GreaseSpot Cafe

iPods

oldiesman

Just bought a 40GB Apple iPod and this thing rocks. I have almost 2000 songs now stored on it, and a few books. They say this 40GB will hold 10,000 songs. Goodness!

This may be hooked up to your car or motorcycle via a combination car charger and FM transmitter. You can hear the songs on FM radio while charging at the same time!

Also bought a contraption called "autocomm" which allows me to hear the iPod music inside my motorcycle helmet while riding.

Any other folks have an iPod?

104243.gif

I don't have one, but I bought my daughter a 30GB iPod for her birthday. Needless to say, she loves it. She also has the FM dongle and runs the Apple music cataloging program on her laptop.

iPods are an incredible success story for Apple. I have heard that they are are the only thing keeping Apple profitable. My daughter likes the iPod so much, she wants to sell her nice Toshiba laptop and buy an iBook.

Now as for me and my tech gadgets, we could talk about my 3 Tivo's, but that would be another thread.

iTunes always has a free download. They also have things like the entire Republican and Democratic conventions downloads for free.

Alpine makes a car stereo that you can plug the iPod into and you can control the iPod from the stereo. It is very cool.

If you use iTunes, you can make some playlists with conditions like, "only Beatles that I haven't played in the last 3 months". Every time that I bring the iPod in from the car, I hook it up and it updates taking off the songs that I just played and adding some new ones.

Then you can rate songs from one to five and then pick to only play the 4 and 5 stars.

It is lots of fun.

quote:
Alpine makes a car stereo that you can plug the iPod into and you can control the iPod from the stereo. It is very cool.

From what I hear, they're also starting to make BMW cars with iPod sockets. I hope they also do that with their motorcycles, since I ride BMW... So Kewl...

Exc, I think the free songs are chosen for you, you can't just choose what free ones you want.

Paw said, "They also have things like the entire Republican and Democratic conventions downloads for free."

This strikes me as about as exciting a feature as a doctor coming up to me on the street and saying, "Free colonoscopies!"

The music sounds good, though. Is the iPod harder to work than my old 8-track?

Hey oldies, got one the family gave me for Christmas, the ipod mini, little blue job with a belt clip. They're really a beautiful thing. Took me 5 minutes and I was sold. I really like the itunes software. I've been comparing wav to wma to the aac formats and for this kind of listening the aac sounds fine and turns up a tad smaller in size per song. The software makes it a breeze to manage songlists.

Linda you'd love them. I've got about 3 hours of music on it so far, 50 tunes. This one will hold a 1,000. They're easy to operate. I've got a plug in adapter in the car I drive that goes in to the tape deck. I'd been considering getting a cd stacker and was very reluctant to cart around a 100 cd's in load, in the car, and have all that moving around to do. This solves it, plus you have a completely portable little thingie that has all your music in it. Sweeeeeeet. Like Paw says, it's fun. Wheee!

Also did you check out audible.com? If you want to listen to books rather than read them (like me) this is the way to go. I signed up for a year, it costs $14.95 per month and that includes 1 book download plus 1 periodical download per month.

I already downloaded the New Testament by Gregory Peck, and some other free stuff, like the first Bush/Kerry debate.

microphone.gif

My question about iPod (and other hard drive music devices) is - how easy is it to find a given song?

I can imagine enjoying having all my music on one little box - especially to take with me. But when I get a bug in my head to hear a specific song that I know I have how easy/hard is it to find that one song among 2,000 or 10,000?

With CD's if I can remember what CD it's on I can recognize it on the shelf. With music on my PC I can type and search for it by name. But how does it work on a Pod or other Hard Drive device?

Is the fidelity that good on the iPod's recorder? I know when I have tried to record albums or CDs through my computer, I have been very disappointed with the results. And I'm either too cheap or just not motivated enough to bite the bullet and buy a decent audio card.

When I hear of 2,000 songs downloaded to the device (@ 99 cents a pop), I'm thinking I must be in the wrong line of work!

Likewise, Paw. I've also tied this together with my Rhapsody.com subscription and am finally getting a hold on the high cost of music, legally. (they're 9.95 a month, .79 a download and they have nearly a million tunes catalogued).

Mark, I'm happy with the sound quality. It's stereo, 44,100 khz, 128 kbs. Pretty much like a cd to the ear, and through headphones or a car system, downright pleasing.

Mark, the sound is awesome... (at least I can't tell any difference)... however... I opted for the CREATIVE ZEN XTRA... it's 30GB and it was only $179!!! Lots cheaper than the Ipod and only a tad larger (still smaller than an 8 track)... I've already loaded about 200 CD's on it (at 248 cuz I thought I'd get better quality) and I still have about a third of it left... like my brother socks, I bought it so that I wouldn't have to cart around all of the CDs...

It's a thing of beauty! With the one I bought I can download from anywhere (Ipod has to download from itunes, and others are proprietery as well, think Sony)... It has the same management options that paw described above... I can build playlists or just cruise around and click on "play next" for as long as I want and it just keeps adding the songs to the que...

So... these things are great, but if you want to save $100 or $200 on the Ipod, get the one by Creative... works great, has a removable battery, plays for 12 hours on a charge... and I have a Honda Element that has a jack built into the dash so's I can play it through the sound system (but you can get the FM thingie as well)...

Get one, you won't be disappointed no matter what size you get... even those little 256mb sticks that plug right into your USB have great sound and hold about 3 hours of music...