GreaseSpot Cafe

Master & Commander

Pirate1974

Don't wait to see this one on DVD. A spectacular movie that has to be seen on the big screen.

If there has ever been a more realistic movie made about what life was really like on a 19th-century sailing ship, I've never seen it. The battle scenes are amazing.

This an action movie, but not non-stop action so there's time to actually get to know the characters. It's an action movie actually made for adults, not teenage boys. Russell Crowe is excellent as the ship's captain.

Check it out.

This is one friggin LONG movie!!!! LONG lONG long.

Tell me this story could not have been told in ONE and a half hours--- instead of TWO and a half!!

Just another war story---just another way of telling the tale of how wonderful it is to fight and die for the 'mother' country.

We went to an afternoon movie-- I noticed that I was the only woman in that theatre.

Maybe it's a man thing?

The movie is accurate because it's based on a series of books that are EXTREMELY detailed and accurate... Patrick O'Brian has written 18-20 books about these characters, starting with the first time Jack Aubrey and Dr. Matchurin meet, and ending with Jack as an admiral. For 40+ years O'Brian has read ALL there is of British naval records, logbooks, etc. and put much of it into his books.

I've read and re-read this series for about six years now and was very excited but a bit nervous to hear they were making a movie. Thank goodness the director decided to put all that detail into the movie!! Good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...