GreaseSpot Cafe

our religious service

polar bear

What does the phrase "our religious service" from Romans 12 realy mean. It's not talking about sacrificeing our time to go to ritualistic meetings, or going to classis over and over, or going to the same meeting over and over with the same peole. It's how we think. God wants us to live in love that's all. Wouldn't God want us to enjoy the one life we have with all the variety we can get. Then we could love others. Life life and enjoy it with those you love, your family. That I believe my freinds is our duty.

Polarbear: In KJV it says 'reasonable' service, but I've always taken that to mean it's the least you can do considering what God's done for you. True, you need to be in a situation where your 'living sacrifice' has some real impact, and this is compromised if your situation has degenerated to nothing but 'the same meeting over and over with the same people' as you say. Personally, I think this is always a work in progress...to keep the balance between complacency and extreme legalism.

'reasonable' is grk. 'logikos' = 'of the word. It's used in 1 Pet. 2:2 also in 'sincere milk of the word'. It's really pretty straight ahead in meaning in Romans I think - ... dadadah, 'which is your service of the word'. Romans 12 then goes on with saying 'having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us'...whatever those are, go for it. Do it. Have fun. Diversity is inherent, integral in the body of Christ according to Paul. It's not a product of human organization but rather a quality of the 'members'.

By controlling the contributions and activities of the members from a single one-person point of 'leadership' it strangles the unique contributions that all of the other parts can make. If I follow the drift of God in Christ in us, etc. the primary purpose of 'leadership' in the group is to help each member grow up to their own highest potential. That seems to be what Paul is saying and 'exhorting' in Rom. 12:1.

I agree, Way World was rife with FlatButtitis, a seldom discussed physical deformity that occurs as a direct result of sitting in a brown folding chair for more than 1 hour at a time listening to someone drone on about something you've already heard 100 times before. After you've heard it 10 times, that's enough for crimneezsake. Let's do something.