GreaseSpot Cafe

Are you a news junkie??

outofdafog

You know lately it seems that I can't soak up enough "earthly knowledge". It is like everyone "in the world" knew so much more than I because my head was buried in the "sands of TWI" for the bulk of my adulthood.

I had no idea why I hated the Catholic church, other than the fact I had been "programmed by TWI" to hate them. Actually in coversations since the pope's death, I learned that the word "catholic" meansUniversal. In some ways you could say that every denomination stems from catholicism.

But this post is just not about the catholic religion. It is just like my mind is like a sponge wanting to learn about new and different things. I am not afraid so much now to "think out of the box". Wow, every day I see more and more of how TWI had me full of fear of thinking for myself. It is really scary to think about now.

It is like there are issues that the whole world is and were dealing with and we were not allowed to consider any other type of thinking or believing.

FOX FAN (I lean slightly to the right, but try to remain moderate in all things)

One of the greatest liberating factors in recovering from the twi experience is seeking out new fields of knowledge. I highly recommend that all extwiers, recently out...pursue after knowledge! Go back to college, start a new business, take some online classes in specialized fields...pick up the dreams that you put "on hold" when you went into twi and pursue them again. I know folks who went back to college in their mid thirties, after leaving twi...so you get your degree at an older age...so what? Do not get hung up on the idea that it's "too late" to do what you should have done when you were younger...IT's NOT TOO LATE TO START OVER...begin at square one, if you have to...it's well worth the effort.

I've learned so much just in my short time out of TWI. I've also learned how absolutely insulated we were to the "real world" despite living and working in it. I have had my eyes opened to so many other schools of thought, so much theory, so much more knowledge and learning about the Bible, other religions, etc.

I feel like a kid again. I also feel so stupid and so far behind intelligently from my co-workers and friends.

I hear ya, outofdafog - - my brain has been the same way for the past 10-15 years.

And I did the same thing as Def - - went back to school to finish an unfinished Bachelor degree and hope to start an accelerated Executive Masters program soon!

So keep soaking it up - - the more you do, the less Waybrained you'll become!!!! And that's the GOOD NEWS!

J.

I'm a news junkie but I also o.d. from time-to-time...

I listen to NPR more than I watch TV, but then I mostly "listen" to TV - I only watch movies, documentaries, concerts, etc. And of course, American Idol!

I have a small business that I work at during the evenings, on the computer in the family room. Hubby is a big Fox News junkie (I always say that Ann Coulter is his fantasy mistress!) So, I end up hearing about current events for hours on-end. I can say I am ready for the coverage of the Wack-o Jack-o trial to be over!

The TWI I was a part of wasn't into us not watching the news - but we just never had time for it. For the majority of the time I was in we didn't even have a TV - which was fine with me. I'm more into the radio, anyhow. We weren't in some info-bubble but I was still shattered to find out Michael Hutchins* (INXS) had been dead for several years when I got out - what a pity!

*If you're a child of the 80's, like I am, this will mean something to you...

Oak, I worked for a newspaper during some of my TWI days, too! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> (Advertising - I was not one of the princely reporters either wink2.gif;)--> )

It was my job to read the papers every day so I knew what was going on and could talk to my customers about it. I loved it! Come into the office....cuppa coffee.....an hour or so in the papers....SO NICE!

I also put together all the news clippings every time we had a class running - remember how we documented everything "news-worthy" going on during each class and how upset we were making the debbil?