GreaseSpot Cafe

Anyone using LightScribe?

socks

Do you have a link? I sure like the name. Don't burn too many CD's these days. But am definitely getting into burning DVD's (for my own personal usage of course).

Could it be that we are seeing the beginning of the end of CD burning? I see less and less burning these days with my teens and others including myself.

I-Pod and similar products are all the rage. No CD needed.

MP3's just seem so much more convenient.

Won't be long before you just plug a small unit into you car stereo dashboard and listen to gigs of MP3's.

Maybe with those popular USB keys.

And it is already possible to listen to your computer MP3 collection over your home stereo via Squeezeboz and other devices.

I'll bet TV's and Amplifiers of the not to distant future will come with Ethernet hookups in the back.

I think someday soon we will be saying goodbye to CD burning but not so fast to purchased CD's.

What do you think, Socks.

Miss you guys.

Oh, and btw, saw Rodger Sayah's guys doing a floor yesterday. Still out there doing that business.

What do you think of this little site I did. A friend helped me with the artsy part of it because he has a knack. Neither of us have had any training or experience other than just using Front Page on our own and doing stuff ourselves. Always appreciate your suggestions.

7rh Corps Website

Here's their site John - LightScribe

Hey, nice site. Like the look. Good job. Isn't it crazy? Here you go and get this site up and have all this potential for communication and information and recreation and it's great. It's really a world wide outreach mechanism, the internet. I really can't understand how the Way can drag it's heels so when it comes to using the internet. If we'd had it years ago, don't you think it would have been used extensively? Dunno. Basically, they're selfish and stupid, but that's not news.

We've got some old photos you'd get a kick out of. Have to get to it and scan some of those puppies in and shoot them to you.

We've seen Rodger and Terry a couple times out here over the last few years. Great folks, glad they're still doing so wonderfully. No surprise there.

I think you're right. As all of the various technologies grow and develop we'll have simpler and more options to choose from. Thankfully there's more compatibility being figured in. That's the key I think - everything ultimately working with everything else.

I'm probably still good for some portable media forms. CD's work well. I like the idea of having a couple forms of storing and transporting stuff. I'm narrowing everything down to CD and/or IPod or other portable storage devices.

I've tried printing labels but it's a little clunky. LightScribe will, apparently, print right to an "enabled" CD so you burn the CD, flip it over and print your label index, etc. right then. It sounds cool, but I'm just starting to look at it. Let me know what you think if you check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. I just checked it out at a Comp USA nearby and it looks like a great idea. I'm in the process of trying to get my CD and tapes organized, and have gone the route of putting all my CD's in binders. It's been traumatic, particularly labelling the ones I've made with the print labels. Lightscribe seems to get good, clear results and simple "elegant" label indexes come out really nice. I think Lightscribe is the way to go at this point, although it would mean reburning most of my personal CD's. Not sure if I want to do that. But I could use it for new ones.....pondering.....

My family shares a lot of pictures on CD's. My daughter is very talented when it comes to designing them. She's able to use all the fancy features of some of the higher end photo programs.

She's commemorated several family events this way. Any time I get a CD from her I know I'm in for a treat, but the labels do look "tacky" compared to the data on them. What a great idea this would be to polish off an already wonderful gift!