GreaseSpot Cafe

What Is Truth

Really

What is THE truth?

I have noticed in my QUEStion, "What is Truth?" the answer the absolute remain silent those who proclaim to know "the truth", but can not prove what they herald forth to the world "TRUTH"... and so they send out missionnaries to proclaim "the truth" of which they can not prove and bring unto their selfs those to promote the same.

And some will say when Pilate asked this QUESTion of JC, and JC remained silent, that THE Truth was before Pilate.

interesting Pilate washed his hands

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if ya ever consider that Christianity is an Eastern religion, you will know that JC practiced such things as "the kingdom of God is within you", "if thine eye be single" and so forth many prominent prophetic claims and miracles as evidenced all culture an expecting messiah to deliver us from the unknown only known to those who really know who can justify their "sins" if ya accept one lord or another or the unknown god etc~~~

and those sent out to prove what they have no proof and then initiate into the inner secrets of those who don't know, but yet proclaim they do know The Truth

no wonder search a holy grail

Etymology: Middle English graal, from Middle French, bowl, grail, from Medieval Latin gradalis

1 : capitalized : the cup or platter used according to medieval legend by Christ at the Last Supper and thereafter the object of knightly quests

2 : the object of an extended or difficult quest

And then ya got the bleep and JZKNIGHT,

and those who take a fancy this this "cult" behind this extraordinary revealing of something no more different than TWI~~~

and so the sheep gather to try on the wolf fur?

well... hopefully one can return the merchandise, but i don't think twi accepts old wine skins... but yet if ya own a craftsman hand tool, no matter the reason return, ya can get another from sears...

oh sht that's the illuminada group

lindyhopper:

your comment:

Love does seem to be something we need, not for survival, but to live the happy lives we are acustom to.

I disagree, Lindy. I think we need love for survival. Of course, what one person terms a "happy life" and another person defines a "happy life" are two different things. Still, God's definition of love is one. Perfectly, God doesnt dispute anyones position to define happiness for themselves, hence; people who don't want his love under his definition are free to live without his love; and noticeably absent from his presence. This also fits Gods definition of love; for God doesnt force his will on anyone. He does however; "compell" them to come, for he knows the limitations of his creation-us.

Your comment:

If there is a god that truly is love, then he/she/it must be much more diverse, much more abstract, much more ambiguous than most Christians/Jews/Muslims paint God to be.

I cannot dispute the fact, that God's wisdom may at some point be more encompassing than closed end boxes which religion at some time can be. Neither can I limit, the instrument called the Bible, that it somehow doesnt speak volumes to all of this. Still, I find it unwise and useless to say that I must know all of this and how it works perfectly, in order to believe. Why? Because I am certain of enough. I have the earnest, the down payment, the token. I can't deny that that is truth.

Your comment:

As far as I can tell, truth is the moment. What we are each experiencing riht now. No wait...NOW.

Disagree totally Lindy. Your saying that we have the ability to absorb all the truth. I am limited. God is infinite. I cannot absorb all "truth" today; because I wasnt given the mental accumen with which to do it. The bridge is faith, which allows me trusting in what I can learn tommorrow. Everyone practices faith, Lindy, it just that not everyone practices faith in God.

Faith, to me, is simple interest in something or simple respect for someone.

sky4it~~~ do you beiieve the word of god is the will of god~~ ~ and The bridge is faith

what is faith

what is the bridge?

this is kewl to realisethinking of salvation is dependant upon gold leaf edges leather bounD books X eye

Good Night

PFAL will be held ARMSTRONG STATE UNIVERSITY COLLEGE '75

Patty Easton class co

Paul Gudgela assistant

oh my~~~

song:

your comment:

sky4it~~~ do you beiieve the word of god is the will of god~~ ~ and The bridge is faith

Like I said earlier, the term in TWI became an oxymoron for what were the interpetations of VPW and his mission- which unarguably left out the holy spirit, our guide into all truth.

By the way song, dont get to peaved at me for my post to you under the Job topic, I am just trying to make a point.

Faith? What did Jacob possess that Esau did not? Simple interest in God I think. God's promises seemed to have value to him.

Sky,

quote:
I disagree, Lindy.
quote:
Disagree totally Lindy.

Surprise surprise surprise!

Seeing that your answers are Bible-based and mine don't come from a "faith that I don't have, a reassurance I don't need."

quote:
I disagree, Lindy. I think we need love for survival.

