GreaseSpot Cafe

realistic expectations w/kids

smurfette

When my oldest was only 9 months (he's close to 30 now), I went to a Sunday night hook-up. Of course it was required, along with the baby. No babysitters for twi'ers, the children had to hear the Word no matter how young. Well part of the way through the meeting (before the hook-up the was the usual prayer, songs, then after another teaching by the branch leader (unmarried, childless, male corp grad). He got tired and hungry (I didn't expect the meeting to last so long and only had a bottle for him, not a meal). We went to a bedroom of the house so the others weren't disturbed. After the meeting, the branch leader came up to me and told me that I had to get my child "into subjection" so he'd act better. Then I asked him, "Since you've learned much more in the corp about this than I've learned, could you tell me how to get a tired, hungry 9 month old into subjection?" (Don't remember my tone of voice: whether in ernest or sarcastic) icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> Anyway, he didn't answer, just walked away.

Good come back, moony!

Were any of you told that the proper time to begin using the wooden spoon was when the baby began crawling? I was, but didn't do it. One kid crawlded at 6 months!

I often felt children were seen as adrain on the ministry, until they were old enough to take classes.

We were reproved for having kids close together in age. I guess it was ministry business!

Bramble, I was told much younger than crawling. Maybe 2-3 months, and maybe with a flick or light slap with the hand first. There are so many ways to discipline/train a child besides inflicting pain.

I remember having a couple leadership's kids, elementary school age, in my home when I was doing housework. They reprovedme for (a) not folding my bath towels in the one and only proper, logical and appropriate manner, and (b) not placing the fitted bottom sheet on my bed in the correct manner, which for those of you who are also unenlightened, is bottom right corner, then upper left corner, then lower left corner, then upper right corner. At the time, I was somewhat bemused by their insistence, as well as slightly irritated at being corrected by an 8 and a 10 year old.

Now, I realize they just little waybots in training, and how sad it is that their little minds were filled with such nonsense at such an early age.

WG

outintexas:

"I think it was in CF&S that vpw said about children... "have 'em by the barrellful!"

We had three. We were treated like we had too many."

Psalm 127:

4As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

5Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

So sayeth The Word of God.

:-)