GreaseSpot Cafe

Red's story

red

My mother's sister got her "in the way" soon after she and my dad married. My father took pfal but never got to into things. Late seventies, early eighties the east side of Indianapolis wasn't such a bad pplace to go to twig. My brother came along. Then I came along and my story began. I grew up in the Way. As a child I was thrilled to be a part of the great household. I always took every class every chance I got. I was totlly involved, I thought.

When it came to my father, he just wasn't involved when it came to way functions of any kind. Mom took bro and me to the ROA every year, she went to every advance, we made the trip to HQ twice a month. For me that was like a second home. Mom took us to Camp Gunnison 4 times. The last time my dad went.

We never went corp or WOW, or ran a twig.

Around 94 the Way had began to "encourage" people to be more equaly yoked. In other words, dad should become an advanced class grad; cause mom was.

So dad goes through the process of preparing for the advanced class. I'm also headed there.

In our part of Indy, that included homestudies that had to have an exact word as the answer not anything else that resembles it. There were class deadlines to be met, group meetings for candidates, surprise home inspections, and intense scrutiny of our entire family.

Dad and mom started fighting more. That caused intense marital counseling from the FC.

ROA 95 was still fun for me as a teen. I got to see all these great people I'd grown up visiting with at ROA. LCM ranted and raved and I bought it all.

LCM started m&a-ing anyone who looked the wrong way. For us it started with time out's. I was 15 and our family was told we were not welcome until mom and dad had a marriage that was exactly the way they instructed in a recent article on marriage. There were other issues as well.

Mainly my father not wanting to be ordered around by a FC who should mind his own business. Of course he had to act as head of the household and lead the family according to the Way's every directions, suggestions, and whims.

Trying to keep his wife, dad broke down and tryed to be a good little wafer for mom. Our family was welcomed back.

My older brother got interested in animal rights. He decided to become vegitarian, then vegan. FC and BC decide that that is idolatry.

My brother's now unwelcome at fellowship unless he'll eat meat. He gets upset and starts rebeling. So now he has the spirit of "rebelion and witchcraft" and should be stoned like they did in the old testiment.

He just didn't like what was going on.

FC threatens my folks that he is contaminating their house with evil which opens the door to the advaersary to ruin our lives and the rest of the household's lives by our association with him than them. Like he's got cooties or something. So they had to choose between their son and the Way (only way for the protection from the adversary that seeks night and day to devaure them).

They chose to kick him out.

Then they decided that a woman and her daughter should live with us now that we had an extra room. They had just moved into state and had been living with our FC.

"free at last"

I thought it was really fun living with this lady and her daughter, that the FC had decided should move in with us. It was kinda like having a sister. They were great people.

One day they just took off, moved back to Calorado where they were from. We got a letter from them that they were doing well, they'd left the Way because they'd noticed things weren't right.

We were put on another time-out. They never went back. As long as they were married, they were unwelcome unless they could be on probation and prove that dad fully supported the Way leadership and their marriage was exacly as local leadership would demand, mustard jar where they said. And micro managed by fc.

They were told that if thtey came back and couldn't meet their probation requirments; they would be m&aed and never welcome back.

Dad was glad not to be micromanaged by them and enjoyed his old freedom back. He made less than his best effort to do as they requested.

Then he heard other stories from other m&aed in our area. He decided he never wanted to go back.

Mom still couldn't be a part unless she would divorce him.

I turned 18 and moved out on my own.

"free at last"

Now at 18 I start looking for a fellowship in my area. That was the deal. I was unwelcome until I was no longer under their roof because they were the parents and children were to follow their parents lead and the parents are the spiritual advisers not an FC.

I couldn't find anyone who was still in from my fellowship or branch. So I called everyone who's number I had. Finally I got ahold of someone who gave me numbers to reach people in my area.

I was so happy to hear in my new apartment complex lived a FC and his family. I called them up to get a twig schedule.

"free at last"

Things had changed. Not only was it no longer called twig, it's fellowship. But now it doesn't just let anyone attend. Now I had to pass tests to prove that I want to be a "likeminded believer" and "disciplined desciple of the Way".

My first task was odd to me. I wouldl've understood them saying that they wanted to meet me and chat before inviting me. Instead it was explained to me that I was to have 3 meals at their house first, and another list of silly things I don't remember. It was odd. What happened to the outreach, inviting people. Now it was all about keeping the household spiritually pure.

