GreaseSpot Cafe

Art Bell's Psychic Scoreboard for 2004

Pirate1974

At the end of every year, radio host Art Bell invites folks who believe they have psychic powers to make predictions for the coming year.

If you don't know Art Bell, his guests and callers tend to be a little different. Folks who claim they've visited Venus or had Venusians visit them or they were Alexander the Great in a past life or they've talked to Jesus on the phone or they have regular out-of-body experiences or the ghost of Abraham Lincoln lives in their house. Folks the rest of the world might think are just a little odd. In most markets, he's on from midnight to 4:00 AM or 1:00 AM to 5:00 AM, a time period which really brings out the borderline loonies.

Let's take a look at some of the predictions for 2004 and see how they came out:

Bigfoot will be captured.

or

Bigfoot will be struck by a car on an Arizona highway and will show up at a local hospital.

Wrong and wronger, but #2 certainly shows imagination.

The Pope will pass away during Lent and the new Pope will be black.

Wrong.

A giant asteroid will hit the Earth.

I don't think so. If this had happened, we probably would have heard about it.

Evidence of an ancient civilization will be discovered on Mars.

Nope.

Huge bombs will be detonated in 12 U.S. cities.

Wrong - unless you count the movies "Catwoman" and "New York Minute."

Osam bin Laden will be captured/killed/tried and executed (take your pick.)

Wrong/wrong/wrong.

A huge hurricane will destroy New Orleans.

I don't think so.

A huge tidal wave will destroy most of southern California.

Nope.

A huge earthquake will devastate New Mexico.

Wrong.

A natural nuclear-strength explosion will destroy much of Alaska.

Wrong.

A huge volcano will erupt in Yellowstone Park.

Wrong again. Natural disasters in the U.S. are very popular with Art's gang.

Dick Cheney will not be Bush's running mate in 2004. Condoleeza Rice will take his place and then be elected president in 2008, beating Hillary Clinton.

icon_eek.gif

One of President Bush's daughters will become pregnant.

Can't be sure about that one yet.

Tennessee Titans will defeat Philadelphia Eagles in the Super Bowl.

Very wrong.

The Boston Red Sox will win the World Series, predicted by two separate "psychics."

Well, even a blind pig will find an acorn every now and then.

I always love the way Mr. Bell challenges his guests.

Guest - "The Venusians are - as we speak - gathering their armada together and mounting their assault on Earth."

Bell - "Yes! I've heard about that!" "Just amazing!"

When he should be giving out recommendations for a good therapist, instead he encourages the poor, demented geeks - all the while making his living doing so.

Unethical doesn't begin to say it...

Here's a sampling of the predictions for 2005:

Bigfoot will be captured and "classified."

Bigfoot is always a popular subject on Art's show.

Russian forces will invade Alaska.

Since it didn't blow up in 2004, let's invade it.

Canadian citizens will rally to become part of the U.S.

Not likely.

Islamic terrorists will take over the government of Saudi Arabia.

Possible.

Terrorists will release a virus in New York City.

A computer virus?

The Ark of the Covenant will be discovered.

By a Dr. Jones, no doubt.

A disease will cause red armpits all over the U.S.

Yuck.

The "Bigfoot" prediction may turn out somewhat true - figuratively speaking.

There was an entertaining article in last month's "Fortean Times" on how the "hoax" of the famous, late 60s Patterson film footage - as seen in all those darn bigfoot and paranormal documentaries - was pulled off, with interviews with the supposed, guy-in-the-gorilla-suit, the costume designer, and a few others in on the hoax. There's a book coming out about the whole thing (of course).

So one could say that Bigfoot was "captured" - But the article also pointed out that others have come forward in the past confessing to be guy in the gorilla suit (lol). So who knows...

That costume designer is Phillip Morris who owns Morris Costumes here in Charlotte. He's made gorilla costumes used in the movies for years and he claims he sold one to Roger Patterson in 1967.

Morris has been interviewed on local tv about this several times and he says he recognized "Bigfoot" as somebody wearing one of his gorilla costumes as soon as he saw the film the first time. He says the costume had been altered to give it longer arms and a little different face, but it was one of his. Supposedly, he's going to recreate the costume for this book.

What's amazed me is how normal these wackos sound!! It's made me seriously think that these shows are possibly scripted with professional actors.

You can get folks to believe most anything. I guess you just have to sound sincere... and normal. icon_cool.gif

sudo