GreaseSpot Cafe

changing operating systems

HAPe4me

I am taking over a PC that my son has abandoned in favor of a mac platform for his professional graphics work. I have decided to start over with a new harddrive and at the same time go from Win 98 to XP. (this will enable me to use the old harddrives from it for data storage and on another computer.) I prefer to do a clean install of XP, as we tried to upgrade to XP on it before and had some issues. This has brought several questions to mind, as it has been a few years since I have done major upgrades to any of our machines.

Since I still have the (currently unused) XP upgrade CD and folder, I intend to use it, but it does not have the SP2 upgrades. I have read about a procedure called "slipstreaming" where one integrates a downloaded SP2 with the original XP install CD and burns a new install CD. anyone done this? is it particularly beneficial over just installing XP and then downloading SP2?

The machine configuration is this:

MB= Asus K7V (slotA)

chipset VIA 82C691 rev 2

CPU AMD Athlon 750 mhz (max 800)

RAM= 256 MB (PC133)

Video= (onboard disabled)

Current Video= ATI Rage Fury Maxx 64

New video= NVidia GeForce FX 5500 128MB (BFG Tech)

New HD= Maxtor 120GB 7200 w/8MB cache

Does anyone have a link to a good step by step guide for this upgrade?

Will I need to reinstall the Via 4in1 drivers, and other motherboard drivers?

Does the XP CD handle everything and tell me when to do what?

After installing/ formatting/ partitioning the new harddrive, should I physically install the new video card before installing XP, or install XP first and then put in the video card.?

How about the other peripherals? (Printer/scanner, Scuzzi Zip, CDRW)

Thanks for inputs, I've done this type of thing before, and am somewhat familiar, but not with XP, and not in a few years.

~HAP

If the onboard video card works use that and install the Nvidia card after XP is installed.

In fact, install any external devices after you have done the service pack 2 update. (all the latest drivers will be there then and you won't have double work.

Here is the link to a step by step guide of slipstreaming:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/w...sp2-bootcd.html

You will do a clean install of XP and since it is an upgrade, you will be asked to provide the Win98 disk as proof, so have that handy.

Hope this gets you going.

thanks paw, yes I knew to have the Win 98 disk ready. (And perhaps the Win 95 too since my 98 was also an upgrade.)

thanks for the idea about the onboard video. I can switch it on. I've never used it, but it should work.

any ideas on whether it is worth slipstreaming SP2 into the install??

~HAP

The slip-streaming sounds like more work than benifit, unless you're planning on doing multiple computers.

I would download SP2 prior to your install, burn it on a CD, install XP without the PC attached to the Internet, install SP2.

After SP2, run Windows Update and get the remaining patches.

ok, thanks, the "more work" aspect was kinda my impression. If there is not great improvement in the way it installs, I will probably bypass doing it. One site I read mentioned it avoids installing unnecessary files, but its not like HD space is an issue for me.

Bob, I well understand the idea of doing it to see if it works, I'd do it myself for that reason, if I didn't have a billion other things to do. Maybe next time.

~HAP

Not sure why you say to remove the video card Paw. Just curious. Probably a good reason but my (limited) experience is to leave everything in and just allow XP to discover the devices. It does a pretty good job of it usually. Hmmm.

But after install, go to Nvidia's site and download the latest drivers. It is so easy these days. It is a simple file you download for all cards. You just click on it and it self installs.

If it were me I would do all the Windows updates including service Pack 2 and as a final step go in search of the latest drivers for that Nvidia Card. Also I would go to Asus site and see if there is a BIOS upgrade for that board. Again a pretty simple install these days.

It appears to me that your weakest link is 256MB Ram. Increase to 512 at a minimum. It is the best upgrade you can do for the cheapest price. I am highly in favor of formatting that drive. Wipe it clean before installing XP. Partitioning it is a good idea too. Use the partition for storage, etc.

Another cheap but awesome upgrade is to get a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 card and a good set of speakers with a subwoofer. Go to Best Buy. I recommend Klipsh or Logitech. You don't know what you are missing without taking advantage of the audio available out there these days. My new one will have 5 speakers and a sub, enough to rattle the windows. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Another thing to consider is the power supply. Is it big enough to supply all the juice you need without a strain? A 350 or 400 Watt power supply is a cheap piece of hardware and easy to install before you upgrade. (My next computer contains a 550 Watt one!) But it can be a real problem to install AFTER you upgrade. there are dozens of choices out there and again Best Buy usually has a good one for a reasonable price.

After you have this nice fresh installation please protect yourself against Spyware which is todays most destructive pest out there, even worse than viruses. But it is possible to be totally immune from spyware.

Have fun.

You are right paw, the video card is new, the XP is old. I suppose if I can't switch the onboard video on, I could leave the old Rage Fury maxx card in, but I am suspicious of that card being the source of some puter freezes.

Igot- the memory has already been added, I forgot to mention it. I am running 512 now.

The hard drive (120GB) is also new, and so yes it will be formatted for a clean install, and partitioned.

The machine has a SB LIVE audio, and is quite adequate for my needs. I will leave it out until after I am up and running, as well as the printer and Zip.

I have checked for a new bios, and I am running the latest for it. Thaks for the suggestion.

We'll see if I can get it done this weekend. If all else fails, I always have this old reliable 333mhz, that is very stable, to come and whine.

~HAP

In my experience you always need 2 computers (at least) that can access the internet. That way when you have problems with one, you can do research, download files etc. from the other.

God help you if you have a dead machine and the only help you can access is through a telephone to tech support.