GreaseSpot Cafe

Mozilla won't launch from Outlook Express

My3Cents

First I have to say it's kind of ironic that I get some of the best computer help from this forum. Thanks to all.

I have started using Mozilla (in large part due to many of your comments). It was/is working fine but when I clicked on a link in email (I use Outlook Express) the link would open in MyIE2 not Mozilla. So I removed MyIE2 and rebooted. Now when I click on that link - nothing!

Mozilla is my default browser.

Any ideas?

John - a Google search is one of the best sources for tech support these days. I found this:

Mozilla is cleaner and quite a bit faster than Internet Explorer. Other major advantages are tabbed browsing (window-in-window), excellent security, and superb popup blocking. It also remembers passwords [note] for you.

On top of that, Mozilla comes with an email client included. And the client has a good spam filter as well. It's a "Bayesian" spam filter, which means it's accurate and powerful, yet easy to use.

Mozilla Firefox (was Firebird) is the advanced development version of Mozilla. It is now "stable" enough (meaning no serious bugs remain) to use as your primary browser. It simply doesn't crash. Firefox is my default browser -- the one I use everyday. Making it the default keeps Internet Explorer from opening an email link or anything else without warning.

So you might want to switch from Outlook Express (which is no longer being updated or supported by Microsoft....they want you to use Outlook) to Mozillas email program.

Personally I like Outlook 2003. It is getting good reviews. Older versions of Outlook sucked. I am too lazy to try a new browser. I go along with the 95% IE crowd. But there are good reasons to switch as you did.

Your machine may still have ie as the "registered" program to open html doc's. To check this, find a web page that is saved on your computer, or save one to your desktop if you can't find one. If the icon shows the IE icon, then right click it, go to properties and on the general tab, look for "opens with:". Click the change button and change it to open with Mozilla.

Rick

I think it's Thunderbird that's the mail-widget

for FireFox.

Microsoft made a point of integrating IE and Outlook into its

operating system. That way, when you try and operate under

Adam Smith's invisible hand, and use a different browser or

mail-server, you can't be sure there isn't some sort of

connection to IE or Outlook or something.

Of course, now they're using this as an excuse against

releasing their systems with various "options"....

I recently found a program called SetBrowser that forces changes in the registry to assign the default browser - apparently it does it more strongly than Mozilla does when it sets itself as the default. So that's working now.

As for switching to Mozilla Mail or whatever it's called. Can you edit the subject line of an email after you've recieved it? I have a work around for doing that in OE and won't switch unless you can do it in the new one. THANKS