GreaseSpot Cafe

Vacation Bible School

Jim

Ok, I head out this morning and the first thing I see is a big banner at the church on the corner, "Vacation Bible School, July 11-15". It made me cringe. When I was in grade school, my parents made me go to vacation bible school and I hated it. Here you spend all the school year waiting for summer, only to be stuck in a stuffy church, wearing your best clothes for a week.

Anyone else hate vacation bible school?

I loved Vacation Bible School. Of course, being able to wear shorts and jeans may have had something to do with it. Really wasn't much "schooling," but I got to hang out with lots of other kids from my school and church, and play games and sing songs and do crafts. It was one less boring week in my summer vacation.

Jim:

quote:
Anyone else hate vacation bible school?

I remember going to Vacation Bible School each summer.

I dont recall hating it, or liking it for that matter. Nobody gave me the option of disliking it icon_smile.gif:)-->

I really dont remember 'learning' anything there. But it got me away from home and away from the over-sight of my parents, so it was 'worth' it.

These days among other Boy Scout parents and others, some of them do send their kids. I get the idea that over-all they feel poorly about the quality of education and up-bringing that their kids are getting. Not able to spare anymore time themselves in the raising of their children, and not wanting their kids to be running lose more than absolutely necessary; they see a solid week of church as a posetive thing. 'education' and religous background and 'saints' to watch the munchkins sounds like a deal. [to some]

I am packing our Motorhome and getting ready to leave soon, so we will not be doing any Vacation Bible school this year.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

My 9 year old is going to VBC next week.

We get notices from her school every May or so. Last year was first she wanted to go.

She enjoyed it, wore shorts,whatever she wanted to wear.

If she wants to go again next year, fine. If she doesn't, I couldn't possibly care less.

It's fun for her, for now. And then end of week program for parents was wonderful!