GreaseSpot Cafe

Thank you Bluz & buyer beware

Abigail

On New Years eve, while we were out, our computer was seriously hacked. (our (ex) babysitter downloaded a ton of stuff). We came home to find we had 4 viruses and a bunch of hijackers.

Ever since then, we have been trying to clean this machine up and get it running again. It has been a costly and time consuming nightmare.

In the process of trying to clean this thing up, we lost a crucial file. Our CD driver wouldn't work and we couldn't get on-line.

Bluz spent HOURS on the phone with us, helping us get things running sufficiently so we could copy those things we really didn't want to lose, (like our pictures) and then helped us reformat our harddrive and reinstall everything new. The result is our computer is now working better than it has in YEARS!!

So, I wanted to thank Bluz for all his wonderful help!!!!

I also wanted to warn people to be careful of what you download off the internet. Viruses and hijackers aren't the only thing that can cause computer problems.

Some of the programs we downloaded while trying to clean this machine up caused huge problems. These programs will overwrite files you need. Then if you try to get rid of the program you will also lose the files you need. Zone Alarm is one of them. It over wrote a driver file (I think). It also wouldn't let us install the and properly run the Norton's program we bought. It was in trying to get Zone Alarm off our system that we lost our driver, because it had overwritten the program.

Another thing I learned is that SOME of the spyware programs actually cause the very problem you are trying to get rid of.

In the future, I will be very very cautious about what I download off the internet and I will do a lot of research before installing anything new on our computer.

Good information!

AND, ain't it great to belong to a community of friends who help because they WANT to and not because they're asked or feel obligated to?

Besides that, there probably aren't many people left in TWI that have 1/10th of the knowledge about many things people on this board do.