GreaseSpot Cafe

Mandolin, banjo,, country, bluegrass and folk music info!!

Cowgirl

I wanted to start a new thread up on this topic since the previous one seemed to of vanished into thin air. If anyone has anything to contribute please do!!

So for starters, the sound you are hearing is from a "Rigel Mandolin" Any of you who are familiar with the mandolin I'm sure will agree, it definitely has a beautiful sound to it!

Also DMiller mentioned a site that's worth while checking out http://www.mandolincafe.com/

Cowgirl

running_home.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chopping is the name for rhythm -- when you pay the chord, then dampen the strings immediately with your left hand so they don't ring out. This gives the chord played a percussive quality.

Mandolin and banjo pickers both chop a lot in bluegrass songs while some other person is taking the lead break, or singing.

This is a refreshing thread

quote:
I wonder if his fiddle will ever be played again, or just hang in some museum somewhere?

I hope that it gets played again, some instruments, especially violins or fiddles, are like some sort of gifts to mankind. This one has passed through history and apparently produced great music for generations---I hope that it continues on.

That is one beautiful fiddlehead

o and the mando ain't bad either!

(shouldn't have taken my breath away with the fiddle first i guess

quote:
Bill Monroe's 1923 Gibson F5, master model mandolin signed by Lloyd Loar. The Kentucky-based group, Bill Monroe Bluegrass Music Foundation. had tried to purchase the instrument for $1.125 million. James Monroe, son of the late “father” of bluegrass music, argued it should remain with him. But the foundation claimed it still had a valid contract to buy the mandolin. As the ownership issue had been entangled in legal battles for two years, the mandolin sat in a vault at an undisclosed location. As part of a confidential settlement reached January 8, 2005 in Davidson County Chancery Court in Nashville, Monroe's son James will retain possession of the mandolin.

Damn lawyers, and all involved!! An instrument was meant to be picked, not haggled over, regardless of how important it was. mad.gif

But then again I've met James Monroe. He wouldn't do it justice either. He's out for the money just like Bill (his father) was -- and if the mandolin that made history being in a museum served him best monetarily, that it where it would end up.

icon_frown.gif:(-->

OK, for better or worse, I'm gonna post this. I just bought a mandolin this year. Have been playing guitar since 1971, KB since 77 and can pretty much play any stringed instrument. Just a knack I guess. But anyway, my second day with the mandolin, I was looking for a Zepplin-ish kind of tune and came up with THIS. Now I'm sure ya'll are much better than me on Mandolin, but before you laugh too much, keep in mind, this was my second day of working with mandolin. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Rick

Hi Cowgirl

A very cheap one. icon_smile.gif:)--> A Rogue. Didn't want to spend a lot of money since I had never played one before. But I might get a better one. Right now I'm really into the resonator. I play more blues than anything else, but every time I pick up the resonator, this cool bluegrass stuff just seems to come out. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Rick