You must be refering to a Godly love, right? Obviously, someon alone on a deserted island could still survise as long as they had resourses for food, shelter, and water. You must mean a Godly love...as in, "God so loved the world..etc". Or do you?

quote:
people who don't want his love under his definition are free to live without his love; and noticeably absent from his presence. This also fits Gods definition of love

yet they survive! Holy cow! no wait that's Hindu. I won't turn this into a debate over God, but I will say that I have never said that I think we need to know how all the mechanics work in order to believe in a God, just that those mechanisms exist.

quote:
Disagree totally Lindy. Your saying that we have the ability to absorb all the truth.

thank you for clearing that up for me. icon_wink.gif;)--> Actually, I wasn't saying that. I never imply that there is an "all truth" or that truth expands beyond our experience or comprehension, only that it exists in the moment.

I won't argue that we all practice some sort of faith, infact I have never said contrary. Actually, I believe I have said that numerous times myself. But it being a "bridge" that spans the "gap". Come on, twi had some good tricks to make us think that faith and believing were some sort of tangible proof. A title deed, even. The problem with this is that the whole point of faith is that it is just a belief, a hope of the intangible, the unproovable, the unknowable. It isn't as concrete as a bridge or a title deed. It doesn't span a gap. If it does you never reach the other side, at least not untill it jumps over and smacks us in the face. It is a mirage that you can't see untill you get there. Once your there it is either reality or more blind hope that keeps you walking on and on just over the horizon.

quote:
Faith, to me, is simple interest in something or simple respect for someone.

Nicely put. I have said something similar before. It is the faith that I practice every day.

lindy:

It's a circular arguement, to try and disprove God logically. I wont digress.

Read Renee DeCartes Proof of the Existance of God, "I think therefore I am", the most logical and mathematical philospher, who elloquently proved it. Otherwise my arguing to your converse is just problematic.

What is Truth?

Ya know, been a while for me sayin' anything. But this topic holds some possibilities. We were sold a smorgasbord of truth in TWI. I, for one, bought it. But what did truth consist of to WAYFER and would I buy it again, today?

Today? nope. Not at all. Some basic ideas about truth that we used to hold need to be examined. Like…

1. Why is truth a "What"? (I am familiar with the concept of a noun – before anyone starts to lecture me…? ) I mean could it not be some other type of noun and still be “truth”?

2. Did not Jesus give us a hint that he thought "it" was a "Whom"?? (Himself, to be precise)

3. And what about the idea of Source – You know… Where? If the Devil or God is the source of a statement - like "Thou shalt not surely die" - "Where" did Adam get his information? So we all sort of held the idea that truth had a lot to do about “where” it came from… so much so… that we bought into the MOGFOT idea far too easily (by the way that election God already voted – the winner for Man of God for All time was Jesus).

4. Then of course we have “When” – The correct administration of “truth”. All of a sudden “time” (which is NOT supposed to be an element of truth in almost all discussions about it) is included in the mix as to whether or not something is “true”. Yes? Keys to interpret the Bible, from Bullinger.

5. The Greatest Secret in the World Today, is that the Bible is the Revealed Word and Will of God…. (read – it is the ONLY source of truth). Too bad… I guess Jesus should have sent the printing press on the day of Pentecost instead of the spirit.

Nope… not buying that one anymore, either…TWOGITWOG. Too many holes in that puppy.

I don’t think we ought to be buying our truth or searching for it in pieces – like an ala-carte menu – or a train wreck... like we did for all those years in TWI. Bit by bit... we built a pile of _ _ _ _

The Way did not fail because VP could not keep his PP in Pants (A typical WOW admonition, BTW). And I do not mean to diminish the suffering of those who were victims... not at all.

It did not fail because LCM could only scream against homos and the RC church… nope. Not because he was the "Wrong" guy - either.

It failed because it was NOT the TRUTH.

We may have thought it was… I got some truth out of it… kept me from totally wasting my life on... on … whatever… - and for that - I am thankful to God - but it was not THE truth.

We gotta let truth change – because we are searchers … The DANGER exists when we think we got it figured out!!

As I sort through what I believe, I must adjust to the following…

Nothing real can be - threatened, and nothing unreal - exists.

too gray;

your comment:

We gotta let truth change – because we are searchers … The DANGER exists when we think we got it figured out!!

Your comment says a lot. Open endedness is terrific. Maybe thats why we need to seek and find on the basis of what we need to know. I agree completely.

Sky 4 - here is an example of what I mean by stretching and considering the framework of what I understand to be truth.

"Perfect love casts out fear"

So - if fear exists, then there is not perfect love.

No great revelation in that one - I think we all have considered that one before.

BUT BUT

What if Only perfect love exists in the kingdom of God (which is within)...

then if there is fear... it is produced by a state that porjects itself as an image... but in TRUTH does not exist.

