GreaseSpot Cafe

iPods

oldiesman

quote:
With CD's if I can remember what CD it's on I can recognize it on the shelf. With music on my PC I can type and search for it by name. But how does it work on a Pod or other Hard Drive device?
My3Cents, it's very easy, all you have to do is press the middle button, then lightly graze your fingertip in a circular motion over the wheel a few times until you get the song you want and viola! you have the song you want!

quote:
Oldies you are so cutting edge I just saw on the news a moment ago Playboy is jumping in the market with downloadable playmates for ipods called what else Ibod's.
Whitedove, I need the 40GB or 60GB photo compatible model for that. Thanks for the tip!

quote:
Is the fidelity that good on the iPod's recorder?
Mark, I think it's definitely acceptable. I'm an original vinyl man, so nothing sounds as good as the original on vinyl. But for overall listening and especially while doing activities this is hard to beat.

One suggestion if you're buying an iPod: keep it stored in the thin plastic holder that comes with it, until you buy a protective rubber skin. These things get scratched very very easily and you don't want it all scratched up, especially the viewing screen.

My wife and I both have iPods and love them. They are the greatest MP3 players out there...

...but...

...iTunes is a horrible piece of crap. Unfortunately, Apple handicapped the iPod with iTunes in such a way that I would not reccomend an iPod to anyone who just wanted to listen to music. Here are a few gotchas:

1) If you switch computers or if your computer dies, you lose all of your music. It is not possible via iTunes to copy music from your iPod to your hard drive, only the opposite.

2) iPods force you to use iTunes, rather than allowing it to be set up as a virtual drive and just copy songs over like most other MP3 players.

3) iTunes does not use the normal key behavior on Windows. For example, if you use Shift and the arrow keys to select a bunch of songs, if you press up, it messes up and goes to the top of the list and goes up one, instead of acting normal and just deselecting the one at the bottom.

4) iTunes locks up randomly and regularly. It comes back, but it is a pain to deal with.

5) If you use AACs instead of MP3s, there is strict DRM software that prevents you from copying it to more than a set limit of computers.

There are some things you can do to make things easier. I use EphPod, which is sort of an iTunes replacement. However, if you upgrade your iPod to the most current firmware it may not work. Unfortunately, the designers of the iPod are geniuses, but the people that designed iTunes deserve a bullet to the skull (not literally, but they nearly made me lose my entire music collection, my CDs are in storage and unavailable for now.) I would look for alternatives to iTunes before you consider buying an iPod.

Mister P-Mosh said:

quote:
1) If you switch computers or if your computer dies, you lose all of your music. It is not possible via iTunes to copy music from your iPod to your hard drive, only the opposite.

2) iPods force you to use iTunes, rather than allowing it to be set up as a virtual drive and just copy songs over like most other MP3 players. ... I would look for alternatives to iTunes before you consider buying an iPod.

Mr. P:

Please correct me if I'm wrong and I haven't tried this yet, but to my knowledge, you can copy all your music files and photos and other files and store them on the iPod outside of iTunes. To do this, you need to put the iPod in hard disk mode, then use it as an external drive. Files stored in this manner cannot be heard or viewed, only stored, then copied to another computer via your USB cable. So the trick is to get enough space on your iPod to be able to have your music to listen to in iTunes, AND to store them elsewhere on the iPod in the event of a computer crash.

Check this out:

USING IPOD AS A HARD DISK

quote:
Originally posted by oldiesman:

Mr. P:

Please correct me if I'm wrong and I haven't tried this yet, but to my knowledge, you can copy all your music files and photos and other files and store them on the iPod outside of iTunes. To do this, you need to put the iPod in hard disk mode, then use it as an external drive. Files stored in this manner cannot be heard or viewed, only stored, then copied to another computer via your USB cable. So the trick is to get enough space on your iPod to be able to have your music to listen to in iTunes, AND to store them elsewhere on the iPod in the event of a computer crash.

You are correct, but it is a stupid thing to be required to do if your purpose is to back up your music collection. If you have 20GB of music, you have to get a 40GB iPod just so you can have it on there twice.

quote:
... I've also tied this together with my Rhapsody.com subscription and am finally getting a hold on the high cost of music, legally. (they're 9.95 a month, .79 a download and they have nearly a million tunes catalogued).
Socks, this past weekend I joined rhapsody.com, to download some music and see how they were. I asked for 4 songs, and NONE of the 4 were found on rhapsody:

(1) "Goodbye to Love" by The Marcels

(2) "Hey Babe, What Would You Say?" by Hurricane Smith

(3) "Nasty Girl" by Vanity 6

(4) "Heaven and Paradise" by The Meadowlarks

I also looked for these 4 tunes on Napster and didn't exist on their site as well.

I'm beginning to realize that these download sites aren't as good as we think they are; but I'm still looking.

Other alternative is to just buy the CD.

icon_eek.gif Yeah, that's a drag. You might try searching in different ways through artist and track and genre, I've come across some songs in collections that way. But there are some that aren't in. Rhapsody increases as they increase their licensing deals. Like the Beach Boys - they were on, then off, now they've been back for quite awhile. I was trying to find "Groove is in the Heart" by Deelite, and although they had Bootsy Collins and Q-Tip, that particular song and artist isn't licensed. I hope you get more, I have found most of my searches though. Recently got Gerry Leonard's "Spellbound" and that's been hard to locate.

Was reading in todays paper that analysts estimated Apple sold more than 4 million iPods during the holiday season and that that could push the number of iPod users to 10 million.

In response to the high popularity of iPods, electronic makers are going to make adapters so drivers can use their vehicle stereo controls to run their iPod, instead of fiddling with the unit itself.

Some of these are Pioneer Electronics, Clarion, and Alpine Electronics (already noted by Paw). New BMW cars already have them available. icon_smile.gif:)-->