GreaseSpot Cafe

What was Jesus thinking about on the cross?

In my Sunday school class I asked this question to my students.

Many Christian songs say Jesus was thinking about us when he was hanging on the cross.

Is this accurate or was he thinking about someone else? What was his motivation while living and dying?

quote:
In my Sunday school class I asked this question to my students.

Many Christian songs say Jesus was thinking about us when he was hanging on the cross.

Is this accurate or was he thinking about someone else? What was his motivation while living and dying?

I would like to know the age of your Sunday school class students and what their responses were!!!

Really I would like to know

i might learn something of value

Did you describe all the bloody issues and pain and agony and all that kind of stuff involved crucifixion?

I mean how old is this group of students you are teaching def!!!!

let's get real here ~~~

Song

I am not letting this go def!!!!!!

WHAT IS THE AGE OF YOUR SUNDAY SCHOOL CLASS STUDENTS???

take care of my Mother

Father forgive them

When his sweat was like drops of blood was when i think he lived this day and time in his mind. He had learned how to deal with pain cuz he knew what was coming up.

Hebrews 12:2 says that Jesus endured the cross for the joy that was set before him, despising the shame.

I think he was thinking of the joy that was set before him.

I'm reminded of the movie of the Passion where his mother comes to him and he says something like, "Look mom; I'm making everything new!"

In this context we are told to consider him as the author and finisher of our faith lest we become wearied and faint in our minds.

I think we are to think as he thought of the joy that was set before him.

I think if we keep reading in Hebrews we see the joy that was set before him - the same joy that is set before us, life, the peaceable fruit of righteousness, the inheritance of our birthright, the true mount Sion, the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, an innumerable company of angels, the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, and to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Able, things which cannot be shaken, a kingdom which cannot be moved.

Also when Jesus suffered outside the gate of the earthly city that he might go to the heavenly he did so with us in mind that he might sanctify us with his own blood. Therefore, let us also go outside the camp of the organizations of men which worship the golden calf to him, bearing his reproach; for, like him, we have no continuing city here, but seek one to come.

By Him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

Fot the joy that is set before us.

Tom

Nice post Tom.

And Jesus saw this for real.

because it is real...

It wasn't his imagination.

I think of the mount of transfiguration

in light of this. Wonder how many times Jesus

went there in his mind - to see it...

• 2 weeks later...

Last October I was hospitalized with sepsis.

Sepsis is a nasty thing and frequently kills folks like me. (35% death rate in Severe Sepsis...50% death rate in Septic Shock.)

Sepsis is very painful.

Sepsis induces hallucinations.

The hallucinations I had for 3 days of my hospital stay were conversations with Jesus while he was on the cross.

When I asked him how endured the cross, he said, "Prayer".

Anyone who spends time praying knows the joy of being in the presence of the Father.

I'm not saying this is "right". I am saying it's something to think about.

My S.S. class are adults, approx 21-50.

We are studying a book called Cat and Dog Theology and the lesson was that many Christian songs suggest Jesus was thinking of us while on the cross.

The book suggests that Jesus was focused on bringing glory to his Father in death, just as he did in life.

Look at John 12 and 17.

• 2 weeks later...

RE: Spring Lecture Series Presents "Cat and Dog Theology"

Spring Lecture Series Presents "Cat and Dog Theology"

February 27, 2004

“The Bible can be seen as one book with one introduction, one story and one conclusion.” But who is the main character of that story?

Through humorous generalizations, Missouri Baptist University’s Spring Lecture Series offers an eye opening, fast-action seminar presenting UnvelinGLORY’s “Cat and Dog Theology.” The lecture delivers a heart message to a postmodern generation that has been taught to interpret literature, including the Bible, through their own personal perspective.

On day one of the lecture series, speaker Dr. Gerald Robison began speed-reading page one of the Bible. Student eyes glazed over and jaws slacked. After several minutes, Robison broke from reading. “I’m going to ask the question, you’ve all been thinking,” he said. “‘Is he going to read us the entire Bible?’”

The seminar vividly showcases two Christian viewpoints, compared to the different attitudes embedded in a dog and a cat.

A dog says: “You pet me, you feed me, you shelter me, you love me, You must be God.” A cat says: “You pet me, you feed me, you shelter me, you love me, I must be God.”

“The average true believer says the Bible is all about God, but lives as if humanity is… Humanity often replaces God on the throne,” says Dr. Robison.

“Cat and Dog Theology” challenges the listener to switch from meology to theology. This challenge dictates seeing the scriptures with God as the main character, not humanity. When this change is made, the Christian attitude switches from “God lives for us” to “we live for God.”

In addition, the lecture series encourages readers to give all verses equal weight; verses of encouragement and blessing must be read side-by-side with verses discussing Christian suffering and sacrifice. The American Christian’s view of blessings is not incorrect, says Dr. Robison, merely incomplete.

Dr. Robison serves as Vice-President of UnveilinGLORY. His passion is to see God's people become excited and committed to glorifying God and to taking the gospel to all peoples. Gerald co-authored the book Cat and Dog Theology with Bob Sjogren. He has pastored churches in the United States, as well as in Australia and the Netherlands. To find out more about “Cat and Dog Theology” visit http://www.JealousGod.org.

Missouri Baptist University is a premier Christian university in Saint Louis, offering graduate and undergraduate studies in over thirty specialized fields and nine degrees. MBU's education and fine arts programs are nationally known in addition to business, religion, administration of justice, and more. MBU is currently one of the fastest growing higher education institutions in Missouri with an enrollment of over 4,000 students at four locations in the greater Saint Louis area — West County, Lincoln County, Jefferson County, and Franklin County.

# # #

© 2005 Missouri Baptist University | One College Park Dr. | St. Louis, MO | 63141-8698

(314) 434-1115 | (877) 434-1115 | fax: (314) 434-7596

http://www.mobap.edu/info/news/archives/000241.asp