GreaseSpot Cafe

The Curse of the Bambino Awaits...Again

Hills Bro

I must say, Red Sox fans sure are loyal. Often obnoxious, but the most loyal fans that I have seen in professional sports. I went to a game in Oakland towards the end of the season, A's versus Red Sox. In the last inning or so Red Sox fans actually gave Trot Nixon, a player coming off the injured list who has perhaps never made the All-Star team, a standing ovation. This was in Oakland mind you. I think the Red Sox have a chance against New York. I am going to go out on a limb and pick them over the Yankees. However, for the World Series the curse of the Bambino must continue. St. Louis Cardinals over the Red Sox four games to two is my guess.

quote:
The Sox will fold again to the Yanks

Not this year, all New England and Red Sox Nation have been waiting for this moment since Aaron Boones 11th inning abberation last autumn...in fact the Boston Herald this past week even had a front page headline "Go Yanks"

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Edited by mstar1

The Curse of Happy Jack!

Is it a coincidence that today, as the Sox and Yanks size each other up for the ALCS, is the 100th Anniversary of the NY team choking in the final series against Boston? I think not!

from this site

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was October 10, 1904, the last day of the regular season, when Jack Chesbro walked to the Highlander mound for his 42nd victory with only 11 losses. New York needed to sweep a doubleheader with the first place Boston Pilgrims for the pennant, and had Chesbro ready for Game One. New York had led the league through much of the season, but Boston had squirted one and a half games ahead going into the final two games. Jack was one of the great spitball pitchers of the time, and his opponent was 20-game winner Bill Dinneen. With Chesbro on the mound the hometown Highlanders were confident they had the first game in the bag.

In the top of the ninth with the score even at 2-2, Boston was able to get a man to third with two outs. Spitballer Chesbro's next delivery suddenly sailed over the head of catcher Red Kleinow allowing the winning run. New York failed to score, and the Pilgrims now had the pennant. The Highlanders won the meaningless second game 1-0.

That wild pitch haunted Chesbro the rest of his life, and for years his wife unsuccessfully campaigned to have the scorer's call changed from wild pitch to passed ball.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a fact -- the New York nine are always October chokers when playing Boston for the A.L. pennant in a year ending with "04"!