GreaseSpot Cafe

Mandolin, banjo,, country, bluegrass and folk music info!!

Cowgirl

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Luck Cowgirl!

btw a fiddler/banjo playin friend recently showed me this website:

THE HONKING DUCK

where you can listen to hundreds of old 78 records...Its a real treasure trove for fans and students of Old Time music.

It stays on a lot around my house lately-There are alot of great songs there---A lot are fairly simple and not too difficult to learn and jam with if you're in the mood

Heres a little sample i'm listening to just now:

Jordan Is A Hard Road toTravel

Uncle Dave Macon -1927

Edited by mstar1

Mr Miller, I checked out Tim O'Brien's website but I wasn't able to hear any of his music, by the look of things he's pretty talented when it comes to handling a variety of instruments. Have you got anything of his that I can hear, that you can post a link to?

Cowgirl

Hey y'all this is a great thread...any idea were an ideal hammered dulcimer dealer is located? I have always wanted to learn to play one.

My forte if you will, is 6-string acoustic...have a little darling Yamaha with me over her, but a real sweet Gallagher (Doc Watson model) at home.

Had the pleasure years ago to play a 1904 F-holed Martin...arched-top. It's a shame that type of aged sound can't be built into an instrument, huh?

Oh well...always remember this, "You can pick your friends or you can pick your nose...but you shouldn't pick your friends nose"

...Happpy Pickin'

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to post these two songs either in the "Music--who've you seen/heard lately" thread or this one. I would call this "folk music" I heard this group years ago and I still have one of their cassettes. I must say they absolutely blew my mind!! They're Canadians from the west coast lots of mandolin, dulicmer and guitar.

The 1st song will really tug at your heart, the music in it is beautiful !!

the 2nd is also wonderful.

Ala, if I remeber correctly I had told you about this group but couldn't get their music to you so here they are!!

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

The 2nd one takes a few seconds to load but it's well worth listening to.

Edited by Cowgirl