Then I had to faithfully attend EVERY meeting for so long and never miss by putting anything in front of that obligation to prove God first in his life by going to hear some guy talk Bible at his house. This was more important than things like little brother's birthday, leaving my birthday party ect...such is probtion.

It didn't seem right to me but I was told I was just to spiritualy immature to understand yet, I wasn't a ADV class grad.

I'd been raised to believe they were always right. Boy did I want to get to that class and understand things. After the class I still didn't understand. That's when they said I just needed to study the material more.

I started dating a great guy I'd met at a DTA special. He was from out of town.

Shortly after I was looking to make a move. I'd heard all my life that whenever possible I am to live with a way believer. Now it was a disciplined desciple. I found a nice apartment for rent by myself since I hadn't found a way believer to live with.

I'd been living with non wafer friends. One had an astrology book they didn't aprove of so they would't come over because she wouldn't get rid of it.

FC had told me that living with non wafers stumped my spiritual growth.

FC decided that the beautiful apartment that I'd found was too close to my parents home. I was told to limit my exposure to them. (They were not wafers.)

FC suggests that he put the word out that I need a rommate to find a likeminded desciplined desciple to live with any where in Indy. The farther away from my ousted family, the better.

"free at last"

He found a woman who was a disciplined desciple who needed a roomate. I agree to check her out FC knows best, he's my spiritual advisor right. So I move an hour and a half away from home.

I was excited to be welcomed by the household in my new town. It was a nice bonus that the guy I'd been dating lived in town now.

But the spiritual enlightenment and growth were my main concern. My guy and I had our own issues and fought a lot.

This new town had it's own set of wayrules. For instance anytime you met with someone it was a date. My female roomate and I go to breakfast together. "it's a date", if I ran into a friend that was a guy, at the store and stopped to talk to him without other people around say I bump into him in an isle that nobody else is in. That would be considered cheating on my boyfriend.

I wasn't used to these unnessasary crazy rules that meant I couldn't walk down the street without cheating. I can't totally blame the way for his strang thinking. However, it is where these teachings came from. I found a way believer who hadn't heard that teaching and our relationship was great for a while. Life seemed good.

Then I signed the lease and roomate and I moved to a bigger apartment.

"free at last"

I was shocked that FC took the liberty of placing himself in charge of organizing our move. I had invited my strong boyfriend to helf move. I was confronted by FC that it was against protacal to ask someone from another fellowship to help me without gowing through the proper channels. First submitting the request to my FC and if he okayed it he would submitt it to my boyfriends FC and if it was okay with his FC then my boyfriend would be allowed to be part of the project.

To me that seemed unreasonable!

After lengthy confrontaions about why I wasn't spiritualy mature enough to already know these biblical truths; I still didn't understand the FC's logic.

I was stunned to realize that because I was unmarried, the household was spiritually responsible for my life, I was to respect and obey them as my spiritual guardians.

At this point I've been out on my own considered an adult by everyone I'd known for the past two years.

I was making preparations for the advanced class special long before I'd moved to this town. I was to share a hotel room with relatives. They were from Georia and since I was in Iniana, I was excited to spend that time with them.

I was told by my FC that I had to cancel and they would just have to find someone else to take my place. I was to be under someone from our branch area's supervision at the special because I was only 20 and FC was responsible for me. God would work through him and not a relative who was also a limb coordinator. lol.

I asked questions and never got answers to where they got this logic. Once again I was confronted about not being spiritually mature enough. How could I have missed all this in the advanced class. I needed to just put my head into the sylabus and study more.

I had settled into a nice rutine and was starting to make friends in the comunnity and at work. I think that scared my FC.

Soon after Fc began scrutinizing my finances. He decided that he needed to sit down with me and come up with abudget plan. To do this he needed to know what I spend just about every penny on. I had to eplaine my paychecks, have their okay to work where I did ext...

A few times I was strickly confronted and lectured on having my abs check at fellowship. It was my FC's responsibility to exlaine to the BC if I didn't bring it when he expected it. You see sometimes since I'd go straight from work to my other job or fellowship depending on the day. I didn't always have time to go to the bank to deposit my check, and you couldn't pay cash abs. So FC wanted me to write a check even if there was no money in the bank. "Writing the check is putting God first. Waiting till next time would be putting anything that I bought before the next fellowship meeting before God" It doesn't matter if it bounces." It's the act and timing that matters to God.

