GreaseSpot Cafe

The Gospel of John

waterbuffalo

They should make a movie on John the Babtist. He must have been the fiestiest man ever. Maybe what were doing in hear after all isnt to bad. I have yet hear some one sound off and call everyone a generation of vipers and warn them to flee from wrath. Who knows maybe the approbriate moment will come?

I intend to see it. it was actually in the theaters here. Incidentally, there was a movie based on the Gospel of Luke. It's commonly known as "The Jesus Film". I heard much hubbub about it and its use in evangelism, witnessed the same in Africa (it seemed really effective), but I thought the movie was very weak. Very weak.

I can't imagine topping The Passion. Brilliant.

Next favorite would be Zefferelli's Jesus of Nazareth.

One of the most psychotic depictions of John the Baptist (along with a most Jewish-looking Jesus) that I've ever encountered was in the 1980 film, "The Passover Plot", based on Hugh Schonfield's book. Picked it out of a bargain bin a few years ago. It also features Donald Pleasance as Pontius Pilate, popping grapes in his mouth as he's passing sentence on Jesus. It's a keeper.

While on the topic of movies based on particular gospels, has anyone ever seen "The Gospel According to Saint Matthew", a 60s flick by a communist Italian director? It must have been entirely filmed in Italy. It had quite an interesting soundtrack, a mix of classical music and African sounding singers. I think they used local villagers (not professional actors) to play the disciples. Actually, some of them looked rather retarded. It's a very unusual film.

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

No, Dan, but I saw The Gospel According to Matthew and it was GREAT. My friends and I just call it the film about the "happy" Jesus because the person who played him was so light hearted and happy most of the time.

Also, to answer my own question, we saw the Jesus flick in question...according to John...and it was very good and definitely worth renting. It's on 2 CDs so we broke it up over 2 nights and enjoyed it very much.