GreaseSpot Cafe

Thinking About New Computer - Asking For Help

krys

Hello all ye tekno-savy people!

Last time I upgraded to this one (3 years ago) you guys made suggestions that I followed....and I'm very pleased with the result. So I'm asking again.

Since this is 3 years old....I'm conscious of the hours it's been up and running, and thinking it could poop out in a heartbeat, hence the "need" to upgrade.

I want more speed...I'm running AMD Athlon about 1.2 GHz and 512 RAM.

I will be installing a web cam (for family use - and suggestions on this are great too). I want as much RAM as I can get I think. I use 2 graphics programs regularly, one for photos and one for needlework designing and the needlework one is "hefty" and a little sluggish on this one...and I will be upgrading that one so I'll need more "oomph".

I don't have a separate audio CD player, and I spend most of my time in the "office" anyway, so I'd like to use the computer for music since I tend to leave it on all the time anyway. I need an awesome sound quality (including speakers). My office is, however small (12X15) so I don't need to fill up a large room with sound...but I have a "tuned" music ear and little details are what I listen for in music.

I don't anticipate making DVD's, although it may be possible that will change (home movies of grandchildren)

I will be upgrading my monitor as well but at the moment, my "old" Viewsonic E95 is sufficient - so I can wait a few months for a flat screen...to save space, and I think I will be able to see it better. (I have 2 slow growing cataracts and glare is a big problem...but I need to wait a while to have them taken care of....Eye Dr's suggestion....now is not the time.)

I went to www.cyberpowerpc.com because I was so pleased with them last time...but I am totally in the dark now! I understand nothing...but what I'm looking for seems like a gaming machine to me....but I'm not a gamer!

Please help!?

Ironically,

pc gamers seem to be the home-users that want

the most "cutting-edge" computers, since they

want the most perfect audiovisual quality added

to the fastest microprocessors and most memory.

Personally, your pc looks fine for the things

I would use it for. I can't offer insight on

the things you're asking.

However,

pm me if you want to discuss cleaning up the

pc you've got and making it less likely to

roll over and die.

Even if it changes none of your plans, it would

be worth the time investment to make sure the

current machine works.

For everything else, the techies here will need

to speak.

It used to be here the Mac had a commanding lead in the graphics and design department. Not so much anymore, particularly if you have one of those 'gaming machines', since the resources/components that you would need for the graphics are all right there.

I think Wordwolf has given the soundest advice if its a 'need to do' case, as the machine you described should do very well for you for at least 2 more years. However, if you want to go ahead and upgrade, the prices/choices have never been better.

If you do, don't scrimp. Go ahead and spend that extra $$$ to keep your machine 'current' and powerful/effective enough to last you at least 4 years; ie., get more than enough HD space, memory, video card that does more than you need, built in ethernet connection even. Ask around from folks that you know and trust and get all the info to make a decision from.

Happy Hunting! icon_cool.gif

That is very good news! All I'll need to do is get some better speakers and I will get the new monitor now! May as well make life as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

Thank you all very much! See how good your collective advice was 3 years ago???

WordWolf, I'm on my way -consider yourself PT'd! I appreciate the offer too!

Krysilis -

Go for a new machine if you have some extra cash. Here is one I am looking at.

viviouspc.com

But I am waiting a while to let motherboards with the newer PCI Express become more prevalent.

Settle for no less than a modern 128mb graphics card. It is doubtful you will need one with 256mb unless you are a DOOM 3 fan.

There are only 2 worth choosing from ATI or Nvidia. I prefer Nvidia because there is less trouble with their drivers and their multi - monitor capabilities blows away ATI. See this picture.

Dual or triple monitors

Settle for no less than a Soundblaster Audigy 2 or 2zs card, and a GB of ram if you get a new computer. Prices are cheap these days.

And don't make your speakers a weak link. In your confined space you may only need a 2.1 system. The best 2.1 system today is made by Klipsch, available at Best Buy.

Speaking of monitors, don't be fooled by the flat ones. They are cool indeed. But the fact is you can get better quality for less price in a high end CRT monitor. The flat ones are getting better and cheaper, however. A lot of it depends on your environment and space. As a dual monitor user I like the flat ones for another reason. The bezel is smaller, creating less of a gap where the monitors meet. Problem is, the two I want cost $1,000 each!

Oh, and one other thing. Unless you really need it or downright WANT it, go with a corded mouse and keyboard, not cordless. Far less problems in general. Get the same brand of each. I prefer Microsoft over Logitech, the only two brands worth choosing from.

Have fun.

I vote Mac...we had a PC for 13 years and I grew up with a programmer for a Dad....Last year we got a Mac..OS10 Panther---love it...would never go back....plus they haave not made a virus that can get a Mac yet!

and I also love our cordless mouse ...with both righty and lefty in the house it is NICE.

also check:

www.cnet.com

for reviews

washingtonweather