Oh, I argued that one. I asked for chapers and verses. I was told that I was wrong to question them.

I think this provoked my FC to really pick on me.

"free at last"

The FC began to micro manage my life. I got constanly cursed at by my FC. He began to verbally abuse me, threaten me with death, and harrass me at work and home.

And he had all the control. My roomate was a good little wafer who would invite him in to harass me. Her and I got into a lot of arguments. But that's another story.

The only way to make my life less misreable was to obey the FC and pretend to agree with him at every confrontation to save time. He'd never give up until he thought I agreed with him.

"free at last"

Back when our family was ousted I was hurt that everyone except one friend seemed to turn their back on me.

I felt like I'd instanly lost half my family.

I was afraid to lose them now that I had some of them back in my life.

I didn't want them to dislike me or think I was possessed or anything.

I didn't want to hurt them either, especially my boyfriend. He was amazing. I rarely got to see him now that FC was rampaging.

I didn't want to let a few bad things like being misrable all the time, get in the way of putting God first by being in fellowship with him by staying faithful to The household of God.

"free at last"

I tried to accept everything. I couldn't accept them any more.

I was worried about my safety when I told my FC and worried about my things when I told my roomate. I knew that she would be upset. Both of them were cruel enough when they weren't upset or angry at me over anything in particular.

When my roomate went out of town I moved my things and myself to someplace safe and out of town.

Then I called my roomate and told her that I was leaving the Way. I tryed to discuss our living arangement and make plans. I wanted to know if she still wanted to live with me, or make other arangements. I meantioned all of our options. She wouldn't even talk to me about it. She just said that living together now was out of the options, no way.

I called my boyfriend ot explaine everything to him. He cuoldn't understand where I was coming from or my reasons. So we broke up.

"free at last"

I wanted the support of my brother who'd been out several years when I talked to this FC. I didn't expect my last conversation with him to be an easy one. I was right. He threatened to sue me for leaving.

In response I threatened to sue him for harrassement if he ever called me again. I informed him that I had Two witness on the phone hear me tell him not to call again.

I also informed him that anyone at my old work would back me if it came to court, because they'd noticed the harrassement and were concerned about me.

I never heard from FC again. I'm sure he was in the background manipulating old roomates interactions wtih me. She couldn't give me any answers without having to call me back. She was the type of wafer who truely believed that her life would be ruinned if she didn't check with FC before doing anything. She loved the spiritual advisor thing. It made her feal safe to know God was inspiring someone to give her in

"free at last"

Then my roomate threatened to sue me for moving all my things out of the apartment and said if I didn't have things there she could sue me for abandonment even though I was still paying half of all the bills and on the lease.

So I brought some things back up there. I obviously wasn't welcome there. So until she calmed down I went to visit a friend and stayed on her couch for some time.

I was offered my old job back that I had had before moving away from Indy. Now I was making double the money I was making a few days earlier while in the Way.

Now where's the real abundance?

Where's the real power?

In having control of your own life.

"free at last"

Still it was a stressful time for me.

Roomate and I kept contact through letters.

Eventually she threatened to sue me if I didn't come back to the apartment more often.

So we tryed to discuss the situation a couple times when I was up there.

One time I had to call the police on herjust to get into our place after she knew I was coming.

So many stories there, but nows not the time.

Eventually, she sent me a notice that if I didn't sign off the lease within 10 days of that letter being typed, she was going to sue me for keeping my lease perfectly.

By the time I moved the things I'd brought back out there out again, she'd told me she would only speak to me through her lawyer. SO I show up to move everything out she gets mad at me for not wanting to talk to her.

"free at last"

Since signing off the lease and moving out of her life completely, I've had no harrassement from her or my old FC.

Next July I'll be marrying a wonderful guy that I love.

I don't feel the need to attend a church

"free at last"

Even better, My innie relatives are still fine with me. I was worried that they wouldn't accept me anymore.

I'm a little concerned because now I've been out two years and my parents have divorced and my mother still is considering returning to fellowship.

"free at last"

Red,

That is a wild example of TWIs bull.... they pulled on people! I was at HQ and experienced quite a bit of micrcomanagement, but not as much as some--thankfully. We had married couples at HQ who worked under different cabinet overseeers. They both had a different set of rules; who does what? Who says TWI is a like-minded household? I say BS!

