GreaseSpot Cafe

DVD Writing Software

ChasUFarley

I don't think you can get Xcopy Platinum any more due to the litigation. DVD Shrink is still available as freeware. You need an external burning program like Nero, but DVD Shrink will re-compress DVD-9 movies to fit onto a DVD+/-R/RW 4.7GB disc. It will also let you ditch alternate language soundtracks, extras, etc. Works nice to make archival backups of your expensive storebought kids' movies so they don't scratch up the original DVDs.

Even on completely-full discs like the Lord of the Rings DVDs, it compresses down to 4.7GB extremely well. If you put them in one after the other and stand next to the screen, you can see the copy is a little bit "softer", but if you go sit back on the sofa, it's almost impossible to tell you're watching a recompressed video.

Plus, the copies are not copy-locked like DVD Xcopy, so if you break your original, you can still backup off the backup.

Are they copy locked, Zixar? I am not so sure. I will have to test it out. I suppose you are saying that if I burn another copy of a copy I made with DVD X copy it will not work?

I like burning extra copies of DVD's that I own so that I can have them near other DVD players in my house and also at my workplace DVD player in my computer at another location so I don't have to search all over for my ONE copy.

DVDShrink is 'da bomb!

I had not trouble locating online last night and got to save the movie to my hd, at least. Now I just need to get my hands on Nero. The DVD burning sw that came with my new computer is junk. I've blown most of it off and it amazes me how cryptic the interfaces of those programs are. I mean, I get around pretty good with sw - advanced MS user, etc., but I can't imagine how someone who's just starting out feels when they look at some of these... yikes!

Anyhow, I've located a free trial of Nero - I think I can get it from work for free anyhow, which is always nice...

Thanks again you guys! You always have the best advise!