GreaseSpot Cafe

Digital Camera Question

satori001

I own 3 digital cameras. Two are point-and-shoot, the other is a 3 megapixel quasi-pro Nikon now about 4 years old.

They all have one problem: the inability to take consecutive photos without stalling to process the photos just taken. I've missed countless opportunities for great shots because the memory light was flashing, sometimes for minutes.

In all the reviews and lists of features I've read, I can't find the specification that tells me the camera will be able to keep up with the shots I want to take.

Cameras offer "burst mode," which means it will take a burst of rapid-fire shots - up to 5 or 10. After those are used up, you sit and wait.

I went to a large consumer electronics store where I purchased the camera and they told me I needed high-speed memory. It cost $70 for a postage stamp sized wafer called a Sandisk Ultra II 512 MB SD ram. It made no difference. Apparently the bottleneck is in the camera's own processor, not the memory. The "ultra" memory downloads the photos to the computer a little faster, but not $70 worth.

When I ask the sales people, they don't even know the term for rapid-picture taking performance. The only speed they recognize (barely) is shutter speed.

Has anyone out there solved this problem? Are there any reasonable digital cameras that can keep up with a $15 disposable point-and-shoot?

Yeah, I should probably have gone to a camera store, but they still look down on digitals, except for the very high end.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1...productNr=25219

Check this link out. It refers Increased Buffer Capacity. That is the thing to look for, although each brand is little different.

I tried a Nikon digital (d-10?) a few months back and took about 20 shots in the span of about 6 seconds. The key to the speed is in the size of the pic you want (the larger the slower) and flash. Flash will slow down the process. The memory card will help also. When i tried the same camera setup and a slower card, the time almost quadrupled.

I got the Sony Cybershot 5.1 megpix camera, for that reason Satori. It has a very fast start up, from turning it on to shooting, a little over a second. Each exposure takes about a second. Snap, shoot, snap shoot. They solve most of that problem. Try the one with the Carl Zeiss lens, it does a pretty good job.

Thanks. I'll look at them. A photo place I just called recommended the Sony V3 too.

The terms he mentioned were:

1. time between shots

2. cycle time

He said many camera companies were "embarrassed" by their inferior specs so they often don't include them. You'll see phrasing like "better" or "faster" (than what?) rather than actual cycle times measured.

The Sony at around $550 street and .5 second cycle time was one of the better ones. A review said that cycle time can vary depending on how many shots are backlogged in the camera's buffer (memory).

I took my kid to the park yesterday and had found a beautiful shot, on a foot bridge, with the sun setting in the background, its light reflecting off the trees and local architecture, and the damn camera just sat there and blinked. Miserable piece of #$%#. I'd never have bought the thing if they'd published the cycle-time specs. It's headed for Ebay.

Two words. Nikon D70. Here are some snapshots I took last weekend after a thunderstorm:

--url removed-- email me if interested

I used the point-and-shoot mode.

I know the price is high, but it will be the last digital camera you will buy for a long time.

Edited by jim

I hear ya. That, and the quality, kept me from digital for a long time. I learned photography on 35mm, Nikon FE2's and FM's, motorized shutters, good lenses. 25 asa film for stills, or good slide film. Then a Bronica for medium format. Can't beat it. It took me a long time to feel like digital was going to come anywhere near the flexibility or speed of a decent manual exposure camera.

I shoulda said "my wife bought it for those reasons" - the speed and the convenience. icon_smile.gif:)--> We'd been talking for awhile about cameras, relative benefits, etc. etc. I couldn't make up my mind. So the fam got it for my birthday. Bless 'em. The small size was an adjustment, but now that I'm familiar with it it's perfect for the majority of situations and as long as it's fast enough to capture the moment I'm happy. It fits in a cell phone case, I can walk it into nearly any situation. It's been a good deal for me.

I've got the 707 Sony cybershot. It's replacement the 828, has a great lens but has some serious problems when you take photos at the full megapixel setting (8.2 i think) There is discoloration around the edges

The 707 is great as well as the 717, but they are much bulkier than some of the other Sony models. The Carl Zeiss lens is a great lens.

There's a website that sells the Sony DSC F828 for about $550. It's a gray market camera, and they say the only drawback is I would need to ship it overseas to be repaired under warranty.

Anybody ever buy a gray market (not for American markets) camera and live to tell the story?

I was thinking about buying one on ebay a few months ago.... the price was too good to be true and it was a scam.

The 828 is due for an upgrade soon it will go down in price when the new one comes out

I bought the 707 when the 717 came out and they had reduced the price by about a 150 dollars

This digital camera thing seems to keep people standing at the displays talking to salesmen more than any other product I can think of.

I understand the wait to shoot again thing.

I love my Canon S1 ls even though it's a bit basic. Love the x10 zoom and video it does.

I saw a x7 zoom Canon I'd consider, but I may hold out solid for a x10 to x12 zoom minimum on the second camera. Especially after experiencing what can be captured.

Apparently, lens quality is one of the most overlooked and least discussed subjects in digital photography amongst the general user.