GreaseSpot Cafe

Being "in"......ain't what it used to be

skyrider

quote:
Regarding the "where will we go" question. That's the same argument I got from my ex. Of course, suggesting CES or CFF or any other "offshoot" was out of the question...nevermind the fact that they are closer to what he was wanting to have in TWI.

Good gawd - I can't imagine thinking about where to go when leaving TWI - just getting out of that hellhole was all the going I needed to do... Going somewhere else or getting involved with another cult was the last thing on my mind.

Besides, I've always had a problem with how TWI and some of these off-shoots think they're what I call "Daddy's favorite"... Sorry, but I don't think that's for them to decide and my Bible says God doesn't play favorites with the faithful.

Just my opinion and observation: being'IN' means you came from a rich and wealthy background. The only one's in the inner circle were those who came from 'rich and wealthy' families.

Everyone else may have perceived they were in, but were actually used for work or entertainment.

When I left TWI, a very rich girl left, too. I think her loss was more felt than mine, but lo and behold that was in the early '80s! Then all hell really broke loose!

It's mostly agreed-upon here that, with vpw at the helm,

you pretty much had a free ride at twi if:

-you had a title like a PhD

-you were famous, like on a sports team

-you were a military officer

-you had money

-you held a public office

-you were influential in your local community

-you were in the immediate family of one of the above

You WERE expected, at some point, to have a visible presence in twi,

at the very least, be willing to be "name-dropped" often.

Some people still seem unable to imagine that others' lives were destroyed

while they and their family were treated quite nicely.

Looks like you've figured out something they haven't.

quote:
Everyone else may have perceived they were in, but were actually used for work or entertainment.

Ain't that the truth! I remember we had a new couple at fellowship once and they were telling us that they had left their church because they were always being asked to "volunteer" or help with something and so they never had any time.

We were sitting there telling them how awful it is that churches are like that and that they use and abuse the giving nature of the congregants. They commented on how small our home fellowship was and asked about the "volunteer" opportunities within TWI. They caught on real quick that we weren't really any different and so we never saw them again.

It's funny how we spent so much time doing things for TWI and were tired so much of the time, but kept plugging along because we thought we were oh so spirtual. My ex and I asked for three years to be able to step down from being assistant hfcs, banghead.gif but were always given some reason why they really needed us and continued to take our time. It took my big mouth getting us in trouble for them to decide that maybe we needed to take a break from being assistants. No S H ! T, Sherlock!! How absolutely brilliant they are! icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->