GreaseSpot Cafe

Inside a Cult...this next Tuesday on Dr Phil

CoolWaters

Regarding the college issue:

I oh so clearly remember The Reverend Mr. Margindale having a **** hemorrhage about people saving money for their children to go to college. He required of his followers that if their child was to get education beyond high school, it be paid for by full scholarship! No college loans, no saving money, no expensive education. "If you think you want to go to medical school and be a doctor, CHANGE YOUR MIND!" he shouted. He went on to explain that there are plenty of doctors in this world, and most people just go to medical school because they want to be a physician and make tons of money, rather than putting God first in their lives and serving His Ministry.

So the Man Of God For This Day and Time and Hour did most certainly throw a few barriers in the path of those who wanted to be college bound. It was looked upon as egotistical, selfish and unwise to want to spend money on a college education. In fact, it was all but forbidden. A FULL 100% paid scholarship must be awarded to any TWI who wished to go to college. No low interest college loans, not one dime was to be spent that had to be paid back. And NO saving money to send your kid to college. Send them Way Disciple, send them in The Way Corps instead! Think of how much better equipped to live a more than abundant life they will be after THAT education!

This was somewhat different than in the earlier days, when there were a lot of people to be won over to TWI on college campuses and VPW encouraged college attendance.

But I do distinctly remember LCM's opposition to it, and his scorn for those who wanted to go to something like medical school. (And I could go on and on about THAT, but I won't bother).

WG

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
I oh so clearly remember The Reverend Mr. Margindale having a **** hemorrhage about people saving money for their children to go to college. He required of his followers that if their child was to get education beyond high school, it be paid for by full scholarship!

and

quote:
In fact, it was all but forbidden. A FULL 100% paid scholarship must be awarded to any TWI who wished to go to college.

Now just stop and think about the contradiction that Loy was spouting. Either A) you shouldn't go to college, or B) you shouldn't save up/get a loan for the money to go to college. Ummm, can't be both, ... right? From what I see here is that Loy was playing the "bleed the world for the money to go to college, and don't pay for it yourself, and make DAMN sure that you don't get a loan for it!" card, rather than the avoidance of college point blank.

By the way, I also remember him teaching in times past (and not too distant either) that "believers need to be in the top professional positions in the world." It was part of his 'integrate, assimilate, *dominate*' (I think there was another word, but I forgot what it was, but what I have here is a general feel for what he taught) plan for 'getting the Word out'. Uhh, why else do you think that they were still running Word in Business conferences up until a few years ago?

So now it's down to degrees of sin?

Sin is sin. It works death.

Are there degrees of being dead?

Some would say so.

Just remember...

Those who would say so are still alive to say so...

And have NO CLUE as to whether or not there are degrees of being dead.

I will say it again...

Go to your local bookstore, buy a copy of "Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith" by John Krakauer, famed outdoor adventure writer. This is a departure from what he is known for, books like "Into the Wild" and "Into Thin Air", BUT it is a very enlightening book that you can't put down. You'll learn more about these FLDS and LDS groups than you ever will on one show of Dr. Phil.

I have brought the book up numerous times before because of some of the similarities with TWI and I just think it is important that people become aware of these groups. It has been going on for decades.

So why the recent attention? I heard an NPR bit on this same Colorado City group. Apparently the new DA of AZ wants to bust these guys. Something many in the past have either not been able to do or afraid to do. Many think he might pull it off this time. I sure hope so.

GO GET THE BOOK