GreaseSpot Cafe

Windows 98 Won't Shutdown

waterbuffalo

Does anyone else have this problem who is running Windows 98? More than half the time, it won't shutdown. Someone at Gateway told me that was a glitch in Windows 98 and said to just hit ctrl+alt+delete when it won't and that would do it. Doesn't work.

Does anyone else know how to fix this or set something so it doesn't happen almost everytime?

We occasionally have that problem. It used to be worse.

What I ended up doing was going into the Task Viewer - you hit control-alt-delete and click on task list.

I would then click on processes I didn't recognize and click "end task".

After a few of those were stopped, I would then be able to shut down the machine.

Steve! thanks!

When I hit ctrl+alt+delete, I got a list of something but nothing that said "task viewer." Anyway, my list after Internet Explorer in the screen looks like this:

Rundll

Pcclient

Pcciomon

Systray

Wtoolsa

Wsup

Pib

Tbps

Pccguide

Do you have any idea what these things are? There is a Rundll one listed in the startup classified file link that you told us about but I couldn't find the others.

Okay, wtoolsa and wsup are spyware. They may be the cause of your problem.

I'm not sure about Tbps, Pccguide, pcclient, or pcciomon.

To get rid of wtoolsa and wsup, you have to start up in secure mode - after you shut down, start back up, but keep hitting the F8 key until you get a screen that has 3 or 4 things listed, one of which will be "Start Windows in secure mode".

Then you have to find wtoolsa.exe and wtoolsb.dll and delete them. You can find them by clicking on the Start key, then "find", and start the search at c:.

Then you have to go into "settings", "contol panel" and uninstall wtoolsa and anything else that doesn't look right.

Then restart. Once you're all the way up and running, get the list again. wtoolsa and wsup should be gone. You probably won't see rundll either.

Let me know how it goes!

Steve!

I found and deleted wtoolsa.exe and wtoolsb.dll.

Could not find them in the control panel (looked in add/remove programs mainly).

Also, when I rebooted a window popped up named PPclean with a message that said "PPclean is killing pests. Do not be alarmed." Is this spyware?

Also, I found Rundll in Windows Explorer and started to delete it but it said there was a Program attached to it that would not run if deleted so I didn't.

How do I find wtoolsa.exe and wtoolsb.dll in the control panel?

Thanks for your help!! My computer now has around 80% freed space as opposed to 62% a few days ago.

Steve,

The two "w" bugs are gone now. I checked properties on rundll and rundll32 and they are microsoft programs so I didn't delete them for now. Then I did a google search and read about them here:

MS Rundll and Rundll32

Apparently these are installed on Windows NT and 95/98.

Are you sure I should delete these?

I never said to delete rundll or rundll323.

I said that you should try stopping rundll - use the "end task" button - if you have no programs running.

Of course, that rundll might be running your virusscan or something.

But rundll is also used to run spyware and trojan horses.

So no, don't delete it - try stopping it and see what happens.

And try a few shutdowns/startups.

Steve!

I.O.U. a steak dinner! My computer shutdown twice really fast after I did what you suggested (shutdown all programs, did ctrl+alt+delete, selected rundll, clicked the end task button). Voila!

Thank you Ten Zillion times Steve!!!

I now have 88% free and my computer hasn't run this good since I first bought it. Thank u, Thank u, Thank u, Thank u.

YOU the man!!!!!

Waterbuffalo,

Seriously consider getting a new computer when you can. Windows 98 is ancient by now if you can believe it along with the hardware that it usually runs on.

XP is so far advanced than 98. You are missing out on a lot of goodies not to mention speed and productivity. Todays hardware is much faster too including graphics, processors, USB2 functionality, and multimedia. And talk about cheap prices! You might still be able to use your monitor if it is a good one and at least 17". Everything else is all but obsolete on 98 machines in my opinion when comparing to todays hardware.

Edited by igotout

Likewise, I would be suspect of that too good to be true deal. Try Best Buy. If your budget is a little bigger try Dell. DO NOT UPGRADE. Best thing you can do with your current system is throw it away or give it away. That's how far and fast things have advanced. Long story.

Personally I like building a custom one so I get what I want (latest and greatest) instead of generic.

Just make sure it is a mainstream brand and you should be ok. As Word Wolf says, it is the XP operating system and the more powerful chip, motherboard and hard drive that will make it like a super computer compared to ancient Windows 98 and ancient hardware.