So what is truth?? I would like to start by asking, how do we "choose" what we think is "true".

Think of Jesus walking on the water, and Peter too. Remember the story...? Fear and love met that night. And perfect love won. As it always will. Peter beheld perfect love and he beheld fear.

So for a while... there was no fear. We call it a miracle.

But was it really???

Wasn't it just truth having its way?

I think TWI gave fear a bad rap.

It isn't always bad, in and of itself. It is how you react. It hightens your senses to notice what is going on. I guess you could say that you either allow it to help you see the truth at times, or it blinds you of the truth. It depends on how you let it affect you.

Examples you ask? OK

The postage stamp. Not the ones you put on a letter, but a giant rock in the middle of the Gauley River. The Gauley River is a class 4-5 River. That means it can get scarey. Before one of the worst shoots, our guide asked if we wanted to do the postage stamp. He explained that it was a giant rock at the bottom of the run and if you hit it right the water would plaster our boat horizontally on the rock. Those on the high side would jump out onto the rock, while those on the low side would stand straight up against the now sideways raft. Once on the rock, the high side guys would grab the low side folks and pul them up and then we'd pull the boat up onto the rock. Then everyone around watching on the shore or down river would cheer.

This was a BIG rock with potentially big consiquences if you fell out. Like getting sucked into a small swireling shoot on the right and/or getting sucked down benieth huge undercut rocks, getting smashed against one of those rocks etc. etc..

There was fear. I noticed the rapids all around us, all the huge rocks, where you wouldn't want to go (not that you would have much choice, I listened for the guides calls/instructions more intensely, and did everything I could do individually as a team member to stay in that damn raft.

When we hit that rock the boat went skyward. Being on the high side I leaned back and jumped onto the top of the rock. On the low side there was my futute wife looking up at me with her arm stretched out toward me. With one arm on the raft I lifted her up five feet with one arm onto the rock. A feat I wouln't have been able to do. With everyone (but two that fell in) we lifted the raft onto the rock and the crowd went wild. We were one of two, out of 30 or more crews that tried it that day, to make it up.

Fear played a part in that addventure. It told me to hold up and think about this and make myself aware of the things going on around me. It gave me that spike of adrenaline to make it thru safely and to hoist my lady up and out of harms way. (So macho, LOL) But it was how I used that fear to my advantage that mattered most. If I did it again I would be afraid again, because you just don't know what might happen.

Fear paralized one of our crew members that day. Later on the video you could see how he paused when we hit that rock and that coused him to fall back into the water. He clung to the side of the raft untill he couldn't hold on anylonger. The force of the water was too great and he was to low for his partner to reach him. He went into the water on the worst side and was sucked under a rock and was shot 30 feet down river. He was shocked and startled and a little out of breath but he came out fine.

The truth was revealed in each moment as we were forced down the river. If we did what we knew we needed to do, we could do it...if we didn't, we couldn't. I don't know where love fits into these types of stories, other than I LOVE not falling in a raging river. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> I think most of the time in life fear is like what we experience that day. It is not about acting out of love or reacting knowing someone loves you, or someone yelling at you later for doing the wrong thing, or doing something or not doing something because if you don't they won't love you anymore or treat you the same way anymore. It is something that makes you think. Then it is up to you how you react to that fear. In that reaction is where the truth lies. The nice thing about that is if you don't like it you can change next time and the truth will change forever.

To try and prove any other truth will require more than guessing, hoping, postulating, and faith. For all those things are suspended untill the moment of truth arives. icon_cool.gif

agreed Lindy, I think there can be benefits to fear as well.

After doing some soul searching, what is my greatest fear? I would have to say the mouths of people. Interesting that both John the Babtist and Jesus called them a generation of snakes and vipers. What were they refering to? Gossip I think. There are more ways to kill a person than with a gun, you can slowly poison someone to death with your mouth.

A man I respect very much once confided in me to his own dismay and said, "Yah know, I just dont understand it in the church, this is wrong and thats wrong, but its just creamy cheese pie to discuss the life and habits of this person over there." I think he spoke volumes that day, to how we can wound people behind there back.

sky4it

posted October 17, 2004 16:51

your comment:

Like I said earlier, the term in TWI became an oxymoron for what were the interpetations of VPW and his mission- which unarguably left out the holy spirit, our guide into all truth.

By the way song, dont get to peaved at me for my post to you under the Job topic, I am just trying to make a point.

yo sky, forgive me your thought that i was peaved ~~~ surely you jest~~~ i also am trying to make a point>>>