GreaseSpot Cafe

Bio

Kay1952

I guess I'm ready for this...here goes!

I was raised quite conservatively, which is probably why twi intrigued me so. I didn't hear condemnation, or even reproof from anyone anywhere (Remember, this is 1975 we're talking about) Our Branch leader was kind and a jewel, our twig was filled with love and compassion, and we learned that our needs would be met.

I was on the crew for my second pfal class, and had such a great time while doing that I decided to go WOW. WAS THAT A WRONG MOVE!

Wow training was before the Rock and I had nooooo money and less posessions. My son was a year old and got sick at Wow training. Had to ask for a pin with his name on it, '75 was the first year they let people with kids go Wow.

Left the field after 4 months as our branch leader was always on me to send my son home to Milwaukee, and I later found out that she was even

'younger in the Word' than I was!

Hated South Carolina, and in December the branch leader was the only member of our "Wow family' that was left.

Came home, got hooked up with a fellow I met at fellowship, got told by my twig leader that living with him was out of the question, that to live together was 'off the Word'! (In light of the sexual mis-conduct of everyone, I don't understand the meaning of this except to say that the world isn't the only place where there is a double standard). We got married after 5 weeks of courtship and I had son #2.

Was away from twi for the longest time because I just didn't have time while going to school and taking care of my kids.

Met and introduced husband #2 to the word. He took the class, and we moved to a small town in Northern Wisconsin where we had bought a shoe repair shop. Let it suffice to say that the 5 years we were there were as bad as the Wow 4 months were. Was in an abusive relationship with #2 and when I went for help from my branch leader he said that as a 'Woman of God' it was my job to do what my husband told me. By that time I was so beaten down, (literally and figureatively) that I just hunkered down and lived with it. Living in Fear is not pleasant.

Moved when we sold the store, back to southeastern WI, got rid of husband #2 and tried to get my life together.

Found a wonderful man, married 10 years now, and I am still learning to trust God and see what happens!

Kay

Kay1952

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Kay,

Thank you for your story. Living in fear is not what God meant. I am so very gratified that you got out of that situation!!!

I've seen the kind of abuse of women that is possible, and even encouraged in a TWI-like household, and it totally sucks. And this is from a guy's perspective.

Wishing you all the best!!!

Daryl J. Lamkey (aka ExWaDaryl)

Lives with his cat in Franklin Park, Illinois

I am glad that you are now out of the bad relationship and you are now happy.

Best wishes to you and your man of 10 years and may you have many happy healthy years ahead of you.

Have your sons adjusted to your new man?

I hope so and I hope that they have no scars from your past.