GreaseSpot Cafe

The Schoenheit Paper

Refiner

Goey

Then by your standard, Jim Bakker should still be a minister and the same goes for Jimmy Swaggart.

And let's not forget those fun-loving guys with the white collars and black suits. What'a little sex with minors when we are talking about God every other day.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Def,

That's not what he said. You're grossly misrepresenting what Goey wrote.

By your standard, anything taught by Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart should be dismissed, including the Trinity, life after death, etc.

Goey

You miss my point. I am amazed that anyone still clings to vpw's doctrines given that his life never came close to matching the lofty ideals he espoused.

You can't judge a book by its, just open the pages and see what's inside.

As for my beliefs on the Trinity and other issues, those came from reading and studying the Word. I have stated previously that I was non-Trinitarian before I joined TWI and while I was in.

A few years after I left, I started looking that Bible afresh. I saw the Word in a new light and for me the answer was simple.

If you have a different conclusion, so be it. I hope God has mercy on both our souls.

Ok, that's much better:

The veracity of the Trinity OR the veracity of Biblical Unitarianism rises or falls on the doctrine, not on the integrity of those who espouse it. That's what Goey was saying, and it appears that you are saying the same thing.

quote:
You miss my point. I am amazed that anyone still clings to vpw's doctrines given that his life never came close to matching the lofty ideals he espoused.

Nope, you missed mine.

Def, I submit that you still cling to many of "VPW's doctrines". Didn't VPW teach that Jesus died and then rose from the dead? Didn't he teach many other more mainstream doctrines? Have you abandoned all of these becasuue of VPW's ungodly behavior? Of course not.

VPW's doctrines encompass more than just non-trinitarianism and the law of believing or twisted private teachings about adultry.

When we mention "VPW's doctrines" I think is is probably a good idea to distinguish what particular doctrines we are are refering too rather than making sweeping statements like the one above.

A natural reading of the post quoted above and the one that I first responded to, pretty much implies that folks should not believe (cling to) VPW's teachings (doctrines -plural) because VPW personal life was a sham.

Granted, VPW's chartacter, plaigerism, and sloppy research are reason to question just about everything he taught, but not reason to reject them all outright. Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.

Again my point was simply that VPW's sins do not make his teachings wrong or unworthy of being believed. Each teaching/doctrine stands or falls on it's own merits.