GreaseSpot Cafe

Books on CD?

nonameplease

The person who was selling Way books on CD is now giving them away as a free gift with purchase of artwork. I tried to be nice and tell her that you can't distribute copyrighted material, but she insists that "I checked that out on the copyright site, and it stated that I can. Furthermore, I checked for their copyright on this CD-ROM, I didn't find any."

Is The Way distributing their books on CD-ROM now? I haven't heard anything, but somehow I really doubt it.

Just curious.

Even though TWI didn't produce that CD-ROM, they still own the copyrights on the material. It doesn't matter if the person doesn't charge for it, they still own the rights.

I used to have a copy of it, but I tossed it in the shredder a couple of months ago.

Steve: They do, but it takes a long time for something to fall into the public domain. 99 years or some such.

EDIT: Ok, thanks to the Sonny Bono Copyright Extension Act of 1998, there will be NO copyright expirations for anything until 2018. That means that all the stuff between 1923 and 1943 that might have become public domain (like Mickey Mouse(!)) won't. The decision will have to be re-evaluated in 2018.

Therefore, ALL of VPW's works' copyrights are still valid and in force.

Hey All

I also visited with this lady about the disk.

I want to add this she was not aware of the fact that it was copyrighted still. (For reasons I wont go in to) It was an honest mistake and she pulled them from ebay once she realized it was, she had made up a few and did not want to trash them.

Now the reason she was doing this in the first place was because her husband was hit by a drunk driver and suffered nerve damage and is not able to work. She works a job but it is not enough to keep them afloat she is just trying to keep going on with life. I don't know if she comes here to read but maybe we can cut her a little slack.

At least maybe if nothing else we can pray for her,also if you would be interested in helping her in some other way you may contact me and I will forward your email to her. You can email me at the bookshop.

Thanks

Email:itiswrittenbksp@msn.com

Edited by Whitedove

well... IF someone were to wish to help her out financially with her situation... and as a way of showing gratitude she were to send them one of these CDs... would that violate any copyright laws?

I don't think it's against the law to type something into a computer from books you bought and paid for. She wouldn't be selling them.

I did not intend to disparage this woman in any way. I wrote to her because she doesn't seem to know much about copyright law, and I didn't want to see her get slammed by TWI. Personally, I wish she could get rich off these CD's. She sure desrves it more than TWI.

So I guess the answer to my question is :

no, TWI has not released these materials on CD-ROM. I wanted to check to be sure before I made any statements.

Tom, you can make copies of materials for your own personal use. Distribution is another story, even if it is not done for profit. I'm not entirely sure about the scenario you introduce...is there a lawyer in the house?

call me

nonameplease