When I left HQ, I lived with some people. They are very nice, but wanted to live like college people. They both worked different hours than I did. They were late owls. I had to go to bed early to get up early. We had very conflicting schedules, so I decided to move. Also, I worked quite a ways from work, so my commute was pretty long. I was tired of that. I live in a sunny state on the southern west coast, need I say more about traffic? I decided to move closer to work, and then made the arrangements. I told my roommates, my landlord (a nice lady in TWI), and my fc coordinator. All in that order. The only reason I gave the fc was that I was sick of traffice; I didn't want to bring my roomates' life-style into it; it wasn't their business. I got reproved for not considering my fc in the process of making my decision. Afterall, there is safety in a multitude of counselors, right? I told the fc that I wasn't undecided about the decision and that I didn't need counsel. That didn't make me too popular.

This fc talked to the bc (who was also the lc) and must have made some big deal because all of a sudden my roommates were getting calls to see if they felt jilted because I was moving. I had given 30 days notice. Isn't that plenty of time? I ended up giving them my last month's rent (which I had already paid when I moved in and was expecting to get back) so they would have more time to find another roommate. This made my decision acceptable. What a crock!

To top things off, my fc called me to ask me if I have the landlord 30 days written notice. Afterall, the landlord was a believer. The fc made it their duty to see that I handled everything properly. I told the fc I was an adult, and I handled all that I was supposed to.

I get soooooooooooooo peeeessed off thinking about this crap! This all happened after Martinpuke left! Who says it's a kinder, gentler ministry??? I don't!!

Innies wake up!!!

(Sorry this post was sooooooo long!!)

To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart.

Welcome Red!

It is nice to see yet another youngster out and about and here at GS.

Your story made me crindge just reading it and thinking about the BS I too put up with.

It really was "micro-management". They had a problem with my cell division. icon_smile.gif:)--> My RNA wasn't believing hard enough. I was digesting my food to quickly. My brain cells weren't renewing my mind often enough. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

A little science humor for you.

I am glad you are out. I had some very similar situations as did many people here. I too have innie family members. And they have lerned to accept me as well. That feels good. It will feel better when they're out.

Anyways, thanks for sharing.

Martinpuke, WaferNot?

Did you eat the same leftovers I did? icon_razz.gif:P-->

Lindyhopper:

quote:
Martinpuke, WaferNot?

Did you eat the same leftovers I did?

I guess we did. By the way, I hope your parents get out too. I really like them. I saw them at the advanced-class-not-so-special. I talked to your mom. I always thougth of them a fun people.

To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart.

What an incredible story to show the horrendous control that a person must yield to TWI leaders to stay categorized a disciple.

You were in violation for wanting your personal property to go with you when you left TWI and moved out? They desired to keep control of you by controlling what was yours is what I am thinking. I know of some very prosperous people that when they left TWI or were kicked out had to demand all their personal property back from all the innies that were borrowing it from them. The lady told the LC that if they were not good enough for the household neither was their stuff.

So the innies WC leaders made arrangements to meet in a parking lot and give the stuff back. While this was going on behind the scenes I watched as innies complained about people leaving TWI stealing some of their things.

I also watched them move people out of places that had their names on leases and scream the person being placed on probation better walk the walk and do as they say if they were ever to return to the household. Saw where some were even told to trust the innies to get their deposits back when the innies decided to move out and no agreement when that might be. Heck, even saw them move an adult child out secretly because the mother was going to leave and low and behold the innies needed a room mate and their money at the same time.

Anyway thanks for letting this be placed in plain view for any one that will read it!

Grizzy COLOR>SIZE>

Red,

Congrats, congrats, congrats...

One for the engagement to a wonderful guy,

One for the disengagement from TWI,

And one for finding your true family again.

And I hope you and your mother can keep it real between each other, regardless of what happens next.

Keep writing it down, writing it out.

I hope you stay and post awhile.

Todd

Thank you all for the responses.

Gladtobeout, I sent you an e-mail with my address. You may e-mail me if you would like.

I didn't list an e-mail address publicaly. That was because if I don't recognize the senders adress I assume it is spam. I don't want to deleat messages from greasespotters without glancing at them. So if anyone else wishes to e-mail me let me, please just let me know.

"free at last"