. She was failing and would never be graduating. Now she is receiving A's and B's in her senior year. Because she was failing in a regular public school system she does have to be a senior a second year.

Now there is hope. She is planning on going to college and become an art teacher.

She is an artist type of person that plays her own tune. I supported her in the way of letting her know it was ok to be different. The kids in the regular public school tormented her to the point she was unable to function because of it. At the charter school they accept her as she is as they are all the artist type.

I'm all for this muslim school if it helps the children learn and be themselves. It might be something I do not believe in but this is a free country and if its not me who is paying for it, then I think its great!!!