GreaseSpot Cafe

Is it too Early to start Trash Talkin.

Hills Bro

quote:
"Whoever signs Pedro will overpay. He is a No. 2 or 3 starter who will insist on and get No. 1 money. The Red Sox have already reportedly offered him 27.5 million for two years, yet he is a six or seven inning pitcher with wildly erratic stuff. From start to start you never know which Pedro you'll get." -- Kevin Hench, FOXSports.com

"His act wouldn't work here, George. Those jags he goes on when he won't speak to the press, when he won't come to the ballpark on time, when he leaves the stadium early . . . all that stuff was tolerated in Boston. That's who the Red Sox are." -- Mike Vaccaro, New York Post

"A Martinez departure wouldn't lead to mourning on Yawkey Way. Many in the organization have been fed up by his late arrivals, a frequent diva attitude, mood swings and his thin skin when it comes to dealing with criticism. Should he depart, the team would not have to worry about having the payroll flexibility to sign free agent Carl Pavano, who is schedule to visit tomorrow." -- Jeff Horrigan, Boston Herald

If the Steinbrenner wants to spend $60mil over 4 years for a good pitcher who is past his prime ( again), and lay out god knows how much for a .280 hitter-- more power to him. I would think by now he would have learned his lesson that all the money in the World can buy players but it cannot buy a T E A M.

Thats the thing that works around these parts.

...WE INTERRUPT THIS POST TO BRING A MESSAGE TO ALL MLB FREE AGENTS CONSIDERING LEAVING OR COMING TO BOSTON

3_troph_BDD.jpg

Any Questions?

Steve!

Its a little early to be giving up already isn't it? Spring training is still months away. Baseball, if nothing else, is about hope when there is no hope, at least try to last until June before you cash it in....anything can happen--

I'm waiting for the shortstop shuffle, this should be interesting, how many are free agents about 10 of 'em? Catchers too.

The off seasons are almost as exciting as the seasons anymore (well not quite - but it builds anticipation)

The Cubs were in it in 'til what? The last week?

Anything and I mean anything can happen in a week in baseball, or weren't you watching when

The World Champion Boston Red Sox (Dam I still love to say that),

were down 0-3 and down in the ninth inning of the fourth game against the best reliever in baseball just a few weeks ago?

Its not lost until you play em--Anything can happen in baseball.

Anything

MEANWHILE BACK ON THE PEDRO WATCH:

(from todays NYPost)

1118post.jpg

Seems 72.3 percent of Yankee fans polled would rather live in hell than have Pedro in Stripes--

...but they havent counted the electoral votes yet-

Pedro wants four years, but at this point in his career, it would be a very risky use of capital. He has been fragile for quite afew years. Although still better than average he is not the pitcher that he once was. Still if he is to go, all i could do would be to say thanks for 7 of the best pitching years I have ever seen out of any pitcher.

There are already eyes on Carl Pavano (interestingly enough the guy the Sox traded to get Pedro in the late 90's)who went 18-8 with about a 3.00 ERA for the Marlins. He has said he wants Schilling as a mentor and to come to the Sox. He visited the Schillings and had a powwow with Curt for several hours yesterday.

Where's Simon? and Strange and the other baseball folk? and were did HillsBro go?

I hope he's not choking somewhere icon_cool.gif on the curse of A-Rod....

icon_wink.gif;)-->

I just found this linkin a Dominican paper(hope it works) where the Godfather of Dominican baseball Juan Marichal has told Pedro to stay put in Boston or the Dominicans will hate him.....

we'll see