GreaseSpot Cafe

Gates of Fire (Iraq - non-political - please keep it that way)

LG

Very poignant, Long Gone. Thanks for sharing it with us. I've got it bookmarked.

My ex is a police sniper and belongs to an online sniper group who also sponsors the Adopt a Sniper Program for the snipers in Iraq. I always enjoyed reading their first hand accounts that they woiuld post to the list. It's an exclusive group and you have to jump through all kinds of hoops to join so that they can make sure it's really just snipers so they can talk about things that maybe might not be fit for "Joe Public".

Down home, real live, personal accounts are what I find the most interesting and heartening.

Thanks Long Gone I read a number of blogs from Iraq but this one is new to me.

quote:
Down home, real live, personal accounts are what I find the most interesting and heartening.

This is one that I was reading regularly from a 24 year old Iraqi girl in Baghdad, if you like civilian accounts--- sadly there have been no entries since July 15th-and I have no idea what has happened to her.

http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/

I have been following Michael yon for a while.

Here is a link to Hugh Hewwit Interviewing Micael Yon about his latest post.

A while back he was exploring Kurdistan and came accross a villiage that claims to be part of the worlds oldest religion.

He also gave a very insightful analysis and an explanation of why it seems like the regular news channels only seem to report the bad news.

I've been receiving Yon's reports via email for a while now too, Ckeer.

Michael Yon is an independent journalist who is in the thick of things in Iraq. The reports are fascinating if you want a real report with no sugar coating. You can either frequent his blog as posted above, or sign up for his email alerts.

J.