GreaseSpot Cafe

SAVED!

Hope R.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was one of the funniest and most insightful movies I have seen in a long time. I highly recommend it.

I will warn you that if you are easily offended, take yourself or your religion, in this case Christianity too seriously, you should not see the movie.

my daughter, who works in a theatre saw it, and loved it,

I am going THURSDAY,,,,,,with the pastors wife even!!!

thinking its going to be good from what I have read and heard,,,,,so no comment YET.

I am NOT one to comment and have an opinion UNTIL I have seen it, BUT

I do suggest, you that are of such powers, move this forum to the movie thread.

1searcher did you know there was a forum just for movies, books and humor???

thanks,

suz

I saw it with my boyfriend Shannon and he said that that was how his baptist upbringing in a christian school was like. It was funny because I see so many of the points about christians that I don't like being humarized.

It was like when I was in school even though k-8 was while I was in the way. Even living at HQ, I still went to public school and it was "normal".

But the movie is funny and if people take their religion to seriously, do not see it.

Nope -- haven't seen it or (to tell the tuth), even heard of it.

quote:
I will warn you that if you are easily offended, take yourself or your religion, in this case Christianity too seriously, you should not see the movie.

Sounds like the video version of GSCafe!! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I'll have to check it out. icon_smile.gif:)-->

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this post goes here or maybe more appropriately in Doctrinal, or even Politics. Perhaps suz (or anyone else with an equally impeccable sense of proper placement) can clue me in and point me in the direction of the "correct" category. I'd sure hate for any intelligent adult to become discombobulated, disoriented, or dyslexic while in pursuit of a topic of interest to her, or (the horror) stumble upon an incorrectly located controversial opinion. But I did see the movie, and, yes, it was funny and insightful. So I guess I'll start out here.

The movie took me way back to my (public) high school days, when I first heard of The Way, when I was searching so hard to find the goodness that seemed to also elude the young, well-meaning protagonist in this movie. In fact, I could so identify with the main character that it brought tears to my eyes, so much so that I had to slip into my sunglasses during the final credits to escape out of the theater (at night) undetected. Everyone else was still laughing. This is a comedy, after all.

As far as satires go, this one is very tame, poking gentle fun at a "fundamentalist" mindset. But what it seems to really poke fun at is the concept that morality might be a component of spirituality -- the belief that virtue brings us any closer to God. Does it? As much as I may have believed at one time that the only law that constrained me was the "law of love," even that law seemed laden with restrictions.

I recently heard Thoreau quoted as saying: "Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something."

I'd like to believe that, but then I wonder about the consequences (mostly social) of disregarding moral law. In the movie, it all worked out okay after the main character became pregnant in high school (believing she was helping to redeem her homosexual friend by seducing him), because her friends were ultimately transformed, and became a haven of "love and acceptance."

So, anyway, are truth, goodness, morality, love, acceptance, and God all intertwined? How?